Results tagged ‘ Robinson Cano ’
The Mariners and Robinson Cano may not be done after all. In fact, it appears they’re closer than ever.
After it was reported early Friday morning that talks had broken down when Cano’s agent Jay-Z demanded a larger contract than the Mariners were prepared to offer, multiple reports have surfaced recently that the talks are back on and the two sides have agreed to a 10-year, $240-million contract. Enrique Rojas reports the physical will be Monday.
The New York Daily News reported Friday morning that the Mariners were willing to offer Cano the $200 million contract he was seeking (and that the Yankees have said they would not agree to) but when Cano and agent Jay-Z arrived in Seattle, the team was upset at Jay-Z’s ask for a 10-year, $252 million contract.
Still, it appears the two sides have continued talks and have found some middle ground.
– Joey Nowak
Robinson Cano‘s serious talks with the Mariners about going to Seattle have reportedly ended after a breakdown in a Thursday meeting, according to the New York Daily News.
According to a report, talks have broken down between the two sides after it had been reported that Seattle was making a serious push for the free agent second baseman.
Cano has been said to be seeking a deal in the ballpark of eight years and $200 million, and there had been reports the Mariners would go as high as nine years and $225 million, according to the Daily News. But rapper Jay-Z, also Cano’s agent, reportedly asked for a 10-year deal and $252 million in Thursday’s meetings, and the conversations ended there.
That deal is the same amount Alex Rodriguez commanded when he left Seattle for Texas, and the notion reportedly caused Mariners chairman Howard Lincoln to “explode,” according to the report.
“It doesn’t look like we’re getting him,” a Mariners source told the Daily News.
– Joey Nowak
After Tuesday’s explosion of deals, the Hot Stove returned to a light simmer on Wednesday, but there still was plenty of news.
One of the most significant topics was the posting system that governs how Japanese players get from Nippon Professional Baseball to the Major Leagues. The two sides have been working on a new agreement throughout the offseason, which has been holding up the bidding for one of the winter’s hottest commodities, pitcher Masahiro Tanaka.
However, a deal appears to be near, with Japanese media outlet Sanspo reporting Wednesday that the NPB is expected to accept a proposal limiting posting fees to $20 million. Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports later added that if multiple teams submit the maximum bid, the player then could negotiate with all of those clubs.
Elsewhere on the international front, our Jesse Sanchez writes about the next wave of Cuban players set to follow recent signings such as Jose Abreu and Alexander Guerrero to the Majors. One of those players, slick-fielding 23-year-old shortstop Erisbel Arruebarruena, will audition for teams at a showcase this weekend at the Yankees’ facility in the Dominican Republic, according to Andy Martino of the New York Daily News. Martino writes that the Mets will be among those teams with scouts in attendance.
In other news from around the league:
- In the wake of the Yankees signing Jacoby Ellsbury and Brian McCann to contracts totalling $238 million, our Bryan Hoch looks at whether free agent Robinson Cano is still a fit in the Bronx. If Cano doesn’t return, the Yankees have an insurance policy in Kelly Johnson, with Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com and MLB Network reporting that the two sides have agreed on a one-year deal for about $3 million.
- One other team rumored to be pursuing Cano is the Mariners, but general manager Jack Zduriencik wouldn’t confirm that interest.
- Seattle also is among the teams that could enter the fray to acquire Rays ace left-hander David Price. That market soon will intensify, according to Passan, who names the Mariners, Dodgers, Angels, Pirates, Rangers, D-backs and Blue Jays as likely contenders. While Tampa Bay doesn’t need to trade Price, doing so now probably would earn it the best possible return, given that Price has two seasons left before free agency. Several baseball officials who talked to Passan named the Mariners as a frontrunner to land Price, perhaps by offering a package headlined by highly touted pitching prospect Taijuan Walker.
- Max Scherzer is another Cy Young Award winner who has been the subject of trade rumors this offseason, but Detroit could be ready to pursue a contract extension instead. Our Jason Beck also addresses whether the Tigers could make a run at free-agent outfielder Shin-Soo Choo.
- With Ellsbury gone, our Ian Browne discusses what the Red Sox will do to fill his spot in center field next season.
- The Mets are “deep in talks” with free-agent outfielder Curtis Granderson, reports our Anthony DiComo.
- Cubs pitcher Jeff Samardzija has been discussed as a trade target this offseason, but Theo Epstein said the right-hander likely will be in the team’s Opening Day rotation, with a long-term deal a possibility.
- The Cubs also agreed to a one-year deal with left-handed reliever Wesley Wright, who was non-tendered by the Rays on Monday.
- Paul Konerko has decided to return to the White Sox for one more season, filling a part-time role in his 16th year with the club. He will make $1.5 million, plus $1 million deferred until 2021.
- The Rockies are getting close to a two-year deal with free-agent first baseman Justin Morneau, who is expected to platoon with the right-handed Wilin Rosario. Morneau likely will get $12.5 million, plus a mutual option for 2016.
