Results tagged ‘ indians ’

Indians sign Gavin Floyd

The Indians are betting on a bounce-back for former White Sox innings-eater Gavin Floyd.

Cleveland on Tuesday signed Floyd to a one-year contract for 2015, adding more potential depth to a starting rotation competition that was already at least seven pitchers deep. The 31-year-old Floyd posted double-digit victories while making 29-plus starts for the Sox from 2008-12 before running into injury troubles.

The Indians did not release financial details, but Chris Cotillo of SB Nation reported that Floyd would receive a $4 million salary, with $6 million more available based on innings pitched.

In 2013, Floyd made only five starts before undergoing Tommy John surgery on his right elbow. In 2014, he was 2-2 with a 2.65 ERA for the Atlanta Braves before suffering a fracture in the same elbow and missing the rest of the season.

Floyd was the fourth overall pick in the 2001 First-Year Player Draft by the Phillies and was eventually traded to the White Sox prior to 2007. He’s pitched parts of seven seasons in the American League Central.

-Adam McCalvy

Red Sox extend one-year offer to Masterson

The Red Sox have reportedly extended a one-year offer to free agent right-hander Justin Masterson, according to Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe.

The Red Sox are pursuing Masterson as a potential starter, not a relief option. That said, they are certainly not alone in their pursuit. It was reported on Monday by CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman that the Rangers also have an offer in to Masterson, while a number of other teams, including the Marlins, White Sox, Royals, Giants, Cubs, Tigers, Indians and Twins are all known to have interest as well.

Teams are banking on a bounceback year for Masterson, who is coming off a season in which he posted an unsightly 5.88 ERA over 28 injury-hampered outings (25 starts) between the Indians and Cardinals. Now seemingly healthy, teams are hoping to find a bargain with a one- or two-year deal for the 29-year-old righty.

– Paul Casella

Teams have inquired about Indians’ Santana

Teams have reportedly reached out to the Indians regarding first baseman Carlos Santana, according to FOX Sports’ Jon Morosi, though he adds that there is “no deal close.”

The inquiries about Santana likely stem, in part, from the Indians’ acquisiton of Brandon Moss on Monday. Moss, like Santana, projects primarily as a first baseman/designated hitter, though Moss also spent significant time last season at the two corner outfield positions for Oakland. Cleveland also has a logjam at those positions, with Nick Swisher, Ryan Raburn and David Murphy all already in the fold.

That said, the Indians are more likely to pursue a trade involving Swisher, who is coming off surgeries to both knees, or simply hold on to their current assets as insurance for Swisher.

Santana, 28, is coming off a season in which he recorded 27 home runs and 85 RBIs. He’s also under contract through 2017, making it unlikely that the Indians would trade him this offseason unless the return offer is simply too good to pass up.

– Paul Casella

Indians seeking to move Swisher

Unsurprisingly, the Indians have made Nick Swisher available on the trade market, according to FOX Sports’ Jon Morosi. It may also come as little surprise that Morosi reports there hasn’t been much interest as of yet.

The Indians had already gauged the market for Swisher earlier this offseason and they now seem even more inclined to find a trade partner after acquiring Brandon Moss from the A’s on Monday. It could be tough to move Swisher, however, considering he’s coming off surgery on both knees and is owed $30 million through 2016.

As for Moss, he primarily split his time with the A’s last season between first base and the two corner outfield positions. The Indians, meanwhile, have Carlos Santana to play first base, while Swisher, Ryan Raburn and David Murphy are all potential options — along with Moss — for the corner outfield spots.

In an ideal world, the Indians would be able to move Swisher at some point this offseason, though they’ve at least added some insurance in Moss in the event that Swisher stays with the team and has any struggles.

– Paul Casella

Masterson garnering significant interest

Free agent right-hander Justin Masterson has already met with the Red Sox and is expected to hold meetings with the Marlins, White Sox and possibly Cubs during this week’s Winter Meetings, according to CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman. At least three other teams — the Royals, Giants and Twins — have displayed varying amounts of interest in Masterson.

Masterson, who will turn 30 next March, is coming off a diastrous, injury-plagued season in which he went 7-9 with an unsightly 5.88 ERA over 28 combined outings (25 starts) between the Indians and Cardinals. The righty, however, was the Indians’ ace in 2013, making his first All-Star appearance while racking up a 14-10 record to go with a 3.45 ERA.

Now seemingly healthy, Masterson could be a legitimate bounceback candidate. It’s with that in mind that teams are hoping to find a bargain with what is likely to be a one- or two-year deal.

