Results tagged ‘ brian cashman ’

If Phil is right, do the Yankees need Ubaldo?

That’s the question Yankees general manager Brian Cashman is likely pondering as the non-waiver Trade Deadline nears.

Anybody would want Ubaldo Jimenez — but at what cost?

With regards to the Yankees, the names that have surfaced as potential pieces to a deal are the likes of Manny Banuelos, Dellin Betances, Ivan Novaand Jesus Montero (though SI.com is reporting Monday that Montero wouldn’t be the centerpiece of the potential trade, since the Rockies don’t view him as a catcher).

Since Jimenez is under club control for a while, is pretty affordable and isn’t really having a great year, the Rockies don’t feel much pressure to move him at this point. So it isn’t surprising that they’re asking so much for his services.

An added wrinkle is what took place on Sunday afternoon at Rogers Centre, when Phil Hughes registered his best start of the year — the type that made you feel he was getting awfully close to being the 18-game winner of 2010.

Now, the question is: If Hughes really is back, should the Yankees — with CC Sabathia, A.J. Burnett and Hughes at the top of their rotation, and Bartolo Colon, Freddy Garcia and Nova filling out the back end — give the Rockies what they want for Ubaldo?

Bombers Beat has more on that dilemma …

Alden

Roundup: Yankees add Soriano; Pavano still a Twin

It was a throwback in the Bronx on Wednesday, when Rafael Soriano, hefty contract in hand, was introduced as the newest Yankee. The addition was one that Brian Cashman said wasn’t his recommendation, but rather ownership’s; a vestige of the days when the late George Steinbrenner owned the club and famously reserved personnel decisions for himself.
“This certainly will help us try to win a championship, there’s no doubt about that, so that’s in the plus column,” Cashman said of Soriano, who received a three-year, $35 million deal to setup for closer Mariano Rivera. “But I didn’t recommend it, just because I didn’t think it was an efficient way to allocate the remaining resources we have. We had a lot of debate about that.”
Yankees managing general partner Hal Steinbrenner and team president Randy Levine instead worked out the deal with Soriano, which includes out clauses after both of the next two seasons.
 
Cashman also revealed some unexpected news on Wednesday regarding a former pinstripes right-hander, Carl Pavano: there was thought he’d be brought back. Pavano signed a four-year, $39 million contract to pitch in New York before the 2005 season, but because of several injuries, including Tommy John surgery on his right elbow in 2007, Pavano was limited to 26 starts and 145.2 innings for New York.
“I’ve always felt Pav could pitch here,” Cashman said. “I think he’s shown that he can pitch in difficult circumstances. Bottom line, if he’s healthy, he can pitch.”

Later on Wednesday, Pavano finalized a two-year, $16.5 million contract with the Twins, whom he helped lead to the AL Central championship last season.

He went 17-11 with a 3.75 ERA and led the team in wins, along with innings pitched (221). Since being acquired by the Twins in August 2009, Pavano is 22-15 with a 3.97 ERA in 44 starts.

 
Though Pavano decided to re-join the Twins, the Yankees may still have another addition coming: veteran outfielder Andruw Jones. His agent Scott Boras said Wednesday that the Yankees are among several teams that he is speaking with about Jones.
 
The Giants announced the signing of right-hander Santiago Casilla to a one-year contract, avoiding arbitration. Casilla will earn $1.3 million, up from $400,000 last year, when he finished 7-2 with a 1.95 ERA and 56 strikeouts in 55 1/3 innings. He also stranded 41 of 47 inherited baserunners, the Majors’ second-best ratio.

In other news Wednesday:

  • Entering the last season of a four-year deal, Mets’ shortstop Jose Reyes said he wants to talk an extension as soon as possible. “I don’t want to talk about my contract during the season,” Reyes said Wednesday at a Citi Field Kids charity event. “I want to focus on doing my thing, trying to help this team win a lot of ballgames.”
  • With Jim Thome in Minnesota, the Rangers are still looking for a hitter, Rangers president Nolan Ryan told MLB.com’s T.R. Sullivan. “It’s always nice to have a veteran bat off the bench. It gives you an opportunity late in the game if you don’t like the matchups. I’m not sure that person is out there.” Ryan also said an extension for general manager Jon Daniels is a priority.
  • Left-handed reliever Brian Fuentes‘ deal with the A’s is official. According to The Associated Press, the deal is worth a guaranteed $10.5 million over two years, with a $6.5 million club option for 2013. The Nationals’ acquisition of Tom Gorzelanny from the Cubs also became official.
  • The Rockies and Joe Crede agreed on a Minor League deal. Crede sat out the 2010 season with a multitude of injuries. He turns 33 in April.
  • Crede’s one-time team, the White Sox, announced the invitation of 14 to big league camp, including right-hander Brian Bruney and Jordan Danks. The latter is the 24-year-old younger brother of White Sox starter John Danks. Jordan hit .245 with 27 doubles, eight homers and 42 RBIs in his first season at Triple-A in 2010.
  • The mother of Cubs outfielder Alfonso Soriano has passed away in the Dominican Republic.

