Results tagged ‘ Derek Jeter ’
The Yankees have reportedly re-signed shortstop Brendan Ryan, guaranteeing some insurance behind Derek Jeter.
Jeter’s 2013 season was plagued by injury, so CBSSports.com‘s Jon Heyman has reported that New York re-signed Ryan — known more for his glove than his bat — to serve as a back-up.
Heyman is also reporting that the Yankees are still pursuing free agent shortstop Stephen Drew.
– Joey Nowak
Although the General Managers Meetings in Orlando, Fla., finished on Wednesday, the baseball world remained plenty busy on Thursday.
The Tigers’ Miguel Cabrera’ and the Pirates’ Andrew McCutchen were named the American and National League Most Valuable Players, respectively. The owners gave unanimous approval for funding an expanded instant replay system at their quarterly meeting, another key step on the way toward implementing it for the 2014 season. And Rob Manfred, Major League Baseball’s chief operating officer, revealed that MLB and Japan’s Nippon Professional Baseball have hit a snag in their negotiations over the posting-fee system, casting doubt on whether highly touted right-hander Masahiro Tanaka will become available to MLB teams this offseason.
Even with the meetings over, rumors continued to circulate, with Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports reporting that free-agent right-hander Ricky Nolasco already has received multiple four-year offers, in the neighborhood of $52-60 million. In other news from around the league:
- With rumors flying about whether the Rays will trade ace left-hander David Price, our Bill Chastain examines the pros and cons of such a deal, which would be nothing new for the Rays. The club previously has gotten strong returns for pitchers Matt Garza and James Shields.
- Jake Peavy’s championship-winning stay in Boston could be short-lived, with our Phil Rogers writing that the Red Sox could look to deal the veteran right-hander. He speculates that the Angels could be one of several clubs to have interest in Peavy.
- Speaking of players leaving Boston, ESPN Boston’s Gordon Edes reports that shortstop Stephen Drew will not return to the Red Sox, who aren’t likely to match other teams’ multiyear offers.
- Blue Jays general manager Alex Anthopoulos might have his work cut out for him as he tries to improve his club while staying within Toronto’s budget this offseason.
- The Orioles might be considering trading catcher Matt Wieters and closer Jim Johnson, according to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports and MLB Network.
- Derek Jeter said he feels healthy and is “100 percent” sure he will be the Yankees’ everyday shortstop this season.
- Our Rhett Bollinger addresses some Twins issues, including Joe Mauer’s move to first base and the club’s interest in A.J. Pierzynski.
- The Royals believe they need to add only one starting pitcher this offseason, writes Bob Dutton of The Kansas City Star. That could mean re-signing Ervin Santana or replacing him.
- The Rangers agreed to a one-year contract with versatile infielder Adam Rosales, who was eligible for arbitration.
- Free-agent outfielder and Houston native Chris Young tells our Brian McTaggart that he would like to play for the Astros.
- The Marlins are looking to build around their young core, including Giancarlo Stanton and Jose Fernandez, rather than continuing to deal away pieces. On the other hand, Rosenthal tweeted that Miami is listening to offers for first baseman Logan Morrison.
- Veteran right-hander Alfredo Aceves “appears to be a good possibility” to sign with the Mets, reports ESPN’s Buster Olney.
- Free-agent catcher Carlos Ruiz has been drawing plenty of interest this offseason, but our Todd Zolecki says he still could be a fit in Philadelphia.
- The Brewers have a hole to fill at first base, and while they could look to sign a free agent like James Loney or Justin Morneau or trade for someone like the Mets’ Ike Davis, another appealing option is to bring back Corey Hart. The veteran missed all of last season while recovering from knee surgery and is a free agent.
- Speedy Reds prospect Billy Hamilton is playing winter ball in Puerto Rico and could get a chance to be the club’s center fielder if free agent Shin-Soo Choo signs elsewhere.
- Dodgers club president Stan Kasten isn’t ruling out anything but said he doesn’t expect to make any splashy moves this offseason that would add significantly to the team’s already large payroll.
- As the Rockies seek a replacement for retired first baseman Todd Helton, sources have told The Denver Post’s Troy Renck that they are interested in free agents Mike Napoli and James Loney.
– Andrew Simon
The focus of the hot stove season shifted away
from Derek Jeter on Saturday, but not necessarily away from the Yankees.
