Results tagged ‘ Prince Fielder ’
New Cubs manager Dale Sveum has made it no secret about how much he likes Prince Fielder. Could the free agent slugger call Wrigley Field his home? Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com and Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com both think the Cubs are in the mix in the bidding for Fielder. However, Fielder, 27, and his agent, Scott Boras, are reportedly looking for a 10-year deal close to the $254 million that Albert Pujols received from the Angels. That kind of contract does not appear to fit what Theo Epstein and Jed Hoyer have said they want to do in Chicago. The Blue Jays and Mariners also are reportedly interested in Fielder, who is a career .282 hitter, and has averaged 38 homers over the last six years. Fielder has a .298 average at Wrigley Field with 11 home runs and 15 doubles.
The Cubs’ obligations payroll-wise beyond 2012 include $38 million for two more years to Alfonso Soriano and $9.8 million owed Carlos Marmol in 2013. If the Cubs could get Fielder to defer money the way in the first year of his deal the Brewers did with Aramis Ramirez’s contract, it would might be possible.
— Carrie Muskat
The Cubs have been linked to free agents Albert Pujols and Prince Fielder. GM Jed Hoyer would not comment specifically on the two first basemen when asked Wednesday.
“As I’ve stated in the past, we’re a major market team and we’re going to be involved across the spectrum,” Hoyer said. “I’m not going to address whether we’re on or off individual players other than the fact that we’re in contact with a lot of teams and a lot of agents and we’re doing everything we can to improve the team for next year and the future.”
What is not a secret is that Hoyer has been in contact with Kerry Wood’s agent, Pat Rooney, regarding a new deal for the free agent pitcher for 2012.
“We’d love to bring Kerry back,” Hoyer said. “He had a great year last year and he’s an excellent ambassador for the Cubs. The stated goal of bringing Kerry back has been made very clear.”
— Carrie Muskat
FOX Sports cites “Major League sources” saying the Cubs are showing interest in free agents Albert Pujols and Prince Fielder. The report says the Cubs are inquiring about both because there is a small amount of sluggers available in future free agent markets and because of the new restrictions on spending in the Draft under the new CBA.
New Cubs execs Theo Epstein and Jed Hoyer are trying to rebuild the team, but the reality is that Pujols and Fielder don’t seem to fit their goal to build “a foundation of sustained success.” When Epstein took over the Red Sox prior to the 2003 season, he did sign David Ortiz, but got him for $1.25 million. Pujols and Fielder are looking for long-term mega deals. Those are the kind of deals (ex. Alfonso Soriano, Carlos Zambrano) the Cubs are trying to avoid. Plus, Epstein’s philosophy is to pay for future performance, not past.
— Carrie Muskat
The free-agent market has definitely thinned, now that less than one month remains before the start of Spring Training. But as of Friday, several big names remained in the veteran corner outfielder/designated hitter category.
That may change soon.
The Rays, an industry source told MLB.com’s Jesse Sanchez, are nearing a one-year deal with Johnny Damon and are also in the mix for his former Red Sox teammate, Manny Ramirez.
But Tampa Bay may have some competition for Ramirez’s services, since sources told MLB.com’s T.R. Sullivan that the Rangers and Angels are also interested. Sullivan notes that it’s the Rangers and Rays that are the front-runners at this point, with the Angels seemingly lagging behind.
Enrique Rojas of ESPNDeportes.com heard from sources that Vladimir Guerrero, like Ramirez and Damon, could also be close to signing, saying the Orioles and Angels have interest. The Rangers, Sullivan added, also haven’t closed the door on bringing back Guerrero.
The problem is the soon-to-be-36-year-old — coming off a season in which he batted .300
with 29 homers and 115 RBIs as Texas’ full-time DH — may still be
trying to land an everyday job.
Here’s more from around the league…
* The Red Sox were trying to reel in free-agent closer Rafael Soriano
on a lucrative one-year contract, according to Jon Heyman of SI.com and
MLB Network. If they would have succeeded in that, they could’ve dealt
current closer Jonathan Papelbon to the Athletics or White Sox. Boston also made Yankees closer Mariano Rivera an offer this offseason, so there’s seemingly concern in Beantown about Papelbon.
* When Prince Fielder hits free agency at the end of the 2011
season, the slugging first baseman expects to yield a contract of at least eight
years and for about $200 million, Heyman added.
* The Reds have been all about locking up their own players this
offseason, and they still may not be done. Regarding unsigned starter
Edinson Volquez, Reds general manager Walt Jocketty told the Cincinnati
Enquirer, “We’re looking at both — one-year and multi-year” deals.
Volquez, arbitration-eligible for the first time, made $445,000 in 2010. Bronson
Arroyo, Jay Bruce, Johnny Cueto and Joey Votto have all inked
multi-year deals with the Reds this offseason.
* The Cardinals signed veteran infielder Nick Punto
to a one-year contract. The 33-year-old switch-hitter will serve as a
utility infielder and an insurance policy at third base for David Freese.
* The Mariners reduced the signing bonus of Dominican shortstop Esteilon Peguero, from $2.9 million to $1.1 million, according to Baseball America.
