Results tagged ‘ edgmer escalona ’
The Hot Stove was cranked up to full blast on Wednesday night, thanks to a surprise exchange of All-Stars. In a deal first reported by CBSSports.com and later confirmed by the teams, the Tigers will send first baseman Prince Fielder to the Rangers for second baseman Ian Kinsler. Detroit also will include $30 million to help offset the disparity between the two players’ remaining contracts.
Despite the move, the Rangers still want to add a free-agent hitter such as Brian McCann, Carlos Beltran or Nelson Cruz, according to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com and MLB Network.
In other news from around the league:
- The Giants and left-handed reliever Javier Lopez are nearing an agreement on a new three-year contract.
- After losing Tim Hudson to San Francisco, the Braves are looking to add a veteran starting pitcher, writes our Mark Bowman. A trade for the Brewers’ Kyle Lohse is one possibility.
- The Padres finalized their one-year pact with free-agent righty Josh Johnson.
- The Indians might have found a new right fielder in former Ranger David Murphy.
- The Marlins would like to add a few good bats this offseason, particularly at catcher and third base, our Joe Frisaro writes. But that’s easier said than done, considering the high demand for such players.
- Our Todd Zolecki wonders if the Phillies have finished tinkering with their lineup after signing Carlos Ruiz and Marlon Byrd.
- The Orioles signed former Rockies reliever Edgmer Escalona to a one-year contract.
- Free-agent righty Dan Haren and the Dodgers have “mutual interest” as Los Angeles looks to add to its rotation, reports ESPN Los Angeles.
- The Royals have talked about pursuing A’s left-hander Brett Anderson, according to ESPN’s Buster Olney.
- The Mets are suffering from “sticker shock” as they evaluate the free-agent market this offseason, reports the New York Post.
– Andrew Simon