1/13 Hot Stove roundup
Only a few Minor League deals were signed on Monday, a relatively quiet day on the Hot Stove.
The White Sox and outfielder Dayan Viciedo also avoided arbitration, agreeing to a one-year deal.
One day after Alex Rodriguez’s suspension was reduced to 162 games, he sued Major League Baseball.
Other news and notes from Monday:
- Baltimore is interested in outfielders Delmon Young and Jack Cust.
- MLB.com’s Richard Justice writes that the Yankees need to land Japanese right-hander Masahiro Tanaka.
- Toronto’s Adam Lind tries to remain even keel.
- Infield is a concern for the Yankees, writes Anthony Castrovince.
- Manny Machado and Dylan Bundy are among those rehabbing at the Orioles’ minicamp.
- MLB.com ranked Boston’s Xander Bogaerts as the game’s best shortstop prospect.
- The Royals and right-hander Jeremy Guthrie restructured his contract to save the Royals $3 million in 2014.
- Right-hander Rick Porcello should benefit from the Tigers’ improved infield defense.
- Hall of Famer Paul Molitor is preparing for his new job as a Twins’ coach.
- Cleveland’s Francisco Lindor is among the game’s top shortstop prospects.
- Indians reporter Jordan Bastian answers questions in his inbox.
- Former White Sox closer Bobby Jenks is trying to get back into baseball.
- The Angels are said to be among Tanaka’s favorites.
- A’s reporter Jane Lee answers fans’ questions in this inbox.
- The A’s named Steve Connelly pitching coach for their short-season Class A affiliate.
- The Braves handed out 22 non-roster invites to Spring Training.
- Miami’s young pitchers are getting ready for Spring Training.
- Second baseman Chase Utley is upbeat about the Phillies’ chances this season.
- Mets reporter Anthony DiComo fields questions in this inbox.
- Braves outfielder B.J. Upton is a big Florida State fan.
- Cubs prospect Javier Baez, ranked as MLB.com’s No. 2 shortstop prospect, is hoping to arrive in the Majors sooner rather than later.
- Reds reporter Mark Sheldon answers fans’ question in this inbox.
- The Brewers announced their Minor League coaching staffs. So did the Pirates.
- The Cubs unveiled their new mascot, Clark.
- DJ LeMahieu studied hard to earn the Rockies’ second base job.
- Giants prospect Derek Law could be a key member of San Francisco’s bullpen.
– Cash Kruth