Jeter and the Yankees finally came to terms — a move almost
universally expected — to the tune of a guaranteed three-year deal, worth $15
to $17 million per. The deal isn’t official until Jeter takes a physical, but the
hard part, the sometimes contentious negotiations, should be a thing of the
Left atop the free agent market are Cliff Lee and Carl
Crawford, and the former’s destination could be what determines the latter’s.
MLB.com’s Lyle Spencer wrote that the Angels are
actually pulling for the Yanks to land Lee: If Texas, the other perceived
contender in the Lee sweepstakes, is able to re-sign Lee, that means the Angels
could be up against not only the Red Sox, but the Yankees in a bidding war for
Crawford. If the Yankees sign Lee, however, New York likely would be
hard-pressed to get seriously involved with Crawford as well.
Boston on Saturday grabbed headlines too when it took a
giant step toward a revamped lineup.
Adrian Gonzalez, the Padres’ first baseman who is a free
agent after the 2011 season, was flown into Boston on Saturday and passed a
physical. The Padres and Red Sox have a trade in place that would bring
Gonzalez to the Sox, but that’s contingent on Gonzalez agreeing to a contract
extension. The reported deadline for the two sides to reach an agreement is 2
The Cardinals made noise late in the day by announcing the
signing of Lance Berkman. The one-year, $8 million deal brings the 34-year-old
back to the National League Central, where he thrived for so long with Houston.
Another NL Central club, the Reds, might have reason to be
concerned that their slugger — and the league’s MVP — might not want to be
around for long. Joey Votto, who’s arbitration eligible, said on Saturday that
he’s just not sure where he’ll be a few years down the road.
“When [Colorado’s Troy Tulowitzki] signed that 10-year
contract, I was blown away,” Votto told MLB.com’s Mark Sheldon. “I
can’t imagine seeing myself 10 years from now saying I want to be here. It’s an
overwhelming thing to ask a young person like myself and say, ‘Here’s a lot of
money. Be happy with this over 10 years, deal with it.'”
The Dodgers have had a busy start to the offseason, locking
up Ted Lilly, Jon Garland and Hiroki Kuroda. They added Rod Barajas to the mix
on Saturday, signing the catcher to a one-year, $3.25 million deal.
– Evan Drellich
With one week remaining until the start of the usually-hectic Winter Meetings in Lake Buena Vista, Fla., the busy Dodgers made another move, agreeing to terms with Juan Uribe on a three-year deal reportedly worth about $21 million.
With Uribe, the Dodgers swipe a big piece of the Giants’ World Series championship run away from their division rivals and add a much-needed right-handed power bat to the middle of the lineup. Uribe played 103 games at shortstop, 26 at third base and 24 at second while batting .248 with 24 homers and 85 RBIs in 2010 (not including a postseason run that saw him drive in nine runs in 14 games).
In Los Angeles, he figures to start at second base, which will likely lead to the non-tendering of Trade Deadline acquisition Ryan Theriot. Despite dealing with instability up top, the Dodgers had already locked up their rotation by re-signing Ted Lilly and acquiring Jon Garland.
Here’s more from around the league …
* The Rangers signed catcher Yorvit Torrealba to a two-year
contract. Torrealba, a 10-year veteran who played in 95 games for the
Padres in 2010 — batting .271 with seven homers and 37 RBIs while
starting 89 games — fills a void left by Bengie Molina (likely retired) and Matt Treanor (free agent). The deal, according to MLB.com’s T.R. Sullivan, is worth $6.25 million.
* They also avoided an arbitration hearing with Mark Lowe and agreed on a one-year contract. The deal is worth $1.2 million, plus another $100,000 in incentives.
* A source told ESPNNY.com the Yankees believe Derek Jeter and his agent, Casey Close, need to “drink the reality potion.” The unnamed source told the Web site the Yankees are still not budging from their three-year, $45 million offer, and Jeter still seeks a longer contract between $23 million and $25 million per season. Talks between the two sides did not take place during the holiday weekend and none are currently scheduled, ESPNNY.com added.
* While the Jeter negotiations appear heated, ESPNNY.com added that talks between the Yankees and Mariano Rivera are “progressing much smoother.” Rivera will likely receive a bump from his 2010 salary, probably in the $16-17 million range, but the question remains whether he gets one or two years.