Roundup: Trade winds blow Garza to Windy City

Now the starting-pitching market is really dry.

Teams still looking for quality, front-line starters (i.e., the Yankees) now have to get much more creative, because Matt Garza — seemingly the last big-name arm for the taking, if you buy into recent reports — appears headed to Chicago. The Rays dealt Garza, who was in his second year of arbitration and would receive a raise from his $3.35 million salary, to the Cubs in exchange for five Minor Leaguers on Friday.

Club officials haven’t confirmed the deal, but sources told MLB.com’s Carrie Muskat that the framework is in place for the Cubs to send 2010 Minor League Pitcher of the Year Chris Archer, 2010 Player of the Year Brandon Guyer (an outfielder), shortstop Hak-Ju Lee, catcher Robinson Chirinos and outfielder Sam Fuld.

The Cubs would also get two Minor Leaguers from the Rays, and according to the Daily Herald, one of those is outfielder Fernando Perez, who played in 107 Minor League games this past season.

The Rays had a surplus of starting pitchers — with David Price, Jeremy Hellickson, Wade Davis, Jeff Niemann and James Shields also in the fold — and could afford to deal one, though trading a guy like Garza always hurts. With Garza, the Cubs appear to be premier contenders in a stacked National League Central. He’ll be added to a rotation that includes Ryan Dempster, Carlos Zambrano, Randy Wells, Tom Gorzelanny and Carlos Silva.

Here’s more from around the league …

* When Adrian Beltre signed with the Rangers, closer Rafael Soriano instantly became the best free agent left in the open market. The question is: Where does he fit? FOXSports.com speculated that the Angels are the ideal fit, but added that the Rangers and White Sox — unless the price goes way down — are not going after the American League leader in saves. Other than that, not much seems to have materialized yet. 

* The Yankees, meanwhile, have been rumored to be interested in Soriano as a setup man, but ESPN.com’s Buster Olney reported via his Twitter account that as of Thursday night, the Yanks weren’t interested. The fact general manager Brian Cashman told the Journal News he isn’t willing to surrender any first-round Draft picks makes the signing of Soriano (a Type A free agent) seem even more unlikely. 

* Speaking of the Yankees, Andy Pettitte told The New York Post from his home that he’s still not sure whether he’ll retire or come back. “I’m just chilling out, hanging,” he told the newspaper. “I’m relaxing. If I had something, y’all would know. If I knew exactly what I was doing, y’all would know.” Pettitte continues to stress that the Yankees should move on and not worry about him, and the organization has said just that. But it sure does seem like they need him.

* All-time saves leader Trevor Hoffman is “leaning towards retiring,” Jon Heyman of SI.com and MLB Network reported via Twitter. The 43-year-old right-hander had a 5.89 ERA and 10 saves with the Brewers in 2010, giving him 601 saves for his probable Hall of Fame career.

* In other news, former Royals starter Brian Bannister will pitch in Japan this season; the Rangers designated right-hander Guillermo Moscoso for assignment; and longtime Twins executive Jerry Bell retired

– Alden Gonzalez

Joba is not a starting pitching option for Yankees

NEW YORK — There you have it. You can put that to rest now. Joba Chamberlain will not be returning as a starting pitcher for the Yankees, even though the club has serious questions after the first two spots in its rotation.

“No, Joba’s in the ‘pen,” general manager Brian Cashman assured Thursday.

That day, the Yankees announced the signing of Russell Martin as their new starting catcher, which gives them the flexibility to perhaps use highly rated prospect Jesus Montero as a trade chip to acquire pitching help — something the Yankees’ skipper believes his club needs.

“We need to add another guy to our rotation,” manager Joe Girardi said, “there’s no doubt about it.”

Meanwhile, the Yankees have been linked to a few relievers recently. ESPNNewYork.com reported that they’re making “a little progress” with lefty Pedro Feliciano, and Rafael Soriano’s name has come up a lot (though it seems like a long shot because of his asking price). Jon Heyman of SI.com and MLB Network wrote that the Yankees’ search for lefty relief could also turn them to Brian Fuentes and Arthur Rhodes.

– Alden Gonzalez   

Russell Martin close to a deal with the Yankees?

NEW YORK — While the Yankees await on the decision of one Cliff Lee, they have “continued to be aggressive” on free-agent catcher Russell Martin, ESPN’s Buster Olney reported on his Twitter account Monday, adding that it “would not be a surprise if we heard at any time of an agreement” between the two sides. 

Martin’s agent, Matt Colleran, didn’t immediately return a phone call from MLB.com seeking comment.

Non-tendered by the Dodgers, Martin has reportedly garnered the most serious interest from three American League East clubs — the Yankees, Red Sox and Blue Jays. Of the three, the Red Sox appear to be the least interested.

