A flurry of moves occurred on Friday, as teams and players exercised or declined options. Among those who will test the free agent market are right-handers Ubaldo Jimenez and Joe Nathan, while lefty Wandy Rodriguez will spend another season in Pittsburgh.
Here’s a full roundup of news and notes from today’s happenings:
- The Yankees and Derek Jeter agreed to a one-year, $12-million deal.
- The Red Sox picked up Jon Lester’s $13-million option.
- Our Bill Chastain runs down a list of players the Rays need to make decisions on, including second baseman Ben Zobrist, shortstop Yunel Escobar and outfielder David DeJesus.
- The Tigers had a busy day. Detroit declined their option on reliever Jose Veras and lost outfielder Matt Tuiasosopo and left-handed reliever Darin Downs to the D-backs and Astros, respectively, via waivers.
- The White Sox exercised their $4 million club option on reliever Matt Lindstrom.
- The Indians declined their option on outfielder Jason Kubel, putting him in the free-agent market with Jimenez.
- The A’s exercised their options on lefty Brett Anderson and outfielder Coco Crisp, while declining those of Kurt Suzuki and Chris Young.
- As previously mentioned, Nathan opted to become a free agent.
- The Mariners declined their options on outfielder Franklin Gutierrez and starter Joe Saunders.
- In non-roster-move news, our Brian McTaggart has a nice piece on 2013 No. 1 overall Draft pick Mark Appel, who moved back to Houston and began offseason workouts with a handful of other young players.
- Left-hander Johan Santana is a free agent after the Mets declined the $25-million option and paid him a $5.5-million buyout.
- Matt Williams was formally introduced as Nationals manager. Players like what they hear about Williams, who also finalized his coaching staff. Our Tracy Ringolsby writes that Nats GM Mike Rizzo is putting his faith in the first-time skipper.
- Our Jenifer Langosch breaks down the Carlos Beltran situation.
- The Cubs’ managerial search continues, this time with Brad Ausmus.
- Rodriguez is returning to the Pirates.
- The D-backs announced changes and promotions to their coaching staff. Dave McKay was named first-base coach, while bullpen coach Glenn Sherlock was promoted to third-base coach, and assistant hitting coach Turner Ward was bumped up to hitting coach. Alan Trammell remains as bench coach.
- There’s no new news between the Giants and Javier Lopez and Ryan Vogelsong.
– Cash Kruth