* Free-agent first baseman/outfielder/designated hitter Lance Berkman was originally disappointed the Astros didn’t want him back, but the Texas product told The Houston Chronicle “there’s been a lot of interest” in his services. Berkman specifically named the Cardinals, Cubs, Rockies, Athletics, Pirates and Blue Jays as teams who have been in touch, but added he hasn’t received a formal offer yet. Berkman has said he’d prefer to play in the National League, adding that he’s still capable of serving as an outfielder and first baseman.
* The Astros have talked about the possibility of an extension with right-hander Wandy Rodriguez, general manager Ed Wade told The Houston Chronicle. Rodriguez hits free agency after the 2011 season.
* The Mets will do their due diligence in shopping shortstop Jose Reyes this winter, but considering his value has never been lower, it would be shocking if they actually went ahead and traded him, MLB.com’s Anthony DiComo writes.
* The Twins have until late December to agree on a contract with Japanese middle infielder Tsuyoshi Nishioka, who sounds like someone excited to play in Minnesota. In quotes passed along by The Minneapolis Star Tribune, Nishioka told the Japanese press he has no preference between shortstop and second base and said, “I don’t think that I will give up the idea of going to the Majors because of the amount of money.”
“Minnesota Twins has been contending to the playoff every year,” he added. “To play for the good team is one of my wishes. I am happy that I could advance one step forward.” The Twins won their exclusive-negotiating for Nishioka on Friday and could use him to fill their middle-infield needs.
– Alden Gonzalez
The arbitration deadline was expected to rule the day, but
it wound up being the Tigers that made the big splash. In a rather surprising
turn of events in this offseason, coveted free-agent catcher Victor Martinez
said no to the Red Sox and wound up agreeing to a four-year,
$50 million contract with the Tigers.
The agreement, which a baseball source confirmed to MLB.com, is probably still pending a
physical and should be completed shortly.
At that point, the Tigers would officially be able to add Martinez to a middle
of the lineup that includes fellow Venezuelan Miguel Cabrera.
Here’s more from around the league Tuesday …
* After a bounce-back year that saw him make $3 million, Aubrey Huff inked
a two-year contract reportedly worth $22 million with the Giants. The
deal also includes a club option for 2013.
* Diamondbacks general manager Kevin Towers told MLB.com’s Steve Gilbert that
of all the clubs expressing interest in outfielder Justin Upton, only
“two or three” teams have the players to make a deal work. Towers
says he seeks Major League-ready players in return, not just prospects.
* The Yankees prefer to give standout free-agent closer Mariano Rivera
just a one-year deal worth upwards of $18 million, according to Yahoo! Sports.
But Rivera, 41 next week, seeks two guaranteed years at that rate.
* As for the Yankees’ other aging pitcher, Andy Pettitte is leaning towards a return to the Bronx, according to the Twitter account of Newsday’s Kevin Davidoff.
* And as for the free-agent pitcher the Yankees hope to land, an industry source told Yahoo! Sports on Monday that New York offered Cliff Lee a six-year contract worth nearly $140 million. But Lee seeks a seventh year.
* Jarrod Washburn, the 36-year-old left-hander who sat out all of last season, “continues to generate interest as a free agent,” according to Yahoo! Sports. The Brewers are believed to be one of the teams that have contacted his agent.
* Arbitration Day is in full swing. So far, Jayson Werth, Adam Dunn, Adrian Beltre and Paul Konerko have been among the ranked free agents being offered arbitration, while Derek Jeter, Mike Lowell, Manny Ramirez and Johnny Damon have been among those who have not. The deadline is 11:59 p.m. ET.
– Alden Gonzalez
The Yankees are expected to make the first proposal in what could be a long, drawn-out negotiation with icon Derek Jeter. According to several reports, the Yankees will offer Jeter a three-year deal, one “The Captain” may not take too kindly to.
The New York Post wrote recently that the three-year offer could come “very soon,” perhaps by the end of the week. The newspaper expected it to be for a total value of $45 million, but perhaps the Yankees could increase it to $57-60 million, and maybe even add a fourth-year option or a guaranteed fourth year.
ESPNNewYork.com wrote that the Yankees would simply be happy if Jeter accepts a three-year deal for $21 million per season (the same he made in the final year of a 10-year, $189 million contract in 2010). The Web site stated the 36-year-old Jeter would like four years, and maybe even five or six, but there is at least one voice within the Yankees’ brass that is preaching a hard-line approach — though some fear a public relations mess.
