Results tagged ‘ Corey Hart ’
With the All-Star break just around the corner, the trade rumors are really beginning to pick up. While Mariners’ ace Cliff Lee is definitely the talk of the MLB town, there are other names gaining traction as potential trade bait as we turn into the final weekend of the first half.
Here’s a look at talks around the league on Thursday:
– MLB analyst Peter Gammons reported on Twitter a rumor of potential Brewers-Braves trade that would send All-Star outfielder Corey Hart to Atlanta in exchange for 2009 1st-round Draft pick pitcher Mike Minor. Minor, who has put up big K numbers so far, is currently at Triple-A Gwinnett after a fast ascent through the system.
– The Mets have been named in a variety of trade possibilities, including the Cliff Lee sweepstakes. But most recently, Ken Davidoff of Newsday suggested on Twitter that the Cubs and Mets could both be interested in a potential deal for pitcher Ted Lilly.
– The Phillies currently sit 5 games behind the Braves in the NL East and there’s been no word on whether they’ll be buyers or sellers come the Trade Deadline. But, there has been chatter about moving Jayson Werth, talks which ESPN’s Buster Olney confirmed on Twitter are still gaining steam. In return, they are reportedly looking for a good starting pitcher who could fill one of the spots after Roy Halladay.
It’s hard to say who will come out on top of the Lee sweepstakes as Fox Sports reported on Wednesday that it would take a “mammoth” offering to pry Lee away from the Mariners. Other reports have suggested the Mariners want as much as two blue-chip prospects and one other talented young player in exchange for Lee.
The Rays’ chances increased on Tuesday when principal owner Stu Sternberg met with the media on Tuesday night and basically gave his blessing to midseason additions to the club. Does that mean the club has the assets made available to them to go out and acquire Cliff Lee? Only time will tell, but his words indicated the Rays would spare no expense to see results in the standings.
“By any means necessary,” Sternberg told reporters. “We’ll do whatever. Money won’t be an object. Players are always an object for us and the money will be an impediment, but we’ll figure it out if it makes all the sense in the world for this team.”
Sternberg’s announcement came the same day as MLB analyst Peter Gammons tweeted about a possible BJ Upton for Lee deal, increasing the rumor mill.
Here’s a look at some of the other developments around the league:
– Henry Schulman of the SF Chronicle suggests the Giants are interested in bringing Brewers outfielder Corey Hart to San Francisco, but Milwaukee might not be willing to let him go.
– Reports out of Philadelphia say that the Phillies had a scout watching Oakland hurler Ben Sheets’ latest start. Sheets and his big salary could be moved by the Trade Deadline if the Athletics move farther out of contention, and the Phillies appear somewhat interested.
– After being designated for assignment by the D-backs recently, hurler Dontrelle Willis needs a break from baseball. The level of interest in Willis’ services is unknown, but he needs some time away from the game after the trials of this season, his agent told USA Today.
– The Pirates picked up an extra arm on Wednesday, trading for right-hander Sean Gallagher in exchange for cash. Gallagher is still only 24 and could provide some helpful innings for the beleaguered Pirates pen.