- The Reds might not be as likely to trade second baseman Brandon Phillips as was reported earlier in the offseason, especially in light of comments general manager Walt Jocketty made on Wednesday.
- With A.J. Pierzynski among the catchers who have gone off the board recently, the Rangers continue to look for a backup to pair with Geovany Soto. Kurt Suzuki is one candidate.
– Andrew Simon
While the dust is still settling from the Yankees’ blockbuster signing of outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury to a seven-year, $153 million deal, the club is also close to reaching an agreement with infielder Kelly Johnson, according to the New York Post.
The newspaper reported that Johnson’s deal with the Yankees will be worth between $2.75 million and $3 million. Johnson batted .235 with 16 home runs and 52 RBIs in 118 games last season for the Rays. He provides another option at second base in case Robinson Cano does not return, but projects better as a depth option at multiple positions.
Omar Infante has also received interest from the Yankees as an alternative to Cano, as the club is holding firm to their offer of a seven-year deal in the range of $160 to $170 million.
– Bryan Hoch
The number that Robinson Cano is seeking for his newest contract continues to drop in media reports, but that doesn’t necessarily mean he and the Yankees are any closer on a deal. Yahoo!‘s Jeff Passan reports that the Yankees “have no plans” to match the nine-year, $252-million deal that Cano is looking for.
“They are not going to go to $200 million,” one baseball executive told Passan. “Period.”
According to Passan, the Yankees are sticking to their seven-year, $160-million offer with a give-or-take of about $15 million. Passan says New York remains in contention for Jacoby Ellsbury, Shin-Soo Choo, Omar Infante and Joe Nathan, among others.
Other teams mentioned as possibly suitors for Cano: Mets, Tigers, Dodgers, Angels, Nationals and Mariners.
– Joey Nowak
Two of Robinson Cano’s representatives met on Tuesday with Yankees president Randy Levine and general manager Brian Cashman, according to a report by the Associated Press. Despite the meeting, however, the two sides apparently remain very far apart, according to the report’s source, who spoke on the condition of anonymity.
Brodie Van Wagenen and Juan Perez of CAA Baseball met with the Yankees brass on Tuesday — and may meet again on Wednesday. Cano, himself, did not attend the meeting.
Cano’s camp remains set, for the time being anyways, on asking for the 10-year, $310 million contract that Cano said he would seek this offseason. The Yankees have said they won’t be offering up that caliber deal, but Tuesday’s meeting seems to indicate that the two sides are at least making progress.
The Rangers officially introduced Prince Fielder on Monday, five days after acquiring the slugging first baseman from the Tigers for Ian Kinsler.
The move likely doesn’t signify the end of the club’s offseason maneuvering, however. Our T.R. Sullivan writes that while the Rangers are not expected to go after free-agent second baseman Robinson Cano, they are looking to add another impact bat to their lineup, either at the top or in the middle.
One of those available big bats belongs to free-agent outfielder Shin-Soo Choo. Speaking of Choo, our Mark Sheldon explores the question of whether the Reds could bring him back to Cincinnati, meeting his significant contract demands.
In other news from around the league:
- Veteran right-handed pitcher Dan Haren officially came off the board on Monday, when the Dodgers announced his one-year contract.
- After adding a center fielder (Peter Bourjos) and a shortstop (Jhonny Peralta) over the past week, Cardinals general manager John Mozeliak didn’t close the door on his offseason shuffling but added that, “if the clock stopped today, we’d be pretty happy with our club.”
- The Yankees’ signing of free-agent catcher Brian McCann signals the club’s aggressive intentions this offseason after falling short of the playoffs in 2013, writes MLB.com columnist Mike Bauman. Along those lines, a move for free-agent outfielder Carlos Beltran could be on the way.
- Blue Jays general manager Alex Anthopoulos addressed his team’s search for a starting pitcher, most notably the Cubs’ Jeff Samardzija.
- Veteran righty A.J. Burnett hasn’t decided if he will pitch in 2014, but if he does, the market could push him out of the Pirates’ price range.
- The Tigers and free-agent reliever Brian Wilson are in “serious” negotiations, a source has told The Detroit News. It appears that Wilson, and not Joe Nathan, is Detroit’s primary target to fill its closer role.
- Elsewhere in the American League Central, The Kansas City Star reported that the Royals are open to dealing from their bullpen depth, especially righty Aaron Crow or lefty Tim Collins.
- There were a few minor trades executed on Monday, with the Padres swinging a three-player deal with the Pirates and swapping pitchers with the Orioles, while the A’s picked up a left-hander from the Nationals. The Pirates also cleared 40-man roster space by designating first baseman-outfielder Garrett Jones for assignment.
- Our Doug Miller looks at what’s left on the free-agent market in The Week Ahead.
