Trade deadline passes with no deals for Marlins
MIAMI — About 15 minutes before Wednesday’s non-waiver Trade Deadline, the Marlins sent out a text to an undisclosed team about a possible trade scenario.
“We threw out a couple of names,” president of baseball operations Larry Beinfest said.
The last-ditch, Hail Mary proposal was eventually answered with a, no thanks.
With that, the Trade Deadline passed without the Marlins making any moves.
It’s not surprising, because the club was bracing to stay the course. It has been discussed internally for a while with owner Jeffrey Loria, Beinfest, general manager Michael Hill and the rest of the organization.
“I think when Mike and I got in the office this morning, and updated Jeffrey, I don’t think we thought anything was going to happen,” Beinfest said. “It kind of turned out that way. We were on the phone. There were texts. There were some ideas. We threw out an idea late. It was kind of a normal day. We never got the sense that anything was close.”
The Marlins still could be active in August, when the waiver trading period gets underway.
“You never know,” Beinfest said. “Things change every day. Injuries. People on a run, not on a run. You just never know. We’ve made a bunch of deals in the last year. Today wasn’t our day to make a deal.”
It was expected that the Marlins would not move slugger Giancarlo Stanton, barring an overwhelming offer that never materialized. Closer Steve Cishek and lefty reliever Mike Dunn had drawn interest in recent months. All three are expected to be core players as the organization moves forward the rest of the season and into 2014.
Even a veteran like Chad Qualls, a free agent after the season, has value to the organization in its attempt to win as many games as possible.
Placido Polanco could be a candidate to be moved in August. There could be a potential match with the Yankees, who may have a need for third base depth.
— Joe Frisaro