Rockies not planning to move Tulo, Gonzalez

Rockies general manager Jeff Bridich reportedly told FOX Sports’ Jon Heyman on Tuesday that it is “highly, highly unlikely” that either Troy Tulowitzki or Carlos Gonzalez will be traded prior to Opening Day.

Both players have been mentioned frequently as potential trade pieces this offseason, but nothing has come of it thus far. Tulowitzki, in particular, was tied to a number of teams earlier in the offseason, including both New York clubs, but those talks never gained much traction.

The Yankees instead acquired Didi Gregorius from the D-backs and the Mets insisted they are content on entering the season with Wilmer Flores as their starting shortstop. There have been virtually no other rumors involving Tulowitzki over the past month.

Though the Rockies were said to at least be listening to potential offers for the duo, it’s unlikely that they’ve heard the type of substantial offer they’re looking for. Not only are both Tulowitzki and Gonzalez coming off injury-plagued seasons, but Tulowitzki — who’s had a number of injury concerns throughout his career — is owed $114 million over the next six seasons and Gonzalez is due $53 million over the next three years.

Whether it’s because the Rockies truly want to keep both players or they simply couldn’t find a suitable trade partner, it appears for the time being that both Tulowitzki and Gonzalez will begin the season in Colorado.

— Paul Casella

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: