Results tagged ‘ Bronson Arroyo ’
The free-agent market has definitely thinned, now that less than one month remains before the start of Spring Training. But as of Friday, several big names remained in the veteran corner outfielder/designated hitter category.
That may change soon.
The Rays, an industry source told MLB.com’s Jesse Sanchez, are nearing a one-year deal with Johnny Damon and are also in the mix for his former Red Sox teammate, Manny Ramirez.
But Tampa Bay may have some competition for Ramirez’s services, since sources told MLB.com’s T.R. Sullivan that the Rangers and Angels are also interested. Sullivan notes that it’s the Rangers and Rays that are the front-runners at this point, with the Angels seemingly lagging behind.
Enrique Rojas of ESPNDeportes.com heard from sources that Vladimir Guerrero, like Ramirez and Damon, could also be close to signing, saying the Orioles and Angels have interest. The Rangers, Sullivan added, also haven’t closed the door on bringing back Guerrero.
The problem is the soon-to-be-36-year-old — coming off a season in which he batted .300
with 29 homers and 115 RBIs as Texas’ full-time DH — may still be
trying to land an everyday job.
Here’s more from around the league…
* The Red Sox were trying to reel in free-agent closer Rafael Soriano
on a lucrative one-year contract, according to Jon Heyman of SI.com and
MLB Network. If they would have succeeded in that, they could’ve dealt
current closer Jonathan Papelbon to the Athletics or White Sox. Boston also made Yankees closer Mariano Rivera an offer this offseason, so there’s seemingly concern in Beantown about Papelbon.
* When Prince Fielder hits free agency at the end of the 2011
season, the slugging first baseman expects to yield a contract of at least eight
years and for about $200 million, Heyman added.
* The Reds have been all about locking up their own players this
offseason, and they still may not be done. Regarding unsigned starter
Edinson Volquez, Reds general manager Walt Jocketty told the Cincinnati
Enquirer, “We’re looking at both — one-year and multi-year” deals.
Volquez, arbitration-eligible for the first time, made $445,000 in 2010. Bronson
Arroyo, Jay Bruce, Johnny Cueto and Joey Votto have all inked
multi-year deals with the Reds this offseason.
* The Cardinals signed veteran infielder Nick Punto
to a one-year contract. The 33-year-old switch-hitter will serve as a
utility infielder and an insurance policy at third base for David Freese.
* The Mariners reduced the signing bonus of Dominican shortstop Esteilon Peguero, from $2.9 million to $1.1 million, according to Baseball America.
– Alden Gonzalez
The Reds haven’t brought in much outside help this offseason, but they’ve still been among the busiest teams in baseball. Their mission is keeping guys in-house. The club had already inked starter Bronson Arroyo to a three-year, $35 million extension. Then, late Thursday night, the club agreed on a six-year, $51 million contract with Jay Bruce, a source told MLB.com’s Mark Sheldon.
Now, they’re apparently turning their attention to Joey Votto and Johnny Cueto.
The Reds have been wanting to sign Votto, the reigning National League MVP, to some sort of extension, but ESPN.com’s Jerry Crasnick believes it won’t be for the six years that Bruce got. According to the Cincinnati Enquirer, the Reds have also had preliminary discussions with Cueto about a long-term deal.
Here’s more from around the league on Friday …
* All was quiet on the Cliff Lee front as of Friday afternoon. The Rangers on Thursday presented Lee with a wide array of complex offers, and now, they wait. The Yankees had recently upped their proposal to seven years, but good friend CC Sabathia will give Lee his space, too. Is the ballyhooed left-hander agonizing over his decision right now? C.J. Wilson doesn’t think so. He thinks Lee is deer hunting.
* Young, non-tendered catcher Russell Martin could be close to making his decision. The Yankees, Red Sox and Blue Jays have been reported to have serious interest, with New York taking “an aggressive approach,” ESPN.com’s Buster Olney wrote via Twitter. He is said to be deciding between those three American League East teams.
* The Orioles made potential closer Kevin Gregg a two-year offer worth $8 to $10 million, according to the Baltimore Sun. Gregg seems to be negotiating with several teams right now. The question is whether the O’s would give him a chance to be their ninth-inning man.
* A few signings made today: The Royals got Melky Cabrera to be their center fielder; the Orioles resigned veteran infielder Cesar Izturis; the Brewers picked up catcher Wil Nieves; and the Braves officially signed lefty reliever George Sherrill.
