Results tagged ‘ Jay Bruce ’
The free-agent market has definitely thinned, now that less than one month remains before the start of Spring Training. But as of Friday, several big names remained in the veteran corner outfielder/designated hitter category.
That may change soon.
The Rays, an industry source told MLB.com’s Jesse Sanchez, are nearing a one-year deal with Johnny Damon and are also in the mix for his former Red Sox teammate, Manny Ramirez.
But Tampa Bay may have some competition for Ramirez’s services, since sources told MLB.com’s T.R. Sullivan that the Rangers and Angels are also interested. Sullivan notes that it’s the Rangers and Rays that are the front-runners at this point, with the Angels seemingly lagging behind.
Enrique Rojas of ESPNDeportes.com heard from sources that Vladimir Guerrero, like Ramirez and Damon, could also be close to signing, saying the Orioles and Angels have interest. The Rangers, Sullivan added, also haven’t closed the door on bringing back Guerrero.
The problem is the soon-to-be-36-year-old — coming off a season in which he batted .300
with 29 homers and 115 RBIs as Texas’ full-time DH — may still be
trying to land an everyday job.
Here’s more from around the league…
* The Red Sox were trying to reel in free-agent closer Rafael Soriano
on a lucrative one-year contract, according to Jon Heyman of SI.com and
MLB Network. If they would have succeeded in that, they could’ve dealt
current closer Jonathan Papelbon to the Athletics or White Sox. Boston also made Yankees closer Mariano Rivera an offer this offseason, so there’s seemingly concern in Beantown about Papelbon.
* When Prince Fielder hits free agency at the end of the 2011
season, the slugging first baseman expects to yield a contract of at least eight
years and for about $200 million, Heyman added.
* The Reds have been all about locking up their own players this
offseason, and they still may not be done. Regarding unsigned starter
Edinson Volquez, Reds general manager Walt Jocketty told the Cincinnati
Enquirer, “We’re looking at both — one-year and multi-year” deals.
Volquez, arbitration-eligible for the first time, made $445,000 in 2010. Bronson
Arroyo, Jay Bruce, Johnny Cueto and Joey Votto have all inked
multi-year deals with the Reds this offseason.
* The Cardinals signed veteran infielder Nick Punto
to a one-year contract. The 33-year-old switch-hitter will serve as a
utility infielder and an insurance policy at third base for David Freese.
* The Mariners reduced the signing bonus of Dominican shortstop Esteilon Peguero, from $2.9 million to $1.1 million, according to Baseball America.
– Alden Gonzalez
The Reds haven’t brought in much outside help this offseason, but they’ve still been among the busiest teams in baseball. Their mission is keeping guys in-house. The club had already inked starter Bronson Arroyo to a three-year, $35 million extension. Then, late Thursday night, the club agreed on a six-year, $51 million contract with Jay Bruce, a source told MLB.com’s Mark Sheldon.
Now, they’re apparently turning their attention to Joey Votto and Johnny Cueto.
The Reds have been wanting to sign Votto, the reigning National League MVP, to some sort of extension, but ESPN.com’s Jerry Crasnick believes it won’t be for the six years that Bruce got. According to the Cincinnati Enquirer, the Reds have also had preliminary discussions with Cueto about a long-term deal.
Here’s more from around the league on Friday …
* All was quiet on the Cliff Lee front as of Friday afternoon. The Rangers on Thursday presented Lee with a wide array of complex offers, and now, they wait. The Yankees had recently upped their proposal to seven years, but good friend CC Sabathia will give Lee his space, too. Is the ballyhooed left-hander agonizing over his decision right now? C.J. Wilson doesn’t think so. He thinks Lee is deer hunting.
* Young, non-tendered catcher Russell Martin could be close to making his decision. The Yankees, Red Sox and Blue Jays have been reported to have serious interest, with New York taking “an aggressive approach,” ESPN.com’s Buster Olney wrote via Twitter. He is said to be deciding between those three American League East teams.
* The Orioles made potential closer Kevin Gregg a two-year offer worth $8 to $10 million, according to the Baltimore Sun. Gregg seems to be negotiating with several teams right now. The question is whether the O’s would give him a chance to be their ninth-inning man.
* A few signings made today: The Royals got Melky Cabrera to be their center fielder; the Orioles resigned veteran infielder Cesar Izturis; the Brewers picked up catcher Wil Nieves; and the Braves officially signed lefty reliever George Sherrill.
* According to Olney, Jorge Cantu is one of the first basemen “seriously being considered” by the Diamondbacks. Cantu was a solid run-producer in the middle of the Marlins’ lineup the last two-plus years, but struggled while playing sparingly with the Rangers towards the end of the 2010 season.
– Alden Gonzalez
In a deal that secures one of the pieces of their long-term future, the Reds have agreed to terms late Thursday night with right fielder Jay Bruce on a six-year, $51 million contract, a baseball source confirmed to MLB.com.
The agreement, which avoids arbitration, comes with an option for a seventh year that could push the total earnings to $63 million. The option has a $1 million buyout. ESPN.com first reported the story.
It will be a while until the deal is made official and the Reds have yet to make an announcement. Bruce is scheduled to fly to Cincinnati for his physical on Monday and the signing could be completed by Tuesday.
Bruce earned $440,000 in 2010 and was awarded “Super 2″ status after last season, which allowed him first-time arbitration eligible earlier than normal. The contract would wipe out any arbitration issues for all four years, plus two years of potential free agency.
– Mark Sheldon
As a Super 2 player eligible for a fourth year of arbitration, Reds right fielder Jay Bruce will be getting a big raise from his $440,000 salary from this past season. Bruce is looking to stick with the Reds long term beyond the one-year contracts at a time that can come via the arbitration process.
Bruce’s agent, Matt Sosnick, said on Tuesday that his client is open to signing a multi-year contract with Cincinnati.
“If Jay can get compensated fairly over his arbitration years and into his free agency years, we’re open to it,” Sosnick said. “If it makes financial sense, we’ll look at it. There is no hesitation on Jay’s part to stay in Cincinnati for as long as possible. He loves it there.”
In 148 games, Bruce batted .281 with 25 home runs, 70 RBIs and a .353 on-base percentage. Defensively, his arm netted seven assists. In his nearly three years in the big leagues, he already has 68 home runs at 23 years old.
The Reds have multiple key players first-time arbitration eligible including Joey Votto, Edinson Volquez, Johnny Cueto and Bill Bray.
Look for more later on MLB.com and Reds.com.
– Mark Sheldon
- The Yankees negotiations with Jeter are expected to begin within a day or two, SI.com’s Jon Heyman suggested on Twitter. Jeter’s actual value to the Bombers is unquestionable, but his monetary value is still to be determined.
- Hisanori Takahashi, who has until midnight to work out a deal with the Mets, is reportedly asking for a three-year deal worth $4-5 million, according to Heyman. The Mets have offered Takahashi a one-year deal. According to the unique stipulation in his contract, if the two sides can’t come to an agreement tonight, Takahashi wouldn’t be eligible to re-sign with the Mets and pitch in the Majors until May 15, 2011.
- The Indians officially outrighted outfielder Andy Marte to the Minors. The former heralded prospect could be done in Cleveland and now qualifies to be a free agent. Marte never seemed to reach his potential with the Indians, batting just .224 over his five seasons in Cleveland. It remains to be seen if he’s really done with the Tribe, but there’s always the chance that a change of scenery could help Marte finally blossom.
- The Nats are expected to be a player for free agent pitcher Brandon Webb, according to Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post. Webb could be the type of low-risk starter with a big upside the Nats have been seeking to anchor their young pitching staff.