Results tagged ‘ Padres ’
It’s certainly beginning to look that way.
Granted, things can change quickly between now and Wednesday’s non-waiver Trade Deadline and the Padres might still be blown away by an offer for, say, one of their relievers.
But for now, it appears there’s a good possibility the team won’t make any moves.
If you read rumors about the availability of outfielder Carlos Quentin, move on. He’s not and has never been on the table as far as trade discussions. He holds a no-trade clause and he’s been approached about waiving that right.
As much as the Padres would like to add a starting pitcher — and they will before the start of Spring Training — they might have a better chance to make a deal after the regular season.
Yes, the Padres have some interesting trade pieces, especially relievers Luke Gregerson and Joe Thatcher, but the market is still flooded with relievers, leading to speculation that contending teams won’t need to overpay to add an arm.
Again, this could all change in the time it takes me to hit the ‘publish post’ button, but I won’t be surprised at all if the Padres wait until the off-season to make big changes to their roster.
– Corey Brock
No, this isn’t news.
A month ago, when the Padres were still in the thick of the National League West race, they were looking for starting pitching to bolster their rotation.
Now, even after tumbling out of the race due to a bad month of July, the Padres still need starting pitching — not so much for the rest of 2013 but for 2014 and beyond.
It’s a strong possibility that the trio of Jason Marquis (Tommy John surgery), Clayton Richard and Edinson Volquez won’t return in 2014.
That leaves Andrew Cashner, Eric Stults and Tyson Ross as the leading candidates for starting jobs in 2014. Go ahead and add two players coming off Tommy John surgery, Cory Luebke and Joe Wieland, to that mix as well.
The Padres know they need to add starting pitching between now and the start of Spring Training and they have a few interesting pieces they could sell high on, no more so than reliever Luke Gregerson.
Going into Saturday’s game against the D-backs, the Padres had a starting pitcher go seven or more innings just 20 times in the first 104 games of the season.
The Padres would love to add a pitcher that they can control through 2014 (and, if possible, beyond).
Their best chance to do so could come between now and Wednesday’s deadline. If not, they’ll try to strike a deal in the off-season.
Either way, the team will add starting pitching. It’s just a matter of when.
– Corey Brock
A month ago, Padres general manager Josh Byrnes said the team was “very aggressive in kicking the tires” on several potential additions for a team that not long ago was two games above .500 and one game out of first place in the National League West.
But today, as the Padres prepare to start the second half with the first of 10 games on the road, Byrnes has been singing a different tune with teams.
“Different conversations,” Byrnes said last week.
Translation: The Padres are no longer buyers but are more so sellers (in reality, everyone is a seller to some degree, but that’s a different post).
The Padres, who were always hoping to find additions to their pitching staff, have always had their sight set on players they could control beyond 2013. The part about being high on adding a ‘rental’ player? That likely was never going to happen.
So if the team is selling, who is on the block? Just about everyone, likely. Chase Headley is and will continue to get hits from other teams. He’s not going anywhere. Same for second baseman Jedd Gyorko.
The Padres would still like to add pitching but would have to dip into their Minor League system to do so. Edinson Volquez isn’t drawing much attention. Someone like Kyle Blanks or Jesus Guzman might, but you’d likely have to package one of them with a prospect to get anything substantial in return.
– Corey Brock
The last-place Padres, 11 1/2 games back in the National League West, don’t appear to be buyers as the July 31 non-waiver Trade Deadline nears, general manager Josh Byrnes told UT-San Diego:
“I think the one thing our recent play has done is it doesn’t make sense for us to go for a rental,” Byrnes told the newspaper. “To say that we make a trade to bring in somebody who is on our team now and helping us but we also have beyond this year, we’re certainly knocking on those doors.”
Also, on Wednesday, Jon Heyman reported the Yankees inquired about Padres third baseman Chase Headley, but San Diego told the Yanks there wasn’t a fit.
Heyman also speculates that the Twins will retain manager Ron Gardenhire after his contract runs out this year. Twins general manger Terry Ryan recently told MLB.com Gardy’s job is not in jeopardy:
“There’s no validity to it,” Ryan said of a recent column in the Minneapolis Star Tribune speculating the ending of Gardenhire’s tenure. “He and I are the leadership of this organization, and we take accountability. He is basically in the clubhouse and in the dugout, and I’m in charge of the whole operation, and we both are feeling like we’re letting the people down. It’s as simple as that.”
In International news, one day after MLB.com reported Cuban right-hander Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez could sign with a club as early as next week, the El Nuevo Herald reported 24-year-old pitcher Misael Siverio has defected from Cuba.
“It is not easy leaving behind what is yours, but after a giving it a lot of thought I made this decision for my future and for my family,” Silverio told the paper. “My dream, of course, is to make the Major Leagues, and starting today I will start doing what I need to do to accomplish that.”
