Results tagged ‘ blue jays ’

Royals monitoring Shields’ situation, unlikely to sign him

Royals general manager Dayton Moore said he is “still monitoring” the market for James Shields, but added that the club is unlikely to sign him, according to Andy McCullough of the Kansas City Star.

Though Shields’ price tag is likely to drop a bit in the near future, if it hasn’t already, the right-hander will likely remain out of the Royals’ price range. Along with the financial limitations, the Royals already have six pitchers set to compete for the five rotation spots in Yordano Ventura, Jason Vargas, Jeremy Guthrie, Edinson Volquez, Kris Medlen and Danny Duffy.

The market for Shields is still largely unclear at this point, but the Marlins, Diamondbacks, Padres and Blue Jays are all among the teams that have been linked to him, one way or another, in recent days.

– Paul Casella

Shoulder issues shut down J. Santana’s comeback bid

Johan Santana‘s latest comeback attempt has been halted by discomfort in his left shoulder, according to Nelson Medina Arnías of LVBP.com.

Santana, who will turn 36 in March, had been pitching in the Venezuelan Winter League as he attempts to work his way back to the Majors. He will now miss the league final due to the shoulder issue, though an MRI reportedly showed no structural damage.

The latest injury is a significnat blow for Santana, especially considering that he’s already had multiple shoulder surgeries in the past four years. Those shoulder problems forced him to miss all of both the 2011 and 2013 seasons, while he also missed the 2014 campaign after suffering a torn Achilles’ tendon during extended Spring Training with the Orioles last June.

The southpaw last pitched in the Majors in 2012, going 6-9 with a 4.85 ERA and two complete game shutouts over 21 starts. A two-time Cy Young Award winner, Santana led his respective league in ERA three times from 2004-08 and had a strong 2010 campaign (11-9, 2.98 ERA, 1.176 WHIP) before injuries derailed his career over the past five years.

Prior to the injury news, at least six teams — including the Yankees, Blue Jays and Padres — had been rumored to have interest in signing Santana to what would presumably be an incentive-laden deal. It’s unclear at this point exactly what affect this shoulder soreness will have on Santana’s comeback bid, but the chances of him breaking camp with any Major League club have certainly taken a serious hit.

– Paul Casella

Belisario getting interest from multiple teams

The Red Sox, Nationals, Blue Jays and Rays have shown interest in free-agent reliever Ronald Belisario, according to Jon Morosi of FOX Sports.

Belisario, 32, spent time as a closer for the White Sox in 2014 and recorded eight saves. The right-hander had a 5.56 ERA in 62 appearances. The White Sox designated him for assignment in November.

The Red Sox are looking for a right-handed option to fill out their bullpen, tweets Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports, so Belisario could be a fit in Boston. Meanwhile, the Nationals and Blue Jays have also shown interest in free-agent reliver Burke Badenhop.

–Austin Laymance

Astros sign Colby Rasmus

The Astros have signed free-agent outfielder Colby Rasmus to a one-year contract for the 2015 season, the club announced on Tuesday.

Rasmus’ deal is for $8 million, a source told MLB.com’s Brian McTaggart.

Houston was in need of an established outfielder after trading Dexter Fowler to the Cubs on Monday. Rasmus is close with Astros general manager Jeff Luhnow, who drafted him in 2005 when Luhnow was the scouting director for the Cardinals.

A left-handed hitter, Rasmus was a free agent for the first time in his career. He’s spent the last three-plus seasons in Toronto after beginning his big league career in St. Louis. The 28-year-old had a .225/.287/.448 slash line with 18 home runs and 21 doubles in 104 games last season.

To make room for Rasmus on the 40-man roster, the Astros designated catcher Carlos Corporan for assignment.

–Austin Laymance 

Nationals, Blue Jays interested in Burke Badenhop

There a number of clubs still looking for bullpen help on the free-agent market. The Nationals and Blue Jays are among those teams and have both shown interest in veteran right-hander Burke Badenhop, reports Jon Morosi of FOX Sports.

Badenhop, 31, made 70 appearances with the Red Sox last season and had a 2.29 ERA. He’s pitched for four different clubs in each of the last four years.

The Red Sox were linked to Badenhop earlier in the offseason. Boston remains in the market for right-handed relief, tweets Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports. The Dodgers and Brewers are still looking for bullpen help, too.

–Austin Laymance

D-backs change course, not interested in adding another catcher

Though the Diamondbacks have been tied to rumors involving both the Blue Jays’ Dioner Navarro and the Cubs’ Welington Castillo, among others, the club is no longer looking to acquire another catcher, according to Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic.

