Results tagged ‘ jon daniels ’
Responding to a recent report that the Angels were intensifying their efforts to land C.J. Wilson, and were even starting to look like frontrunners, Rangers president and CEO Nolan Ryan said Tuesday: “I don’t know what to make of that situation. Obviously they’re exploring all their options and enjoying the position they are in. Where that goes, I don’t know.”
Bob Nightengale of USA Today tweeted on Monday night that the Angels “have emerged as favorites” for Wilson. The Halos were reportedly meeting with Wilson’s agent at that point, Day 1 of the Winter Meetings from Dallas, and Jon Morosi of FOXSports.com said via Twitter that the Angels were making a “serious push” to sign him.
Reached by phone on Tuesday by Rangers reporter T.R. Sullivan, though, Wilson sounded like a man who was still feeling out the process.
“As far as I know, the teams that have been interested in me are still interested in me,” said Wilson, adding that Rangers general manager Jon Daniels is expected to have dinner with his agent on Tuesday night. “I don’t know if anything has changed beyond that.”
Later on Wednesday, Pavano finalized a two-year, $16.5 million contract with the Twins, whom he helped lead to the AL Central championship last season.
He went 17-11 with a 3.75 ERA and led the team in wins, along with innings pitched (221). Since being acquired by the Twins in August 2009, Pavano is 22-15 with a 3.97 ERA in 44 starts.
In other news Wednesday:
- Entering the last season of a four-year deal, Mets’ shortstop Jose Reyes said he wants to talk an extension as soon as possible. “I don’t want to talk about my contract during the season,” Reyes said Wednesday at a Citi Field Kids charity event. “I want to focus on doing my thing, trying to help this team win a lot of ballgames.”
- With Jim Thome in Minnesota, the Rangers are still looking for a hitter, Rangers president Nolan Ryan told MLB.com’s T.R. Sullivan. “It’s always nice to have a veteran bat off the bench. It gives you an opportunity late in the game if you don’t like the matchups. I’m not sure that person is out there.” Ryan also said an extension for general manager Jon Daniels is a priority.
- Left-handed reliever Brian Fuentes‘ deal with the A’s is official. According to The Associated Press, the deal is worth a guaranteed $10.5 million over two years, with a $6.5 million club option for 2013. The Nationals’ acquisition of Tom Gorzelanny from the Cubs also became official.
- The Rockies and Joe Crede agreed on a Minor League deal. Crede sat out the 2010 season with a multitude of injuries. He turns 33 in April.
- Crede’s one-time team, the White Sox, announced the invitation of 14 to big league camp, including right-hander Brian Bruney and Jordan Danks. The latter is the 24-year-old younger brother of White Sox starter John Danks. Jordan hit .245 with 27 doubles, eight homers and 42 RBIs in his first season at Triple-A in 2010.
- The mother of Cubs outfielder Alfonso Soriano has passed away in the Dominican Republic.