Results tagged ‘ mets ’
With one week remaining until the start of the usually-hectic Winter Meetings in Lake Buena Vista, Fla., the busy Dodgers made another move, agreeing to terms with Juan Uribe on a three-year deal reportedly worth about $21 million.
With Uribe, the Dodgers swipe a big piece of the Giants’ World Series championship run away from their division rivals and add a much-needed right-handed power bat to the middle of the lineup. Uribe played 103 games at shortstop, 26 at third base and 24 at second while batting .248 with 24 homers and 85 RBIs in 2010 (not including a postseason run that saw him drive in nine runs in 14 games).
In Los Angeles, he figures to start at second base, which will likely lead to the non-tendering of Trade Deadline acquisition Ryan Theriot. Despite dealing with instability up top, the Dodgers had already locked up their rotation by re-signing Ted Lilly and acquiring Jon Garland.
Here’s more from around the league …
* The Rangers signed catcher Yorvit Torrealba to a two-year
contract. Torrealba, a 10-year veteran who played in 95 games for the
Padres in 2010 — batting .271 with seven homers and 37 RBIs while
starting 89 games — fills a void left by Bengie Molina (likely retired) and Matt Treanor (free agent). The deal, according to MLB.com’s T.R. Sullivan, is worth $6.25 million.
* They also avoided an arbitration hearing with Mark Lowe and agreed on a one-year contract. The deal is worth $1.2 million, plus another $100,000 in incentives.
* A source told ESPNNY.com the Yankees believe Derek Jeter and his agent, Casey Close, need to “drink the reality potion.” The unnamed source told the Web site the Yankees are still not budging from their three-year, $45 million offer, and Jeter still seeks a longer contract between $23 million and $25 million per season. Talks between the two sides did not take place during the holiday weekend and none are currently scheduled, ESPNNY.com added.
* While the Jeter negotiations appear heated, ESPNNY.com added that talks between the Yankees and Mariano Rivera are “progressing much smoother.” Rivera will likely receive a bump from his 2010 salary, probably in the $16-17 million range, but the question remains whether he gets one or two years.
* Free-agent first baseman/outfielder/designated hitter Lance Berkman was originally disappointed the Astros didn’t want him back, but the Texas product told The Houston Chronicle “there’s been a lot of interest” in his services. Berkman specifically named the Cardinals, Cubs, Rockies, Athletics, Pirates and Blue Jays as teams who have been in touch, but added he hasn’t received a formal offer yet. Berkman has said he’d prefer to play in the National League, adding that he’s still capable of serving as an outfielder and first baseman.
* The Astros have talked about the possibility of an extension with right-hander Wandy Rodriguez, general manager Ed Wade told The Houston Chronicle. Rodriguez hits free agency after the 2011 season.
* The Mets will do their due diligence in shopping shortstop Jose Reyes this winter, but considering his value has never been lower, it would be shocking if they actually went ahead and traded him, MLB.com’s Anthony DiComo writes.
* The Twins have until late December to agree on a contract with Japanese middle infielder Tsuyoshi Nishioka, who sounds like someone excited to play in Minnesota. In quotes passed along by The Minneapolis Star Tribune, Nishioka told the Japanese press he has no preference between shortstop and second base and said, “I don’t think that I will give up the idea of going to the Majors because of the amount of money.”
“Minnesota Twins has been contending to the playoff every year,” he added. “To play for the good team is one of my wishes. I am happy that I could advance one step forward.” The Twins won their exclusive-negotiating for Nishioka on Friday and could use him to fill their middle-infield needs.
– Alden Gonzalez
The Wall St. Journal reported Friday that the D-backs have offered former Mets general manager Omar Minaya a job as a special assistant to new GM Kevin Towers, though Minaya is “in no rush to decide” whether or not to accept the offer.
The Mets dismissed Minaya last month and still owe him more than $1 million next season.
–Anthony DiComo (Twitter: @AnthonyDiComo)
In need of another left-hander in the bullpen, the Yankees are reportedly interested in veteran southpaw Pedro Feliciano, according to the Twitter account of Newsday’s Kevin Davidoff.
Feliciano has led the National League in appearances each of the last three seasons, compiling a 3.44 ERA, a 1.414 WHIP and a 2.23 strikeout-to-walk ratio. For his eight-year career — spent entirely with the Mets — the 34-year-old has limited opposing lefty hitters to .214 batting average (compared to .283 for right-handed hitters).
Quality lefty relievers don’t come cheap in the free-agent market, and the Marlins, Mets, Astros, Cardinals, Diamondbacks, Red Sox, Royals, Twins and Phillies are all teams that went into the offseason looking for lefty-reliever help.