D-backs general manager Dave Stewart confirmed that the team is content with its current catching situation, thanks primarily to the development of prospect Peter O’Brien, who was acquired from the Yankees in the Martin Prado deal this past summer. The 24-year-old O’Brien, who checks in as the D-backs’ No. 8-ranked prospect according to MLB.com, posted a .271/.316/.594 batting line with 34 home runs over just 106 games between Class A and Double-A this past season.

“I’ve decided that I’m not going to pursue another catcher,” Stewart said, according to the report. “I talked with my people and my coaching staff. They believe that O’Brien is going to be around sooner than later. If that does happen, there’s no need to go out and get another guy.”

With O’Brien not quite ready for the Majors, however, Arizona is set to enter the season with the catching duo of Tuffy Gosewisch and Oscar Hernandez, who was taken in last month’s Rule 5 Draft. Gosewich racked up a .225/.242/.310 batting line over 132 plate appearances in 41 games last season, while serving as Miguel Montero’s backup. Montero, of course, was traded to the Cubs last month.

Though the D-backs had been linked to a number of rumors involving catchers in the aftermath of trading away Montero, the team has instead decided to stand pat at the position for the time being. As for Navarro and Castillo, both players remain possible trade chips with each of their respective clubs having upgraded behind the plate earlier this offseason.

– Paul Casella

D-backs reached out to Jays about D. Navarro

The Diamondbacks have reportedly inquired about Blue Jays catcher Dioner Navarro, according to CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman, though he adds that talks are yet to advance past the initial stage.

Navarro has been a popular name in trade rumors ever since the Jays signed catcher Russell Martin to a five-year, $82 million deal earlier this offseason. The Blue Jays are reportedly willing to listen to offers for the 30-year-old Navarro, who posted a .274/.317/.395 batting line with 12 home runs and 69 RBI over 139 games last season. He’s set to earn $5 million in 2015 before becoming a free agent after the season.

As for the D-backs, the only catchers currently on their 40-man roster are Tuffy Gosewisch and Oscar Hernandez. Arizona, of course, traded former starting catcher Miguel Montero to the Cubs last month.

– Paul Casella

Blue Jays interested in Ichiro?

The Blue Jays are reportedly showing some interest in free-agent outfielder Ichiro Suzuki, according to Bob Nightengale of USA Today.

Suzuki, 41, has also been linked to the Marlins, who are looking for a fourth outfielder. The Orioles are looking for outfield help as well, and they have been said to have interest in Suzuki.

The Blue Jays have a glaring need in the outfield with Melky Cabrera gone to the White Sox via free agency and Colby Rasmus likely to sign with another club. Toronto has four outfielders on its 40-man roster in Jose Bautista, Kevin Pillar, Dalton Pompey and Michael Saunders.

Suzuki is 156 hits shy of 3,000 in his Major League career. The 10-time All-Star and former American League MVP Award winner might have to take a pay cut this year, though, after earning $6.5 million in each of the past two seasons with the Yankees.

– Austin Laymance

Mets add outfielder in Mayberry Jr.

The Mets have reportedly signed outfielder John Mayberry Jr. to a Major League contract, according to Jon Heyman of CBSSPorts.com.

Mayberry was non-tendered by the Blue Jays earlier this month, making him a free agent. The Phillies traded him to Toronto at the non-waiver Trade Deadline in August. In 78 games between the Phils and Jays, Mayberry hit .212 with seven home runs and 10 doubles.

A first-round pick in the 2005 First-Year Player Draft, Mayberry has a lifetime .208 average over six Major League seasons. He can play all three outfield positions, as well as first base.

–Austin Laymance

Drew garnering broad interest

Free agent shortstop Stephen Drew is drawing varying amounts of interest from at least 10 teams, according to CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman.

The list of teams that have tossed around the idea of signing Drew reportedly includes the Yankees, Mets, Astros, A’s, Braves, Padres, Dodgers, Blue Jays, Nationals and Marlins. The lack of shortstop depth on the free agent market this offseason has certainly played a part in the vast amount of interested teams.

Despite his struggles this past season, Drew is garnering significantly more interest this offseason than he did a year ago due to the fact that he is not tied to a compensatory draft pick this time around. He went unsigned last winter after rejecting a qualifying offer from the Red Sox before ultimately returning to Boston in late May.

– Paul Casella

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 797 other followers