With the aging Jorge Posada serving mostly as a designated hitter next year, New York is expected to go into the season with Jesus Montero, Austin Romine and Francisco Cervelli competing for playing time behind the plate. But general manager Brian Cashman has said he’s open to acquiring outside help. As of now, Montero is deemed by many as the favorite.

Martin, 27, was a back-to-back All-Star and among the National League’s best catchers from 2007-08. But after a down year in 2009, he was limited to 97 games in 2010 because of a broken hip.

– Alden Gonzalez  

Yankees could be in the market for a catcher

NEW YORK — You can never really rule out any free agent with the Yankees, so even though Jorge Posada is coming back mostly as a designated hitter next year to pave the way for a youngster like Jesus Montero, New York could still pursue a safety net in the open market.

General manager Brian Cashman volunteered that on Thursday, saying he “wouldn’t even close the door on looking out in the marketplace to see if I can secure somebody else out there as a cushion.”

Posada, 39 and coming off knee surgery, will spend most of, if not all of his time at DH in 2011, so it’ll come down to prospects Montero and Austin Romine, as well as backup Francisco Cervelli. Free-agent catching options include A.J. Pierzynski, Rod Barajas, John Buck, Gerald Laird, Matt Treanor and a host of others (you can probably rule the top prize, Victor Martinez, out of the equation, though). 

“We’re certainly not handing a job to anybody,” Cashman said. “We have some serious young, good catching coming. They have to earn it, though. They have to earn it for the next level. No one’s going to be handing anything to anybody.”

Alden Gonzalez

Jeter, Yankees have weekend meeting in Tampa

NEW YORK — Prior to flying to Arkansas for a meet-and-greet with the highly coveted Cliff Lee, the Yankees’ brass was in Tampa, Fla., over the weekend, meeting with Derek Jeter and his agent, Casey Close, about his future in pinstripes, multiple local media outlets reported.

Present at the meeting were owner Hal Steinbrenner, president Randy Levine and general manager Brian Cashman, but no contractual figures were exchanged, according to reports.

Jeter, 36, is coming off the final year of a 10-year, $189 million contract. Though there is little doubt the Yankees’ captain will return to the Bronx to finish out a potential Hall of Fame career, some expect the signing process to take a while because of the potential value and tenure of his new contract.

Talking points at the meeting revolved around the possibility of Jeter eventually switching positions — though he has said he’d like to remain at shortstop for the remainder of his career — and the leadoff man’s spot in the lineup down the road, reports indicated.

Jeter, who made $21 million in 2010, is said to be seeking a four-year deal, while previous reports have stated the Yankees wouldn’t be willing to commit more than three years.

– Alden Gonzalez

Roundup: Yankees, Phillies going after Lee?

That’s what FoxSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal and ESPN.com’s Buster Olney are entertaining. Rosenthal heard through Major League sources that the Phillies want a top-of-the-rotation starter and that general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. has no qualms about trading for a pitcher he jettisoned in the offseason. Enter Cliff Lee, the best starting pitcher who will likely be available prior to the non-waiver Trade Deadline, and one who’s a free agent after this season. Meanwhile, Olney believes the Yankees and Mariners will at least talk about Lee before the Deadline. 

Still, FoxSports.com calls a reunion between Lee and the Phills “a longshot” and “perhaps unrealistic.” Philadelphia already gave up a bevy of prospects to acquire Roy Halladay this past offseason, and their focus right now is on acquiring infield help, since second baseman Chase Utley and third baseman Placido Polanco are on the disabled list. As for the Yankees, Olney states that the club has a recent history of reluctance to lose top prospects in gaining starting pitching, and he noted that the Yanks and M’s don’t have a very good trade history. 
The Rangers have been looked on as a team that has a strong chance at landing Lee. The Mets and Dodgers are also in need of starting-pitching help and could look in Lee’s direction. 
Here’s more from around the league … 
* Lee and the Yankees may be in the back burner, but the Yankees’ priority right now is improving their bench, general manager Brian Cashman told The Newark Star Ledger. Ty Wigginton, according to the Star Ledger, is someone in particular the Yankees have shown interest in. 
* Given a choice, Mets manager Jerry Manuel would prefer the club acquired a starting pitcher, though another option in the back end of the bullpen would be a nice consolation prize. 
* The Nationals signed Orlando “El Duque” Hernandez to a Minor League contract on Friday. Orlando, half-brother of Nats starter Livan Hernandez, is 44 years old and hasn’t pitched in the big leagues since 2007. He’ll start a throwing program in Viera, Fla., then work his way up to the Minors and hopefully join the Nats as a reliever. 
* Jermaine Dye, who hasn’t played this season but hasn’t retired, has been getting interest from the Rockies, Rangers and Padres, according to FoxSports.com. 
Alden Gonzalez
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 646 other followers