Free agent Kyle Kendrick is the newest member of the Colorado Rockies, according to a report from CBS Sports.
The team has not confirmed the report.
Kendrick, 30, spent the first eight seasons of his career with the Phillies and started 30 or more games in six of the past seven seasons.
The right-hander started 32 games last season and posted a 4.61 ERA while going 10-13.
Throughout his career Kendrick has pitched in seven games at Coors Field and allowed 22 earned runs in 37 2/3 innings.
- William Boor
Multiple teams are still trying to put together a package deal for Phillies ace Cole Hamels, but USA Today’s Bob Nightengale reports that no club has come close to the right package yet.
Nightengale posted in a tweet Tuesday that five or six teams have expressed varying degrees of interest in Hamels, including the Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, Cardinals and Red Sox.
Philadelphia is expected to command a large return on prospects for Hamels, 31, if they are going to move him. He was one of the best pitchers in the Majors last year and is scheduled to receive $23.5 million per year for the next four years — with a $20 million team option for a fifth.
The Phillies have asked for prized catching prospect Blake Swihart, the number 18 prospect on MLB.com’s Top 100 prospect list for 2015, from the Red Sox in exchange for Hamels. Boston has been steadfast in refusing to trade Swihart or outfielder Mookie Betts, which has stalled any potential deal.
Ruben Amaro Jr., the Phillies’ general manager, said recently that nothing was imminent with Hamels and he expects the pitcher to begin the season in Philadelphia.
The Phillies are in the midst of a rebuilding effort, but the club still has a number of veteran players it would like to move, such as closer Jonathan Papelbon.
While rumors surrounding Papelbon have died down recently, Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. tells Jim Salisbury of CSN Philly that trade talks are still ongoing with at least two teams.
“Things are still alive,” Amaro told CSNPhilly.com. “We’re still having discussion — and not just with one club. … It’s complicated. There are a lot of different factors involved.”
The Brewers and Blue Jays are the two clubs that have discussed a potential deal for Papelbon, MLB.com’s Todd Zolecki reported last week.
A number of factors make trading Papelbon difficult. He will earn $13 million this season and has a $13 million club option for 2016 that kicks in if he finishes at least 48 games this year. Papelbon also has limited no-trade rights, though he told reporters in July that would not be an issue in facilitating a trade.
Papelbon, 34, would help clubs looking for a closer. He had a 2.04 ERA and 39 saves in 43 opportunities last year. His 90.7 save-completion percentage ranked sixth out of 29 qualifying closers in baseball, while his 0.90 WHIP ranked 19th out of 185 qualifying relief pitchers.
The Phillies have a number of moves to make going forward, so Papelbon’s situation is worth monitoring.
The deal is slightly above the midpoint of salary figures filed by Moustakas and the Royals. Moustakas filed for $3.1 million and the club countered with $1.85 million. Moustakas can earn an additional $10,000 if he reaches 525 plate appearances, plus a $50,000 bonus if he is an All-Star.
Moustakas, 26, had a strong postseason for the American League-champion Royals after a bit of a down year. During the regular season, he hit .212 with 15 homers and 21 doubles. He was eligible for arbitration for the first time in his career.
The Royals have five remaining arbitration-eligible players: Lorenzo Cain, Danny Duffy, Kelvin Herrera, Greg Holland and Eric Hosmer.
Former Cy Young winner Barry Zito will throw for “a select group of teams” on Tuesday, as he takes the next step in his comeback attempt, according to ESPN’s Jerry Crasnick.
Zito, who turns 37 in May, sat out all of last season, but has now decided to try to extend his career. He last pitched in 2013, racking up an unsightly 5.74 ERA over 30 outings (25 starts) for the Giants. As it stands now, Zito has a 4.02 career ERA over 14 big league seasons, including a 4.62 mark and a 1.439 WHIP over his final seven seasons.
He’s reportedly made mechanical adjustments and is prepared to give it one more shot, but it’s unclear at this point which teams will be attending Tuesday’s workout. Regardless, he would likely have to settle for a Minor League deal, at best.
– Paul Casella
Add the Tigers to the growing list of teams with a level of interest in Cuban teenage talent Yoan Moncada. The team brought in the 19-year-old switch-hitting infielder for a workout last week in Lakeland.
