Results tagged ‘ Magglio Ordonez ’
If Magglio Ordonez has his way, his last memory on a baseball field won’t be of him trying to hobble around with a re-fractured ankle. The All-Star outfielder and former batting champion is set to start rehab shortly with the goal of playing next season, his good friend and longtime teammate Carlos Guillen said.
That fits in with other reports from the past few weeks suggesting Ordonez would go through the rehab process and try to play. Ordonez himself hasn’t been quoted since the Tigers season ended in the ALCS.
Tigers president/general manager Dave Dombrowski said last week that Ordonez underwent surgery to repair his fractured right ankle. Guillen said in a phone interview Saturday that Ordonez is going to start the rehab process shortly, again working out in south Florida.
“He’s doing better,” Guillen said.
So, too, is Guillen, who says this will be his first offseason with his full health in a few years. Like Ordonez, Guillen is a free agent, and he plans on playing.
“Why not? If you feel you can play, why not,” he asked.
Neither of them will be playing with theTigers, barring a reversal of plans. Dombrowski said last week that he told Ordonez and Guillen in the season’s final weeks that Detroit had no plans to re-sign them once they hit the free-agent market at season’s end. Ordonez, who turns 38 years old in January, has been a Tiger since 2005. The 36-year-old Guillen has been a Tiger since 2004, when he was one of the first moves in the Tigers’ rebuilding plan.
“It’s baseball,” Guillen said. “You know where you start. You never know where you finish. I understand.”
— Jason Beck
It turns out Orlando Hudson may be team-less no more.
Hudson broke the news himself on MLB Network Radio that his next destination is San Diego, and FOXSports.com reported that the Padres and the free-agent second baseman agreed to terms on a two-year, $11.5 million contract.
Hudson — a two-time All-Star joining his fourth team in four years — will fill the role played last year by David Eckstein, who’s a free agent and said recently that the Padres have not contacted him about a return.
Here’s more from around the league …
* The Yankees, according to multiple reports, have agreed on a two-year contract with veteran reliever Pedro Feliciano. Feliciano, the former Met who has led the Majors in appearances each of the last three seasons, joins Boone Logan to give the Yanks two lefties in the bullpen.
* Reigning World Series MVP Edgar Renteria was none-too-thrilled with the $1 million offer the Giants tendered him this offseason. “That offer from the Giants was a lack of respect,” Renteria told ESPNdeportes.com. “A total disrespect.” Renteria has previously stated he’d like to finish his career with the Marlins or Cardinals.
* The Astros reached an agreement with the versatile Bill Hall to be their starting second baseman, sources told MLB.com’s Brian McTaggart. According to FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal, the two sides agreed on a one-year contract worth about about $3 million and with a mutual option for 2012.
— Alden Gonzalez
The Konerko deal was somewhat surprising, considering talks between the two
sides seemed to be on life support just a day ago. But even after signing Adam
Dunn, Chicago was able to give Konerko a three-year, $37.5 million to form what looks like one of the best lineups in baseball for 2011.
With the Cubs, Pena is reunited with his old esteemed hitting coach, Rudy
Jaramillo, and receives what super-agent Scott Boras referred to as
a “pillow contract” — because, as Boras said, it’s comfortable for both
sides. That deal is for one year and $10 million, as Pena will try to rebuild
his worth after hitting 28 homers but batting below .200 in 2010.
Here’s more from around the league on Wednesday …
* No more fooling around for the Yankees. They’re ready to make ballyhooed
free-agent starter Cliff Lee a
preliminary offer of six years and between $140 and $150 million, MLB.com’s
Bryan Hoch confirmed. Will that be enough, considering reports of mystery teams
offering seven years?
* The Rangers met with Carl Crawford‘s agent, according to MLB.com’s T.R. Sullivan.
* Adrian Beltre is still open to signing with the Athletics, according
to Boras. Boras also said negotiations for his third-base client are moving
quickly, and that the Angels are a very possible suitor.
