Roundup: Coming to Terms
Monday proved to be an eventful day in baseball as several teams came to terms with players.
Will the rest of the week be as busy?
In the National League East, the Nationals acquired left-hander Tom Gorzelanny from the Cubs for three Minor Leaguers — outfielder Michael Burgess, right-hander A.J. Morris and left-hander Graham Hicks — according to two baseball sources. According to another source, Gorzelanny became expendable after the Cubs acquired right-hander Matt Garza in a trade with the Rays.
Gorzelanny is one of eight pitchers who will compete for a rotation spot. He is coming off a season in which he went 7-9 with a 4.09 ERA in 29 games (23 starts) with Chicago.
The Nationals agreed to terms on a one-year, $2.75 million contract with left-hander John Lannan to avoid salary arbitration.
Also in the NL East on Monday, the Mets agreed to terms with right-handed pitcher Chris Young, according to a baseball source. The deal, which the Mets have not confirmed, is pending a physical.
Young is 48-34 with a 3.80 ERA over a seven-year career with the Rangers and Padres.
In the AL East, the Blue Jays added another reliever into the mix for their vacant closer’s role by signing right-hander Jon Rauch to a one-year contract worth $3.5 million. His contract with Toronto also includes a club option for 2012 valued at $3.75 million.
The Blue Jays also reached agreement with right-handers Shawn Camp, Casey Janssen and Jesse Litsch on one-year contracts with each pitcher to avoid arbitration. Janssen will earn $1,095,000 in 2011, and Litsch will earn $830,000. Camp’s one-year deal is worth $2.25 million.
Around the league:
* B.J. Upton and the Rays reached an agreement on a one-year deal for $4.825 million to avoid arbitration.
* The Rockies have reached a Minor League agreement with Jason Giambi, who has served as a pinch-hitter and backup to Todd Helton at first base with the team since late in the 2009 season. Giambi’s deal is pending a physical. The club also reached a two-year contract with a club option for 2013 with newly acquired right-handed reliever Matt Lindstrom.
* The Marlins reached agreement on one-year contracts with closer Leo Nunez and right-handed setup reliever Edward Mujica to avoid arbitration.
* The Indians reached agreement on a one-year contract with Asdrubal Cabrera to avoid arbitration with the shortstop. The deal is worth $2.025 million.
* The Royals reached agreement with pitcher Robinson Tejeda for $1.55 million to avoid arbitration.
* The Tigers reached agreement with Armando Galarraga for $2.3 million to avoid arbitration, according to Sport Illustrated’s Jon Heyman.