— Alden Gonzalez
One of the annual events at the Winter Meetings has become the State of Scott Boras address. It usually isn’t planned ahead, it just sort of happens. Today, the circumstances were ripe. Boras was at the press conference announcing the signing of Carlos Pena with the Cubs, so the assembled reporters gathered with him in the hall once that was over.
Boras discussed the latest on free agent clients Adrian Beltre, Magglio Ordonez and Rafael Soriano, while also talking about Prince Fielder’s uncertain future, and a lot more. Here is a sampling.
Beltre: “Well that’s a very busy market for Adrian. We’re in the middle of lot of negotiations with a lot of teams for him and they’re ongoing. “
The Angels are a team that could be a fit for Beltre, and Boras maintains — contrary to recent reports — that his client still has interest in the Oakland Athletics.
Magglio:”Actually we had a workout today with Magglio where he got a chance to illustrate where his baseball abilities were at, just to show he’s 100 percent. That took place this morning. Teams got to see that. I really don’t know [how many teams] because I haven’t gotten the report. I know that Detroit was there for sure.”
The Red Sox are a team that could compete with the Tigers for the services of Magglio Ordonez.
Soriano: “The closer market is always an interesting one in the sense that teams never ever want anyone to know that they’re interested in a closer. Mainly because there are few closers who are the sure 90 percent closers available and they never get to free agency. It’s almost like a dynamic where you don’t want anyone to know in your organization that the candidates you have to be a closer are not efficient for the role because you may end up with them. unlike starters, because there are five of them. Clubs I think are very cautious about interest in closers because it has such an impact on those who may have to do the job if they in fact don’t get the contract with the closer that’s a free agent.”
Prince: “I can’t really address that. I think that, in each situation, a general manager has got to look at the probability and whether the ownership wants the player to stay vs. the prospects and/or draft picks they may get. In each scenario, it really depends on the judgments of the variables given to the general manager. sometimes ownership gets to reflect on what goes on in the marketlplace and they may evaluate their positions on what they want to do with their existing players. We’ve certainly, had discussions last year. Doug and I met at the GM Meetings. We continue to talk. Whether mark and I are going to sit down, I don’t know. Doug and I are going to have meetings further about prince’s short term and potentially long-term situation.”
Fielder is eligible for free agency at the end of the season and Adrian Gonzalez, who was just traded to the Red Sox, is likely to sign a contract worth roughly $154 million over seven years.
Strasburg: He began his rehab oh, a month and a half, two months ago. Working out every day. Our Sports fitness people are working with him daily. He’s well into … the doctors say it’s obviously going to be the middle of next year before he’s going to be looking to get back to things.
There was a bit of controversy about Strasburg’s mechanics following the revelation he had to have surgery.
“I think we’re going to leave that to the Washington Nationals. There’s a lot of things that have been said. But we’ve been through the Tommy John situation with a whole host of pitchers in my career. To suggest when you’re a young thrower with all that ability, to determine when that occurred or why that occurred … certainly the medical staff has, with the certainty that many prognosticators have placed out there, they’re not quite so certain that’s the case.”
Manny Ramirez: “Manny has certainly told me we’re out looking for a one-year contract. But remember, too, that this is Manny Ramirez. We’re talking about a contract that certainly will have incentives in it. But I think there are short-term contracts for players, and there are short-term contracts for players who have a historical history of being a great player like Manny. We found out Manny had some medical maladies that had to be surgically repaired in the offseason, that we did not know about and that he played with during the season. I think it had a pretty big impact on his performance. He’s ready to go. he’s a guy that’s got his full health. Obviously, he’s looking for a situation that allows him to DH and play a bit, that he really thinks will aid him to stay in the batter’s box.”
Carlos Beltran: “Carlos is doing well. obviously having gone through his surgery early in the season last year helped him. His return to play, he’s doing fine. He’s working out with a conditioning plan daily. His plan right now is to be a New York met. He has a no trade clause. If anything were brought to him, I think it would depend on what the situation were. I would say certainly now that his expectation would be to be a Met next year.”
The Red Sox have had least had mild discussions with the Mets about Beltran.
“He has a no-trade clause, so whatever decisions that he and Jessica make are going to be around the idea that any other information will come forward. I can only say that’s something the Mets would have to bring to Carlos. To date, Carlos’ plan is to be a Met, because he does control whether he is a Met or not. For those reasons, unless something unforeseen happens, I would say he will be a Met.”
Johnny Damon: “I think Johnny’s open to playing on winning teams. He definitely wants to be a part of an organziation that’s got a chance to do something. I think any club that he feels has a chance to win, he’d be interested in.”
— Ian Browne
He isn’t Adam Dunn or Prince Fielder — don’t give up hope on those guys, either, though — but Carlos Delgado is still out there, without a team, and wants to play. Contending teams are reportedly interested.
In need of a starter for Saturday’s game, Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. cryptically said Tuesday: “I think we we know exactly what we’re going to do.” Perhaps a starter, like Ben Sheets, Dan Haren, Jeremy Guthrie or Roy Oswalt is headed to Philadelphia? The club optioned Kyle Kendrick to the Minor Leagues that same day, and later that night, veteran Jamie Moyer sustained an injury that will likely put him on the disabled list, so starting pitching is needed in Philly.