Masterson was drafted by the Red Sox in 2006 and broke into the big leagues with Boston in 2008. He pitched one-and-a-half seasons for the Sox before being traded to the Indians at the 2009 Trade Deadline. Given that history, Masterson is familiar with current Cubs executives Theo Epstein and Jed Hoyer from those days together in Boston.

The Cubs, however, have reportedly signed free agent Jason Hammel and remain focused on landing Jon Lester, who’s expected to announce a decision no later than Tuesday. The actual market for Masterson, like any pitcher still on the market, should become more clear once Lester announces his decision.

– Paul Casella

Indians, A’s still on the verge of Moss deal

The Indians and A’s are reportedly “inching close” to completing a deal that would send Brandon Moss to Cleveland, according to Joel Sherman of the New York Post.

The deal was rumored to be in the works since last week and Sherman now expects it to get done at this week’s Winter Meetings. Oakland would likely want a young middle infielder in return, with Indians prospect Joe Wendle being a potential target.

The Indians are known to be in the market for a power bat this offseason and Moss, who has 76 home runs over the last three seasons, would certainly seem to be a fit. Though Moss hit just .234 this past season, he still chipped in 25 home runs and 81 RBIs, all while battling a right hip injury that he had surgically repaired in October.

Acquiring Moss would also likely ramp up the Indians’ efforts to move Nick Swisher. The Indians were reportedly gauging the market earlier this offseason for Swisher, who is coming off surgery on both knees and is owed $30 million through 2016.

Moss primarily split his time last season between first base and the two corner outfield positions. The Indians, meanwhile, currently have Carlos Santana penciled in at first base (and part-time designated hitter), while Swisher, Ryan Raburn and David Murphy are all potential options for the corner outfield spots.

In other words, if a deal for Moss indeed comes to fruition, the Indians will likely look to make another move involving an outfielder afterwards.

– Paul Casella

David Robertson generating interest

David Robertson became the top closer on the market after declining a $15.3 million qualifying offer from the Yankees on Monday, and he’s certain to have many suitors this offseason.

In addition to the Yankees, there are at least six teams interested in signing Robertson, according to a report by the New York Daily News. Any club that signs Robertson would surrender a draft pick as compensation, but that doesn’t appear to be a major hurdle.

The Tigers, Brewers, Blue Jays, White Sox, Indians and Astros are among a number of teams with needs in the bullpen. Robertson would be an upgrade for any of those clubs.

Robertson, 29, saved 39 games last season in his first year as the Yankees’ closer. He earned $5.215 million and is set up for significant pay raise.

Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said Monday he has not yet begun negotiations with Robertson’s agent, Scott Leventhal. The right-hander is a likely to receive at least a three-year contract.

Cashman also said it’s not yet clear what the market value is for Robertson. It’s worth noting Jonathan Papelbon earned $13 million with the Phillies in 2014 as baseball’s highest-paid closer. Already this offseason, Koji Uehara re-signed with the Red Sox for $18 million over two years.

Robertson’s impending contract could affect deals for other free agent closers, including Francisco Rodriguez, Sergio Romo and Rafael Soriano.

–Austin Laymance

Antonetti: “We’re exploring all avenues”

The Indians have already pulled the trigger on a pair of low-level trades. Cleveland reeled in outfielder Chris Dickerson from the Pirates on in exchange for a player to be named or cash on Monday and acquired Minor League lefty Nick Maronde on Saturday.

Neither move was of the blockbuster variety, but that doesn’t mean the Indians aren’t looking to make a splash before the July 31 Trade Deadline.

“We’re exploring a lot of different things,” Indians general manager Chris Antonetti said on Sunday, “opportunities to improve our team for the balance of this season and then position us better moving forward, too. We’ve spent a lot of energy on fits for acquiring guys that we’d have control over beyond this year, not just guys that would just be here for the balance of the year.”

One aspect of the Indians that has been problematic through the first half, limiting the club to a .500 showing (47-47) to date, has been the starting pitching. Three of the teams Opening Day rotation members — Justin Masterson (15-day DL), righty Danny Salazar (Triple-A) and Carlos Carrasco (bullpen) — were not in the starting staff when the first half of the season ended for Cleveland.

The Indians are surely in the market for starting pitching help, but Antonetti’s not tipping his hand just yet.

“We’re exploring all avenues to improve,” said the GM. “The one thing we continue to believe is we have quality Major League starting pitchers. Any time you acquire a guy, you have to think about who it displaces from the team and the rotation, in that case. You have to have a high degree of confidence that it’s an improvement.”

Asked which area of the team he’s most like to improve, Antonetti replied: “It’s actually one of the interesting challenges that we have. I think there are teams out there that have glaring holes at particular spots, that it’s clear, ‘Hey, go out and get a right fielder, or go out and get a third baseman, or a shortstop.’

