Results tagged ‘ Reds ’
The Reds and catcher Devin Mesoraco have agreed to a four-year contract on Monday, MLB.com learned from two sources. Mesoraco has already taken his physical and will sign the deal later today and have a media availability.
Terms aren’t known just yet but the deal would cover all three arbitration years and one year of free agent eligiblity.
The club has not announced a deal, but it’s worth $28 million.
Todd Frazier and Aroldis Chapman remain still arbitration eligible for the Reds.
MLB Trade Rumors is reporting that the Reds and catcher Devin Mesoraco are nearing an agreement on a multi-year contract extension that would avoid arbitration.
Mesoraco is first-year arbitration eligible and filed for $3.6 million while the Reds offered $2.45 million. He made $525,000 last season.
“My agent came back to me a couple of times. It’s more in his hands,” Mesoraco told me during Reds Caravan last week.
Mesoraco is open to a multi-year contract and it was something general manager Walt Jocketty said had been discussed on the day salary figures were exchanged.
“Definitely, no doubt,” Mesoraco said of his desire for a multi-year deal. “I definitely enjoy it here. It’s a perfect city for me. Team-wise, I feel as comfortable as I could possibly feel.”
— Mark Sheldon
Though it seems to be nothing more than speculation at this point, FOX Sports’ Jon Morosi writes that there is a “decent chance” the Rays will trade second baseman Ben Zobrist at some point this offseason.
On the surface, trading Zobrist would certainly make sense for a Rays team that has already had a busy offseason. The versatile infielder is set to turn 34 years old in May and is due to make $7.5 million in 2015 before hitting the free agent market after the season. A number of teams would likely be interested in Zobrist, something that could lead to the Rays moving him this offseason before watching him walk away in free agency next winter.
While nothing has materialized quite yet, Morosi lists the Mets, Nationals, Mariners, Rangers, Cubs, Reds, and Twins as potential fits for Zobrist. Again, there is nothing concrete to report on this front as of right now, but it simply seems to be the next logical step for the Rays and is something worth monitoring into the New Year.
— Paul Casella
If the Reds would like to sign ace Johnny Cueto to a contract extension, they have a deadline of Opening Day to get it done. Otherwise, Cueto and his agent will stop negotiations and revisit it after the season — when Cueto is a free agent.
“I told the Reds that at the meeting we had during the Winter Meetings,” Cueto’s agent, Bryce Dixon, told MLB.com on Tuesday. “Nothing has changed. It’s not something that’s adversarial. Johnny said to me at the end of the season ‘to work something out but if not, I don’t want to the guy messing with contracts in the middle of a season.’
“His rationale is there is plenty of time to get worked out. If not, no hard feelings.”
Reds general manager Walt Jocketty was not available for comment.
Cueto, 28, will make $10 million in 2015 – the option year of his contract – and will become a free agent for the first time after the season if he is not signed by Cincinnati.
— Mark Sheldon
The Tigers have acquired right-hander Alfredo Simon from the Reds in exchange for infielder Eugenio Suarez and Minor League pitcher Jonathon Crawford.
Simon fills the void in the Tigers’ rotation left by the trade of Rick Porcello to Boston for outfielder Yoenis Cespedes. Simon, 33, was 15-10 with a 3.44 ERA over 32 starts in 2014. He had a great first half of the season, going 12-3 with a 2.70 ERA in 18 starts to earn his first All-Star selection.
Crawford, 23, was the 20th overall pick in the 2013 First-Year Player Draft. He spent the 2014 season with Class-A West Michigan, going 8-3 with a 2.85 ERA in 23 starts.
Suarez, 23, made his big league debut this year and played 85 games with Detroit, mainly at shortstop. He can also play third base. Suarez hit .242 with four home runs and 23 RBIs with the Tigers.
“We are excited to be acquiring two players we think will have a positive impact on our organization for years to come,” Reds president of baseball operations Walt Jocketty said in a statement.
The Marlins made another big move at the Winter Meetings on Thursday, acquiring right-hander Mat Latos from the Reds in exchange for right-hander Anthony DeSclafani and catching prospect Chad Wallach.
Latos has been dependable when healthy, but is coming off an injury-shortened season in which he made a career-low 16 starts due to right elbow and left knee issues. Still, he’s won 14 games in three of the last five years and pitched over 200 innings in both 2012 and ’13. The 27-year-old will be a free agent after next season.
It’s the second major trade in a many days for Miami. The club completed a seven-player blockbuster with the Dodgers on Wednesday which netted second baseman Dee Gordon, starter Dan Haren and shortstop Miguel Rojas.
As for the Reds, they moved their second starter of the day. The club previously traded Alfredo Simon to the Tigers for pitching prospect Jonathon Crawford, a first-round pick in the 2013 Draft, and infielder Eugenio Suarez.