SI.com estimated the contract proposal to be three years, $45 million, but heard earlier from a friend of Jeter’s that the shortstop wouldn’t be pleased with anything even in the $50 million range. The Web site added, however, that the Yankees are confident Jeter wouldn’t sign elsewhere anyway.
Yankees president Randy Levine held court during the Owners Meetings in Orlando and stated that the club would be giving him a contract based on his worth as a ballplayer and nothing more, saying, “He’s a baseball player. It’s a player negotiation. Everything he is and who he is gets factored in. But this isn’t a licensing deal or a commercial-rights deal. He’s a baseball player.”
– Alden Gonzalez
NEW YORK — Prior to flying to Arkansas for a meet-and-greet with the highly coveted Cliff Lee, the Yankees’ brass was in Tampa, Fla., over the weekend, meeting with Derek Jeter and his agent, Casey Close, about his future in pinstripes, multiple local media outlets reported.
Present at the meeting were owner Hal Steinbrenner, president Randy Levine and general manager Brian Cashman, but no contractual figures were exchanged, according to reports.
Jeter, 36, is coming off the final year of a 10-year, $189 million contract. Though there is little doubt the Yankees’ captain will return to the Bronx to finish out a potential Hall of Fame career, some expect the signing process to take a while because of the potential value and tenure of his new contract.
Talking points at the meeting revolved around the possibility of Jeter eventually switching positions — though he has said he’d like to remain at shortstop for the remainder of his career — and the leadoff man’s spot in the lineup down the road, reports indicated.
Jeter, who made $21 million in 2010, is said to be seeking a four-year deal, while previous reports have stated the Yankees wouldn’t be willing to commit more than three years.
– Alden Gonzalez
- The Yankees negotiations with Jeter are expected to begin within a day or two, SI.com’s Jon Heyman suggested on Twitter. Jeter’s actual value to the Bombers is unquestionable, but his monetary value is still to be determined.
- Hisanori Takahashi, who has until midnight to work out a deal with the Mets, is reportedly asking for a three-year deal worth $4-5 million, according to Heyman. The Mets have offered Takahashi a one-year deal. According to the unique stipulation in his contract, if the two sides can’t come to an agreement tonight, Takahashi wouldn’t be eligible to re-sign with the Mets and pitch in the Majors until May 15, 2011.
- The Indians officially outrighted outfielder Andy Marte to the Minors. The former heralded prospect could be done in Cleveland and now qualifies to be a free agent. Marte never seemed to reach his potential with the Indians, batting just .224 over his five seasons in Cleveland. It remains to be seen if he’s really done with the Tribe, but there’s always the chance that a change of scenery could help Marte finally blossom.
- The Nats are expected to be a player for free agent pitcher Brandon Webb, according to Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post. Webb could be the type of low-risk starter with a big upside the Nats have been seeking to anchor their young pitching staff.
The agent for Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter touted his client’s value to the franchise on Wednesday, as the two sides prepare for negotiations that managing general partner Hal Steinbrenner has acknowledged “could get messy.”
With the conclusion of the World Series, it’s that time of year again. And with recent changes to the basic agreement, the Hot Stove is sure to be heating up even earlier this year. Free agents now have just five days to exclusively negotiate with their original team. Beginning with the sixth day, they are free to sign with any team.
- FoxSportsArizona.com reported on Tuesday that the D-backs aren’t expected to bring back pitcher Brandon Webb in 2011. The news isn’t a huge surprise considering rotator cuff and labrum injuries cost Webb nearly all of the last two seasons. Webb appeared in several Instructional League games this fall, but his fastball topped out in the low-80s. Webb carries a large upside, though, if healthy, one that figures to interest several teams this offseason.
- Yankees captain Derek Jeter is officially a free agent, but he’s widely expected to return in pinstripes. Hal Steinbrenner told Michael Kay on ESPN 1050 on Monday that the Yankees “absolutely want” Jeter back. Steinbrenner did say however that there’s always the possibility that negotiations could get messy. That’s not the Yanks’ plan, however.
- The D-backs have elected to decline their half of the option for first baseman Adam LaRoche, opting instead for a $1.5 million buyout of his contract. LaRoche is coming off a season in which he hit 25 homers and notched 100 RBIs for the first time in his career.