11/27 Afternoon roundup: Yankees, Angels close to signings
- The Yankees are reportedly doing their best to bring back some of their prominent free agent targets and want to do so before the upcoming Winter Meetings. According to multiple reports, the club is close to working out a deal with left-hander Andy Pettitte, and talks with closer Mariano Rivera have also heated up. As for outfielder Ichiro Suzuki, there are conflicting reports about the progress of his potential deal, but both parties have expressed interest in the past of getting it done.
- Sticking to the AL East, Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star reported that the Red Sox and Royals have discussed a potential (and surprising) blockbuster deal that would send Jon Lester to Kansas City for top Royals outfield prospect Wil Myers.
- If Ryan Madson reverts to old form after Tommy John surgery, it could mean good things for the Angels, who are close to signing him to a one-year contract, MLB.com’s Alden Gonzalez has confirmed, following an initial report from CBSSports.com. Madson was born and raised in Southern California, currently lives in Temecula, Calif., and rehabbed from surgery in Anaheim under the watch of Angels doctors.
- The Marlins already have one great power hitter in Giancarlo Stanton, but they’re looking to add another this offseason. To do this, they’re taking a closer look at their home ballpark and the impact it has on the long ball. MLB.com’s Joe Frisaro takes a closer look here.
- The Padres are on the lookout for starting pitching, and innings-eaters like Joe Blanton and Shaun Marcum could be at the top of that wish list.