July 5 roundup
Nothing quite lived up to the Fourth of July blockbuster that sent Jeff Samardzija and Jason Hammel to the A’s, but there was a minor trade Saturday.
The Angels acquired left-hander Joe Thatcher from the D-backs for outfielder Tony Campana. In addition, the Angles designated left-hander Rich Hill for assignment.
Thoughts on the Samardzija/Hammel deal:
- Jon Heyman thinks the Cubs won the deal.
- Mike Petriello of Fangraghs thinks it’s a win/win.
- The Yankees were involved, obviously.
- Addison Russell might’ve been able to net the A’s David Price.
- This means the A’s might extend Jed Lowrie.
- You’re not the only one excited about a left side of Kris Bryant and Addison Russell.