* There had been several reports that the Red Sox would be interested in
trading for Mets outfielder Carlos Beltran. But Boras, who represents
him, says Beltran plans
to be a Met in 2011. That’s significant, considering he has a no-trade clause.
* Five teams are seriously pursuing Zack Greinke while another three are
“on the periphery,” according to FOXSports.com. It still seems like
he’d be tough
to move, however. The Royals are specific with what they want: pitching and
* The Red Sox, according to CBS Sports, are zeroing in on Magglio Ordonez
to fill their outfield void, which would not be good news for Crawford. The Tigers are also checking.
* The Twins continue their
interest in resigning Carl Pavano, but they have competition. The
Brewers, according to MLB.com’s Adam McCalvy, have
also met with Pavano. The Nationals are another club known to have
* In less-heralded one-year deals on Wednesday, the Mariners signed
non-tendered designated hitter Jack Cust; the Royals brought
in outfielder Jeff Francoeur; the D-backs were reportedly on the verge of signing catcher Henry
Blanco and veteran lefty Mike Hampton (Minor League deal); the
Braves acquired non-tendered lefty reliever George Sherrill; and the Dodgers were close to bringing back Russell Martin.
— Alden Gonzalez
The Tigers were among the teams to watch Magglio Ordonez work out for clubs Wednesday morning, but it hasn’t gotten them any closer to a deal to bring back the All-Star right fielder to Detroit just yet.
“The marketplace for Magglio,” Boras said Wednesday, “is pretty aggressive.”
Boras spoke with reporters in the hallways of the Walt Disney World Swan & Dolphin Resort, where baseball’s Winter Meetings are taking place this week. He spoke about a number of players, including the just-signed Carlos Pena, but his remarks on Ordonez became a popular topic.
Boras scheduled a workout for Ordonez to demonstrate the health of his surgically repaired ankle, which Boras has said in recent weeks is fully healed and has allowed him to adopt a normal workout regimen. Boras would not say where the workout took place, but since Ordonez has been working out near his home in South Florida, and with the Winter Meetings are taking place here, one would expect he worked out in Florida rather than his native Venezuela.
“We had a workout today with Magglio where he got a chance to illustrate where he got a chance to illustrate just where his baseball abilities were at,” Boras said. “That took place this morning. Teams got to see that. I really don’t know [how many teams] because I haven’t gotten the report. I know that Detroit was there for sure.”
The Tigers have gone into silence about their interest in Ordonez, his health, and contract negotiations, citing new baseball rules limiting their comments about free agents. However, they’re known to be interested, as are at least two other clubs with the Red Sox and Rangers.
Ordonez is seeking at least a two-year deal, according to a source. Boras wouldn’t confirm that Wednesday, preferring to let the market decide, but he indicated the market on Ordonez has grown in recent days since Jayson Werth’s seven-year deal with the Nationals.
“Magglio is a guy that has gotten a lot of interest from a lot of teams now that Jayson has signed,” said Boras. “He’s a middle of the [order] guy. He’s had a great batting average, been a productive guy, he’s a veteran player and he’s a winner. There are a lot of things about Magglio Ordonez where he fits a broad base of teams. Once Jayson signed, a lot of the teams interested in Jayson are now interested in Magglio.”
The Tigers had barely arrived here at baseball’s Winter Meetings on Sunday when the Jayson Werth signing made waves through the Walt Disney World Swan & Dolphin Resort. It could have a major effect on what the Tigers do here once business begins in earnest on Monday.
That includes a potential reunion with Magglio Ordonez, which now looks more viable than ever. The Tigers’ best shot at an offensive upgrade might well be a return of their former batting champion.
“I certainly know we’ll be talking,” agent Scott Boras said of the Tigers and Ordonez.