* According to Olney, Jorge Cantu is one of the first basemen “seriously being considered” by the Diamondbacks. Cantu was a solid run-producer in the middle of the Marlins’ lineup the last two-plus years, but struggled while playing sparingly with the Rangers towards the end of the 2010 season.
– Alden Gonzalez
- MLB announced on Monday that the A’s officially won the bidding on Japanese right-hander Hisashi Iwakuma. The Athletics have 30 days to come to a deal with the 29-year-old pitcher and if everything ends up working out, Oakland could have landed themselves a strong addition to their young staff.
- All-time saves leader Trevor Hoffman would like to pitch in 2011 if he can find a closer spot, according to a Tweet from SI.com’s Jon Heyman. Hoffman reached 600 saves last season while with the Brewers, but only closed sporadically down the stretch. Finding a team willing to take a chance that Hoffman still has something in the tank could be tough as there are a number of potential closers fighting for jobs next season, including J.J. Putz, Brian Fuentes, Kerry Wood, Kevin Gregg, Jon Rauch, and Koji Uehara.
- Veteran southpaw Jarrod Washburn didn’t pitch last season but isn’t completely ready to announce his retirement. Washburn told Fox Sports.com’s Jon Paul Morosi recently that he’s undecided on 2011, mentioning that he’s been approached by some interested teams.
- Fox Sports’ Ken Rosenthal believes the Reds will sign Bronson Arroyo to a two-year extension later this week. Arroyo’s option for the coming season was picked up, so the new deal could extend through 2013. Rosenthal speculated that Arroyo’s deal could be the first of several longer-term deals this winter in Cincy, leaving the door open for possible extensions for first baseman Joey Votto, right fielder Jay Bruce and right-hander Edinson Volquez.
- Rosenthal also suggested on Monday that the Cubs could be a potential landing spot for Adam Dunn, who doesn’t reportedly want to serve as just a DH in the American League. The Cubs have a bundle set to come off the books after 2011 and Rosenthal suggests a back-loaded deal could create a fit between Dunn and Chicago.
Foxsports.com’s Ken Rosenthal reports that Bronson Arroyo’s extension could get completed this week and be for two years. Including the option that was picked up on Thursday, the three-year total of the deal could be worth $36-$39 million. Rosenthal did not indicate whether he had a source that provided this information.
As had already been reported on MLB.com, this extension has been in the works since early October, as GM Walt Jocketty indicated during the playoffs. The amount sounds in line with what Arroyo has been earning the past couple of seasons.
Talking to Arroyo’s agent, Terry Bross, Monday morning, there was no tipping of the hand that the deal would be done soon. In fact, he said very, very little but here is the quote anyway.
“There have been discussions but I wouldn’t say I’m optimistic or pessimistic,” Bross said. “It’d be premature to comment that anything is imminent or not imminent.”
– Mark Sheldon
The Reds exercised the $11 million club option for 2011 on RHP Bronson Arroyo and the $1.75 million option on OF Jonny Gomes Wednesday. Not picked up were the $4 million option on SS Orlando Cabrera ($1M buyout) and the $12.75 million option on RHP Aaron Harang ($2M buyout). Both Cabrera and Harang become free agents.
None of these moves come as a shocker. Arroyo has been one of the Reds’ most consistent pitchers since he joined the club in 2006. He won a career high 17 games this season and has 200 innings pitched in six-straight seasons.
Gomes drove in a career-best 86 RBIs while batting .266 with 18 homers.
I have a call into the voice mail of GM Walt Jocketty. I expect he will still pursue Cabrera at a lower price, which he indicated he’d do when asked last month. There’s no word yet on progress towards a contract extension on Arroyo.
– Mark Sheldon
Another new rule change for this off-season is that player or club options must be resolved within three days of the World Series ending. That means Thursday.
For the Reds, that affects these four players:
SS Orlando Cabrera ($4 million mutal option, $1 million buyout if club declines, $500K if he declines)
OF Jonny Gomes ($1.75 million club option)
RHP Aaron Harang ($12.75 million club option, $2 million buyout)
RHP Bronson Arroyo ($11 million, but could be $13 million based on No. of innings pitched — I don’t have that number handy)
There could be an announcement as early as Wednesday.
“I think we’ve got a pretty good idea but I want to go through it one more time,” general manager Walt Jocketty said from Arizona on Tuesday. He was planning to watch some Fall League games this week.
Jocketty said during the playoffs the Reds already planned on picking up Arroyo’s option, and might even try to extend his deal. The club was leaning towards retaining Gomes. As for Cabrera, Jocketty previously revealed he wasn’t inclined to bring him back for $4 million but had interest at a cheaper price.
– Mark Sheldon