- Cash Kruth
It wasn’t all that long ago when the Padres were 36-34 and just one game back in the NL West.
They were going to add pitching, likely a starter, to bolster their rotation. They were ready to part with prospects to do so.
Well, not anymore — not they way they’ve played of late.
The Padres entered Tuesday’s game against the Rockies on a 10-game losing skid.
“It has changed,” said Padres general manager Josh Byrnes. “We were very aggressive in kicking the tires. The prices we heard were very high.”
Now that the team has drifted back in the NL West, there’s no sense in swinging a deal unless the team shows it can perform better.
“Now, we need to climb back in it,” Byrnes said.
The team wasn’t really in on Ricky Nolasco and the cost the Cubs are seeking for Matt Garza, at this point of the month at least, is considered very high.
– Corey Brock
The Padres continue to pursue pitching, though one target they’ve liked for a long time — Jake Arrieta — is likely off the table now that he’s been traded from the Orioles to the Cubs.
The Padres have liked Arrieta since last season and have had discussions with the Orioles since the Winter Meetings about obtaining the right-hander, who many figure will benefit from a chance of scenery.
So unless the Cubs have plans to flip Arrieta to the Padres, San Diego general manager Josh Byrnes will continue to look for pitching to aid the starting rotation.
There’s still plenty of time, of course, before the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline but there’s a sense that business could pick-up for teams now that the first chips have been exchanged in the Cubs-Orioles deal on Tuesday.
– Corey Brock
Like (seemingly) everyone else, the Padres are pursuing starting pitching help to aid their starting rotation.
Sounds simple enough, right?
It’s not, for several reasons. Finding the right trading partner is one thing, agreeing on a package of prospects — the players the Padres would part with to get an arm to solidify their rotation – will be the hard part.
The Padres have gone to great lengths to build their farm system from one that was largely devoid of talent to one filled with good players — not great or marquee players, mind you — but players who can help them in the future.
The Padres, in a perfect world, would like to add a pitcher they could have control over beyond 2013, a pitcher who could be a part of the starting rotation moving forward.
This doesn’t mean the Padres are opposed to a rental, but if they’re going to part with good prospects, they’ll need a controllable arm in return.
“As with most teams, we’re not going to be totally short-term focused,” said Padres general manager Josh Byrnes. “We still have to balance the short term and long term. Giving up prospects is a big deal to us and getting a player back who might only be here half the year … we’ve got to balance all of that out.”
One pitcher who could hold value to a rebuilding team is 22-year-old right-handed pitcher Keyvius Sampson. Sampson’s value has never been higher, as he’s allowed one run in his last 14 innings on four hits with 22 strikeouts for Double-A San Antonio.
Outfielder Reymond Fuentes, also 22, could be a player the Padres opt to move — alone or in a package — to get an arm. Fuentes is hitting .332 at San Antonio. He’s got a .419 on-base percentage and 23 steals.
These two alone might not get you the arm you need. Together? It’s a start.
Stay tuned. It could be an interesting month for the Padres.
– Corey Brock
Former Angels starter Dan Haren, who was bought out of his 2013 option for $3.5 million, is drawing heavy interest from several teams, most of them residing in the East coast.
Haren’s most aggressive suitor thus far, according to a person with knowledge of his free agency: The Red Sox. The Nationals, Orioles, White Sox, Padres and Blue Jays are among other clubs that have expressed interest. Haren, however, is said to be in no hurry to sign, preferring to let a lot of the smoke clear before making his decision.
The Angels recently checked in on Haren, but nothing had changed from a negotiating standpoint. After trading for Tommy Hanson, only one spot is left in their rotation — and their desire to resign Zack Greinke remains. If Greinke’s price tag reaches $150 million, as has been reported, the Angels will go with a much cheaper free-agent starter and sign at least one more upper-tier reliever, joining Ryan Madson.
Haren, who wants to keep pitching in Southern California, could make sense given his price tag, track record and familiarity. For now, however, a return remains unlikely.
Haren is coming off his first rough season in quite a while, going 12-13 with a 4.33 ERA, a stint on the disabled list with lower back problems and a drop in velocity. From 2005-11, though, he was one of baseball’s most consistent starters, winning 101 games, posting a 3.49 ERA and averaging 226 innings per season.
The Angels also had the framework of a deal in place with the Cubs in early November, sending Haren to Chicago for closer Carlos Marmol. In it, an industry source said, the Cubs were slated to take on most of Haren’s salary and Marmol’s. But according to ESPN.com’s Buster Olney, the Cubs backed out due to concerns over Haren’s hip — not his back.
– Alden Gonzalez