Ordonez, Guillen plan on playing in 2012
If Magglio Ordonez has his way, his last memory on a baseball field won’t be of him trying to hobble around with a re-fractured ankle. The All-Star outfielder and former batting champion is set to start rehab shortly with the goal of playing next season, his good friend and longtime teammate Carlos Guillen said.
That fits in with other reports from the past few weeks suggesting Ordonez would go through the rehab process and try to play. Ordonez himself hasn’t been quoted since the Tigers season ended in the ALCS.
Tigers president/general manager Dave Dombrowski said last week that Ordonez underwent surgery to repair his fractured right ankle. Guillen said in a phone interview Saturday that Ordonez is going to start the rehab process shortly, again working out in south Florida.
“He’s doing better,” Guillen said.
So, too, is Guillen, who says this will be his first offseason with his full health in a few years. Like Ordonez, Guillen is a free agent, and he plans on playing.
“Why not? If you feel you can play, why not,” he asked.
Neither of them will be playing with theTigers, barring a reversal of plans. Dombrowski said last week that he told Ordonez and Guillen in the season’s final weeks that Detroit had no plans to re-sign them once they hit the free-agent market at season’s end. Ordonez, who turns 38 years old in January, has been a Tiger since 2005. The 36-year-old Guillen has been a Tiger since 2004, when he was one of the first moves in the Tigers’ rebuilding plan.
“It’s baseball,” Guillen said. “You know where you start. You never know where you finish. I understand.”
– Jason Beck