Lynn Henning of the Detroit News first reported Sunday the Tigers had seen Moncada work out privately. MLB.com later confirmed the Tigers had brought him in to work out for team officials at the Tigers’ Spring Training complex. Moncada also worked out for the Rays last week down the road at Tropicana Field.
Moncada had a showcase last month in Guatemala before scouts from most Major League clubs. Moncada established residency in the Central American country and has been heading to the states for workouts since. MLB.com’s Jesse Sanchez reports Moncada has also worked out for the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Giants, Rangers and Brewers, with the Cubs, Phillies and Cardinals also interested.
With that much competition, the Tigers’ interest could simply be due diligence at this point, or it could be the prelude for a push depending on how far the bidding goes. A lot might depend on bigger-market teams’ involvement.
Since Moncada is younger than 23 and didn’t play pro ball in Cuba, he’s subject to international signing guidelines, including the bonus restrictions each team is given. Each team gets a $700,000 base pool plus bonuses based on reverse order of finish the previous season. The Tigers had the sixth-lowest spending pool at $1,946,900, while the Astros had just over $5 million.
Fitting Moncada within what’s left of those pools isn’t likely to happen. The key is having money left to spend, and being allowed to spend it.
The Tigers rarely make big-ticket signings on the international market. They were in the market for Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo last summer and Yoenis Cespedes a few years ago, but they qualified as pro free agents. Moncada’s talent level, however, makes him an exception. The Tigers would be subject to penalties if they signed Moncada, putting a cramp in their efforts to restock a farm system that has been thinned out by trades. The question is whether the impact of Moncada would be worth the lost flexibility in future years.
– Jason Beck
Ten-time Gold Glove winner Andruw Jones is looking to return to Major League Baseball, according to Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe, after spending the past two seasons playing in Japan.
Jones, who will turn 38 in April, is reportedly drawing interest from “at least two teams” that are interested in using the five-time All-Star as either a designated hitter or a right-handed platoon player. He last played in the Majors in 2012 when he struggled to a .197/.294/.408 batting line with the Yankees, though he still racked up 14 homers over 94 games. He would return to the Majors with 434 career home runs over parts of 17 seasons.
Over the last two years in Japan, Jones compiled a .232/.392/.441 line with 50 combined homers.
– Paul Casella
The Giants have agreed to a one-year deal with first baseman Brandon Belt to avoid arbitration for the 2015 season, according to a report from CBSSports.com’s Jon Heyman.
Heyman first reported the news Monday morning, saying the agreement was worth $3.6 million.
Belt saw 61 games of action last year, hitting .243 with 12 home runs and 27 RBIs. Over 419 career games (four seasons) with the Giants, he is a .268 hitter with a .791 OPS.
– Joey Nowak
The Mets have reportedly reached an agreement for a one-year deal with Lucas Duda for the 2015 season, thus avoiding arbitration.
CBSSports.com’s Jon Heyman reported the deal, which he said is worth $4.2 million.
Duda, 28, appeared in a career-high 153 games last season and turned in the most productive offensive year of his career. He hit .253 with 30 home runs and 92 RBIs while posting an .830 OPS.
The Mets have now settled with all their arbitration-eligible players.
– Joey Nowak
We’re one day shy of February, but the revamped Padres might not be entirely done with their offseason overhaul.
New Padres general manager A.J. Preller continues to search for ways to upgrade his team, even after creating a power-hitting outfield via trades for Justin Upton, Wil Myers and Matt Kemp, according to FoxSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal.
Rosenthal tweeted Saturday that Preller has been in touch with the Phillies about left-hander Cole Hamels, and also is interested in young Brewers infielder Luis Sardinas — who was acquired by Milwaukee in the Yovani Gallardo deal — as a potential shortstop solution.
Rosenthal notes that Preller worked with Sardinas in Texas, though there hasn’t been any recent contact between the two teams.
Although the Padres traded away many of their young prospects in acquiring the outfield trio, they were able to hold onto Minor League outfielder Hunter Renfroe and catcher Austin Hedges — ranked No. 48 and No. 51, respectively, in MLB.com’s recent Top 100 Prospects list. Right-hander Matt Wisler (No. 69) probably also would be discussed in potential Hamels talks.
Although Rosenthal notes some are skeptical San Diego has enough to acquire Hamels, it’s clear Preller isn’t shutting the door on landing the lefty ace.
– Cash Kruth