In his nightly powwow with reporters on Monday evening, Cardinals general manager John Mozeliak touched on a wide range of topics — but before he even took the first question, he got right to one specific point.
“I guess I should start with an opening statement,” Mozeliak said, “that the Bartlett rumor is not true.”
The “Bartlett rumor” was a renewal of reports that the Cards are pursuing Tampa Bay infielder Jason Bartlett. Jon Heyman of SI.com and Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch were among those who reported that things might heat up once again.
However, Mozeliak explained that from his perspective, any notion of Bartlett coming to St. Louis is simply not realistic at this point.
He pointed to the fact that the club is happy with its recent acquisition of Ryan Theriot, and also noted that by spending $8 million on Lance Berkman, St. Louis is rapidly approaching the upper bounds of its 2011 player payroll.
“It’s twofold,” Mozeliak said. “One is, we’ve already made a trade for a player. And number two is after we did the Berkman deal, that [money] is becoming something that we have to be aware of too. We’re pretty comfortable now with what we’ve done in the middle infield.
“When we actually did that deal [trading for Theriot], there was still the potential to do something else in the middle infield. But then since then, subsequently, we’ve added Berkman and we don’t anticipate doing an additional move.”