Early Indians rumblings at Meetings
Here are a few items of note concerning the Indians…
- Indians shortstop Asdrubal Cabrera reportedly has a limited no-trade clause in his contract, allowing him to veto trades to the Yankees, Red Sox, Tigers, Nationals, Giants and Mets. Cleveland is willing to listen to trade offers for Cabrera.
- In any trade talks, whether it’s for Cabrera or someone else like Shin-Soo Choo, Cleveland is asking a lot. The top priority is acquiring young starting pitching prospects.
- According to ESPN’s Buster Olney, the Indians had serious interest in fre-agent James Loney before he signed with the Rays.
- MLB.com has confirmed a report in the Plain Dealer that the Indians are in the process of selling the SportsTime Ohio TV network to Fox Sports Ohio. According to the PD, the deal could be worth $200-250 million and might be wrapped up before the end of this month.
- 6 p.m. CT — We met with Antonetti in his suite a little while ago. I will follow with some highlights in a bit.
- MLB.com’s Anthony Castrovince has learned that free-agent OF Grady Sizemore underwent microfracture surgery on his right knee in September. He will be sidelined until at least mid-season. The guy just can’t catch a break.
- Indians have been linked to free-agent outfielder Scott Hairston.