- The Marlins are looking into signing catcher Dioner Navarro and pitcher Phil Hughes, according to the Miami Herald.
– Andrew Simon
The Yankees stole the Hot Stove headlines on Saturday, when they filled their void at catcher by agreeing to a five-year contract with free agent Brian McCann. In a deal first reported by The Dallas Morning News, New York committed to paying McCann $85 million, with a $15 million vesting option for 2019.
The Yankees clearly needed more offense behind the plate, after their catchers combined for a .587 OPS last season. McCann comes in with seven All-Star appearances, five Silver Slugger Awards and a career .823 OPS.
In other news from around the league:
- The Cardinals apparently have found their shortstop, with ESPN’s Jerry Crasnick breaking the news that St. Louis is close to an agreement with free agent Jhonny Peralta.
- The Angels will bolster their bullpen by signing free-agent right-hander Joe Smith to a three-year contract worth roughly $15 million.
- Free-agent right-hander Colby Lewis, who missed the 2013 season due to injury, re-signed with the Rangers on a one-year Minor League deal that includes an invitation to Major League camp. Lewis went 32-29 with a 3.93 ERA over 80 starts with Texas from 2010-12 but hasn’t pitched in the Majors since July of ‘12.
- In his morning (Insider-only) column, ESPN’s Buster Olney said some executives, “see the Mariners as the great sleeping giant in baseball,” because of their potential financial clout, lack of long-term contract commitments outside of Felix Hernandez, and solid stable of young players. Olney wonders if the Mariners could go after top free agents Robinson Cano and Jacoby Ellsbury.
- The Cubs have generated a lot of interest in right-hander Jeff Samardzija, with the Blue Jays one of those trying to pry him away, according to Bruce Levine of ESPN Chicago and ESPN Radio 1000.
- There was speculation on Friday that Cano was in Detroit to visit the Tigers. A deal between the two parties would seem to be a longshot considering the club just acquired Ian Kinsler, as FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal tweeted.
- The market for free-agent closers is locked in a “staring contest,” tweets FOX Sports’ Jon Morosi.
– Andrew Simon
Mets owner Jeff Wilpon, general manager Sandy Alderson and assistant GM John Ricco dined Monday evening with representatives for free agent second baseman Robinson Cano, including the rapper Jay-Z, according to the New York Post. A Mets spokesman declined comment on the report.
The Post was first to report that agents Jay-Z, Brodie Van Wagenen and Juan Perez initiated a meeting with Mets executives at a Manhattan hotel. Cano, according to the report, did not attend.
The meeting took place less than a week after Alderson publicly said he would “probably not” sign any players to nine-figure contracts this winter, making the timing somewhat curious. Cano, whose initial asking price from the Yankees was reportedly 10 years and $310 million, is a sure bet to sign the richest contract of any free agent this winter, well beyond the range of what Alderson has indicated he is willing to offer.
When asked last week if he would ink any player to a nine-figure contract this offseason, Alderson referred to the eight-year, $138-million contract third baseman David Wright signed last winter.
“We’ve been in that stratosphere once recently with David Wright,” Alderson said. “Those were special circumstances. I think it would be difficult to duplicate that again — not from a financial standpoint, just in terms of team-building. I think it’s difficult to concentrate those kinds of resources into very few players. It’s not really the way you build a quality, sustainable, winning team, I don’t think.”
Over his first three offseasons as Mets GM, Alderson has not given out a free agent contract larger than Frank Francisco’s recently-expired two-year, $12-million pact.
Cano, 31, hit .314 with 27 home runs this season for the Yankees, his fifth consecutive year with at least a .300 batting average and 25 homers. He recently joined on with Jay-Z’s new Roc Nation sports agency, which is partnered with Van Wagenen’s Creative Artists Agency.
The Mets’ incumbent second baseman, Daniel Murphy, hit .286 with 13 home runs this season. He is arbitration-eligible for the second time this winter, and should receive a contract of around $5 million.
Both outfielder Curtis Granderson and catcher Brian McCann have rejected their teams’ qualifying offers, and will become free agents.
MLB.com‘s Mark Bowman has the scoop here on McCann turning down the Braves’ qualifying offer, while the New York Post‘s Joel Sherman has the details on the expectation that Granderson will turn down the Yankees’.
According to Sherman, Granderson believes he can find a multi-year deal and the Yankees are prepared to look elsewhere — possibly at Carlos Beltran.
If McCann and/or Granderson sign with anyone but the Braves and Yankees, respectively, those clubs will receive a compensatory draft pick between the first and second rounds of next year’s Draft.
Sherman also reported that Robinson Cano and Hiroki Kuroda are both expected to reject the Yankees’ $14.1 million qualifying offer at today’s deadline.
Bowman says that although McCann could return to his hometown of Atlanta, he is more likely to sign with a team like the Yankees, Rangers or Red Sox.
– Joey Nowak