With Damaso Marte being unavailable since the beginning of July, the Yankees really only only had Boone Logan as a left-handed option in the bullpen last year.
– Alden Gonzalez
The Red Sox, to the
surprise of almost no one, have reached out to agent Scott Boras to express
their interest in free-agent outfielder Jayson Werth, ESPNBoston.com reported
on Monday, attributing an unnamed baseball source.
Boras did not
immediately return a phone call from MLB.com.
The exclusive window
for free agents to negotiate with the clubs they finished the previous season
with ended on Sunday, so clubs can now reach out to any free agent.
Negotiations for Werth are expected to be a drawn-out process, considering the
money he’ll land and the track record of the agent representing him.
Werth hit .296 with 27
homers and 85 RBIs in 156 games last season. From 2008-10, he’s hit .279 with
29 homers and 84 RBIs.
Last year, free-agent
outfielder Matt Holliday – a Boras client – inked a seven-year, $120 million
contract with the Cardinals, while Jason Bay signed for four years and $66
million with the Mets. Werth’s price range is predicted to be somewhere in that
– Alden Gonzalez
More than two months after acquiring Pat Burrell, the Giants added another power-hitting right-handed bat to help bolster their corner outfield on Friday, when they picked up veteran Jose Guillen from the Royals in exchange for a player to be named later and cash considerations.
He isn’t Adam Dunn or Prince Fielder — don’t give up hope on those guys, either, though — but Carlos Delgado is still out there, without a team, and wants to play. Contending teams are reportedly interested.
An interesting note this morning out of SI.com, which reported that the Mets attempted to swap much-maligned lefty Oliver Perez to the Cubs for equally-maligned right-hander Carlos Zambrano. The sticking point, according to the report, was the Mets’ insistence that the Cubs also take on the contract of second baseman Luis Castillo.
Though the deal did not happen, the web site also reported that Mets manager Jerry Manuel is refusing to pitch Perez at home in New York. According to SI.com, the Mets again plan on asking Perez to accept a Minor League assignment — something he refused to do earlier this season.
Carlos Zambrano says he would waive his no-trade clause if the Cubs asked. There are reports that the Mets have inquired about the right-hander, who wants to get back in the rotation.
“I want to stay [with the Cubs],” Zambrano said Friday, “but I understand this is a business and whatever the Cubs want me to do — if they think I’m a problem here and they want to move me, it’s sad that I would move if they think I’m the problem,.”
What if Cubs GM Jim Hendry asked Zambrano to waive his no-trade clause?
“If they come to me and say they want to trade me, I would say, ‘Yes,’” Zambrano said. “If they ask me, ‘Hey, we want to trade you,’ I wouldn’t say no. I would say ‘yes’ because obviously when they put something on the table, it’s because they don’t want you or they think there are better players and they need to move you.”
Does Zambrano need a fresh start somewhere else?
“It’s up to me,” he said. “It’s up to me to behave myself to be good on the field to be smart and to change things around.”
However, FoxSports.com reports Saturday that the Mets offer of Perez and Castillo for Zambrano never had a chance and Big Z will not be moved.
– Carrie Muskat
It’s decision day for the Cubs. The trading deadline is 2 p.m. MT. FoxSports.com says there are still four teams — the Dodgers, Twins, Tigers and Yankees — who are pursuing Ted Lilly. The lefty prepped on Friday as he normally would for his next start, which would be Monday at Wrigley Field.
“Teddy wants to stay here but he knows the game of baseball and he knows that something could happen,” Cubs manager Lou Piniella said. “It’s good to see they want to stay here. That speaks well.”
Lilly is trying to focus on pitching.
“We’re near the end of July and I only have three wins,” said the lefty, who is 3-8 with a 3.69 ERA. “I really want more than that.
“It doesn’t settle so well,” he said. “I’ve got 18 starts and I’ve got three wins. It’s bothersome. That’s what I’m here for is to go out and try to win.”
There’s also been some interest in Ryan Theriot, whose phone was loaded with messages from people, including his agent, wondering if he was pulled from Friday’s game because a deal had been made. It was simply a double switch. The Denver Post reported the D-backs have talked to the Cubs about a possible Theriot for Kelly Johnson swap.
Less than 24 hours after he was activated from the restricted list, Carlos Zambrano also is getting some action. Big Z told reporters Friday in Denver that he would consider waiving his no trade clause if the Cubs wanted to move him. According to SI.com, the Mets offered Oliver Perez and Luis Castillo for Zambrano but the Cubs said no. Big Z still has a lot of money remaining on his contract ($6.4 million this year; $17.9 million in 2011; $18 million in 2012).
– Carrie Muskat