DeSclafani, 24, made his Major League debut in 2014, appearing in 13 games (five starts) with Miami. He’s considered the Marlins’ No. 2 overall prospect, according to MLB.com.
Wallach, 23, was Miami’s fifth-round pick in the 2013 Draft. He’s the son of former All-Star and current Dodgers bench coach Tim Wallach.
The Reds entered this offseason knowing that they might have to deal one of their starting pitchers in order to address their other needs. As far as who’s available, however, Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reports that the club is trying to steer inquiring teams toward Mat Latos, Mike Leake or Alfredo Simon instead of staff ace Johnny Cueto.
Cueto is set to make $10 million in his option year next season, while Latos, Leake and Simon are all third-year arbitration eligible. In other words, all four starters are set to become free agents following next season. Along with dealing with those impending free agencies, the Reds also need to free up some payroll to address their void in left field.
“I hope not, but we may. I’m still hoping that something works out where we don’t have to,” Reds general manager Walt Jocketty said regarding the possibility of trading a starter. “I don’t think that’s going to happen. We’re still going to have to move some payroll in order to do anything.”
Despite knowing a trade may be inevitable, the Reds are likely going to see what they can get in return for Latos, Leake or Simon before offering up Cueto. That said, the 20-game winner from a year ago would obviously bring back the most substantial return.
— Paul Casella
There’s been widespread speculation this offseason that the Reds would likely need to trade away one of their four starting pitchers entering the final year of their contracts in order to free up some payroll. What has not been discussed — but is apparently a possibility, according to MLB.com’s Joe Frisaro — is moving shutdown closer Aroldis Chapman.
Though purely speculation at this point, Frisaro discusses the Marlins as a potential fit for the fireball-throwing left-hander. Chapman is projected by MLBTradeRumors.com to make $8.3 million in arbitration for next season and then has another year of arbitration eligibility before potentially hitting the free agent market following the 2016 season.
All things considered, it would certainly take a significant haul to land the 26-year-old Chapman, who is already regarded as one of the top closers in the game and is under team control — at an afforadable rate, no less — for the next two years.
The more likely scenario for the Reds is moving one of their starting pitchers. Staff ace Johnny Cueto is set to make $10 million in his option year next season, while Mat Latos, Mike Leake and Alfredo Simon are all third-year arbitration eligible. In other words, all four of those starters will be free agents following the 2015 season.
The Reds remain in the market for a left fielder, though it’s becoming increasingly likely that they will need to move at least one pitcher in order to free up enough payroll to either trade for or sign a player to fill that void. The four starters mentioned above make the most sense, but if the club ultimately ends up in firesale mode this offseason, Chapman’s name could enter the discussions.
— Paul Casella
A source told MLB.com at the Winter Meetings on Monday that the Reds have interest in signing veteran free agent reliever John Axford. No deal is close as of yet and the right-hander is also believed to be drawing interest from four other clubs.
Last season for Indians and Pirates, Axford was 2-4 with a 3.95 ERA in 62 appearances. He also pitched for the Cardinals and Brewers during his career. At Milwaukee, he was the club’s closer and saved a career-high 46 games in 2011 but ran into some struggles over the following two seasons and was traded to St. Louis.
Axford, who turns 32 on April 1, was signed by Cleveland to a one-year, $4.5 million deal last winter with the hopes he could regain his form as an elite closer. He had 10 saves, but early-season struggles led him to be removed from the role in May. Pittsburgh claimed him off of waivers in August.
— Mark Sheldon
The latest free agent outfielder to sign a contract — Torii Hunter — is having a press conference in Minneapolis as I type this blog entry. Hunter, 39, was signed to a one-year, $10.5 million contract to return to the Twins. I wrote last week that Hunter would have been a good fit for the Reds. Even though Cincinnati was not in the running, Reds general manager Walt Jocketty apparently was thinking the same thing.
“We had a lot of interest in Hunter,” Jocketty said on Wednesday. “He would have been a kind of dual role for us – leadership in the clubhouse and his abilities on the field. That was one of our targeted guys.”
The search will continue for a starting left fielder.
“We’re still hopeful of getting something done,” Jocketty said.
To this point, there hasn’t been progress towards signing two other target free agents, Nori Aoki and Michael Morse.
“Nothing yet,” Jocketty said.
Tuesday’s trade of Chris Heisey to the Dodgers added to glut of outfielders in Chavez Ravine.
“I think they see a role for him there, eventually,” Jocketty said. “We wanted to make sure we got some quality in return. We picked a good one, we think, with [pitcher Matt] Magill.”
Matt Kemp, Andre Ethier and Carl Crawford have been viewed as tradeable for Los Angeles. Don’t expect the Heisey deal to be a precursor to another trade between the Reds and Dodgers. Kemp is owed $107 million over the next five years. Crawford will make $62.25 million over the next three years and Ethier is due has $56 million over the next three seasons.
“That’s too expensive,” Jocketty said.
— Mark Sheldon