Results tagged ‘ Justin Smoak ’
The Indians signed a free-agent starting pitcher on Saturday, but it wasn’t Ubaldo Jimenez. Instead of bringing back Jimenez, who rejected a qualifying offer from the club in November, Cleveland signed right-hander Aaron Harang to a Minor League deal with an invitation to Major League Spring Training. The veteran is expected to compete for the fifth spot in the Indians’ rotation.
Cleveland also prevailed in its arbitration case against pitcher Josh Tomlin. The right-hander will earn $800,000 this season. The Indians have another arbitration hearing scheduled for Thursday with starter Justin Masterson, but the sinkerballer says the pending
contract talks don’t bother him at all.
In other Hot Stove news:
• The Cubs added depth to their bench, signing veteran utility man Emilio Bonifacio. He was released by the Royals on Wednesday after being designated for assignment on Feb. 1.
• The Mariners and first baseman Justin Smoak avoided salary arbitration, agreeing to terms on a one-year contract with a club option for 2015. Seattle has now signed all of its arbitration-eligible players.
• The A’s and outfielder Josh Reddick agreed to a one-year deal, clearing the club’s arbitration slate.
• The Red Sox won’t be going to any arbitration hearings either after coming to terms with left-handed reliever Andrew Miller on a one-year contract for 2014.
• The Orioles claimed utility man Jimmy Paredes off waivers from the Marlins. The switch hitter is expected to compete for a spot on Baltimore’s bench.