“I think with us, we’re in a little bit of a different position in that we’ve got guys in those roles that are capable of contributing. So, for us to improve, we need to improve upon a higher standard. And, in some cases, we’re counting on guys that we’ve already made commitments to rebounding.

“So, it’s a little bit of a different dynamic for us as we look to try to improve our roster.”

–Jordan Bastian

2/13 Roundup

Several teams followed the lead of the Dodgers and D-backs and officially opened Spring Training for pitchers and catchers on Thursday. The rest will follow between Friday and Monday.

But that doesn’t mean the Hot Stove has been switched off, with a handful of free agents still available and some clubs continuing to look for ways to improve via trade. The Nationals, for instance, found a strong backup for catcher Wilson Ramos on Thursday, acquiring switch hitter Jose Lobaton and two prospects from the Rays for young right-hander Nathan Karns.

In other news from around the league:

  • The Indians announced their four-year, $25 million extension with outfielder Michael Brantley. The deal buys out his arbitration eligibility and includes a fifth-year option.
  • The Orioles have agreed to a three-year contract with South Korean pitcher Suk-min Yoon, pending a physical, a source told MLB.com’s Brittany Ghiroli. However, physicals have led Baltimore to void two other deals this offseason. Yoon could fit as a starter or a reliever with the O’s.
  • Mets general manager Sandy Alderson said his team isn’t likely to spend more this offseason, meaning free-agent shortstop Stephen Drew won’t be coming to Queens.
  • Cuban free-agents Aledmys Diaz and Odrisamer Despaigne worked out for Major League scouts during a showcase in Arizona. Diaz, an infielder, and Despaigne, a right-handed pitcher, both hope to sign with a team by the end of the month.
  • The Mariners officially signed free-agent closer Fernando Rodney to a two-year contract and inked veteran lefty Randy Wolf to a Minor League deal. They also placed outfielder Franklin Gutierrez on the restricted list after he informed them that he will miss the season with a chronic gastrointestinal issue.
  • The Cubs officially reached deals with free-agent righties Jason Hammel and James McDonald, on the same day they revealed Jake Arrieta has been dealing with shoulder tightness that will push him behind schedule.
  • The Phillies released veteran righty Chad Gaudin after he failed a physical. The two sides had agreed to a Minor League contract in January.
  • The Rays are likely to sign free-agent lefty Erik Bedard, according to multiple reports. The 34-year-old went 4-12 with a 4.59 ERA in 32 games, including 26 starts, for the Astros last season.

– Andrew Simon

2/3 Roundup

Here’s a Hot Stove riddle: Two starting pitchers who posted ERAs of 3.30 or below last season, two hitters who combined for 50 home runs, and a shortstop with a strong all-around game — what do they have in common?

The answer is that they all remain free agents, with Spring Training lurking on the horizon. Sure, Ubaldo Jimenez, Ervin Santana, Nelson Cruz, Kendrys Morales and Stephen Drew all have their flaws. But there is something else at work, too.

All five players are tied to Draft pick compensation, a situation MLB.com’s Phil Rogers outlines in his latest column. The Frozen Five, as Rogers calls them, still figure to find multiyear deals, but the clock is ticking, and their options are dwindling.

In other news from around the league:

  • MLB.com’s Doug Miller takes stock of what remains on the market this offseason in The Week Ahead.
  • The D-backs have come up empty so far in their search for a starting pitcher, watching Masahiro Tanaka and Matt Garza sign elsewhere, but team president and CEO Derrick Hall said the club will continue looking. Bronson Arroyo is one potential target for Arizona.
  • The D-backs also reached a one-year deal with outfielder Gerardo Parra, avoiding arbitration.
  • Will the Yankees sign Drew or reliever Fernando Rodney? MLB.com’s Bryan Hoch tackles that question and more in his latest inbox.
  • In his inbox, Indians beat writer Jordan Bastian examines the situation involving Justin Masterson, who is headed toward an arbitration hearing and is set to become a free agent after this coming season.
  • Agent Scott Boras told FOXSports.com’s Jon Morosi that he is “very close” to getting deals for relievers Oliver Perez and Francisco Rodriguez, utility man Jeff Baker and Korean pitcher Suk-min Yoon. Several teams reportedly have interest in Yoon, with the Orioles one of those making an offer, according to The Baltimore Sun.
  • The Astros added another veteran arm to their staff, agreeing to a one-year deal with right-hander Jerome Williams.
  • Monday’s Minor League deals included a trio of relievers, with Kyle Farnsworth going to the Mets, and Armando Galarraga and Daniel Bard to the Rangers.

– Andrew Simon

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 757 other followers