Boras made the comment after the Nationals announced their seven-year deal with Werth, whom Boras also represents. Washington reportedly outbid other interested teams by offering a longer contract at an average of $18 million per season.
The Tigers have been viewed around baseball as among the most interested teams in Werth. Team president/general manager Dave Dombrowski, however, said they weren’t in the bidding.
“We were not involved,” Dombrowski told MLB.com in an email Sunday.
Boras told MLB.com that he talked with Dombrowski quite a bit this week, on Ordonez and other topics. He said they agreed that they would continue their conversations here. It’s worth noting that Boras also represents reliever Zach Miner, whom the Tigers designated for assignment last week but whom the Tigers would be interested in bringing back.
— Jason Beck
The Tigers found the hitter who can protect Miguel Cabrera in the lineup
with their Victor Martinez signing. But just because Martinez can fill
the job, doesn’t mean that he will.
Jim Leyland said Friday afternoon that he’s up in the air whether to bat
Martinez third or fifth. The reason for the indecisiveness is that the
offseason moves are potentially incomplete.
“It depends on what our team looks like by the time we get to Spring
Training,” Leyland said by phone. “He’s either going to hit right in
front of [Cabrera] or right behind him.”
Asked if the fact that Martinez is a switch-hitter will play into the decision, Leyland came up with the line of the day.
“No, the fact that he’s a great hitter,” Leyland said.
Dave Dombrowski didn’t give a firm answer either way when asked if they
have the wiggle room for one more signing — which pretty much should mean
they have room. If they knew they were up against it on payroll, there
would be no reason to play coy. Whether they have the realistic potential to
compete on another big free agent, such as Carl Crawford or Jayson
Werth, is another question. So is the potential for bringing back
Magglio Ordonez, which Dombrowski didn’t want to address Friday.
He did indicate that the one area where they have the opening for an addition is in the corner outfield.
“We’ve actually made four signings this wintertime, so I think what
we’ll probably do next week is sit back [and analyze],” Dombrowski said.
— Jason Beck
The Tigers have interest in Magglio Ordonez, and Ordonez has interest in staying with the Tigers. Starting Sunday, other teams and other free-agent outfielders will get to enter the mix and negotiate with each other. And the talk won’t just be on the Tigers side.
While the Tigers hit the free-agent market in search of a run producer for the middle of their order, Ordonez’s agent, Scott Boras, expects to gather interest in his client from several teams. So if an Ordonez return to Detroit is going to happen, it isn’t likely to happen quickly.
“We’ve gotten a lot of early calls,” Boras said. “I think with this marketplace, the right-handed hitters of that ilk, like Magglio, there’s going to be a very strong demand for them.”
How much of an impact Ordonez’s ankle makes on his offseason remains to be seen. He’ll turn 37 at the end of January, and Tigers fans witnessed Scott Sizemore’s slow recovery from ankle surgery this past season. Boras, however, echoed comments Ordonez made to Venezuelan reporter Augusto Cardenas last month, that his ankle is at 90 percent and strengthening.
“I think a lot is being made of a standard fracture, what a lot orthopedic surgerons say a minor fracture,” Boras said. “There’s no issue with flexibility, weight bearing, anything like that. It was really just a very simple fracture. It simply took some time to heal. This was not a complicated event. There really will not be any time frame where teams will wait and see if he has any trouble performing.”
There’s a huge advantage for Ordonez in this market if he’s viewed as a full-time outfielder. The outfield market drops off significantly beyond top free agents Carl Crawford and Jayson Werth, unless there are teams that see Adam Dunn, Vladimir Guerrero and Hideki Matsui as full-time outfielders. Ordonez was an everyday right fielder at the time of his injury, and while his short strides towards fly balls looked uncertain at times, his routes were generally true. The one question would be the ankle, and Boras doesn’t expect it to be an issue.
He’s strong enough about it that he doesn’t expect Ordonez to play winter ball — not that he can’t, but that he shouldn’t.
— Jason Beck