Marlins ink Reyes to six-year deal

MLB.com’s Joe Frisaro is reporting from the Winter Meetings in Dallas that the Marlins have reached a 6-year deal with shortstop Jose Reyes, pending a physical. Multiple other news outlets have also reported deal, and FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal has reported the offer is for $106 million.

The new-look Marlins have had their sights set on Reyes since the beginning of the free-agent signing period last month. Mets GM Sandy Alderson said Sunday that if the reported contract terms are correct, New York would not match the offer. Newsday’s Ken Davidoff tweeted Monday morning that Alderson said he hasn’t officially heard of the Reyes deal, but he is assuming it is going through.

Reyes became the first Mets player to win the batting title, coming off his .337 season with a .384 on-base percentage. The Marlins, which will move into a new ballpark in 2012 under the leadership of new manager Ozzie Guillen, have made a significant splash already this offseason. The team also reached agreement on a three-year, $27 million contract with closer Heath Bell on Thursday night.

With the signing, the Marlins are expected to move three-time All-Star shortstop Hanley Ramirez to third base.

– Joey Nowak

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 646 other followers

%d bloggers like this: