Results tagged ‘ Scott Boras ’
-The Rangers signed left-hander Martin Perez to a four-year contract through 2017 with club options for 2018, 2019 and 2020. The Rangers’ Rookie of the Year, who will turn 23 in April, was already under team control through the 2018 season, so his long-term extension essentially just buys out his arbitration-eligible years and, if all three options are picked up, delays him from entering free agency another two years.
-The Cubs officially announced the hiring of new manager Rick Renteria, the former Padres bench coach. Renteria and the Cubs agreed to a three-year deal with club options for 2017 and 2018.
-The Dodgers have talked with manager Don Mattingly about a contract extension, according to MLB.com’s Ken Gurnick, but no deal is imminent. Mattingly is under contract for next season because a club option vested when Los Angeles advanced to the National League Championship Series.
-Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports wrote that it would make sense for outfielder Curtis Granderson to decline the Yankees’ $14.1 million qualifying offer and explore the free agent market, drawing a comparison to Nick Swisher, who cashed in on the open market last winter. Rosenthal also noted on Twitter that the Yankees might have to pay more than $14.1 million to retain right-hander Hiroki Kuroda considering the threat that he could return to pitch in Japan.
-Agent Scott Boras appeared on ESPN writer Keith Law’s “Behind the Dish” podcast on Thursday to discuss several of his free agent clients. Boras described center fielder Jacoby Ellsbury as a “game-changer for a lot of franchises” and said Ellsbury and Shin-Soo Choo “have the ability to bat third in the lineup and they have the ability to lead off.”
-Boras said shortstop Stephen Drew “could really change the dynamic of the production” of seven or eight teams’ infield “by having that kind of power and that kind of defense on their team.” Boras also argued that switch-hitting first baseman/designated hitter Kendrys Morales has “a resume that, frankly, few hitters have in this market — the only one other than Cano who you can say has the ability to be a run producer in the middle of the lineup” due to his power from both sides of the plate.
Mets general manager Sandy Alderson and assistant GM John Ricco flew to Houston last week to have dinner with free-agent outfielder Michael Bourn and his agent, Scott Boras, according to the New York Post. But the meal “was more a getting-to-know-you session than a dollars-and-cents negotiation,” according to the newspaper, “at a time when the dollars and cents remain among the most significant hurdles in doing a deal.”
Alderson has made it clear to MLB.com and other media outlets that he is not willing to give up the Mets’ 11th overall draft pick as compensation in order to sign Bourn. So barring some successful 11th-hour rules appeal, it’s difficult to envision a deal happening — secret dinner or not.
UPDATE, WEDNESDAY, 10:46 A.M. PT: Madson finalized his contract with the Angels. It’s for a base salary of $3.5 million and can be valued up to $7 million. There’s up to $2.5 million based on time on the active roster, and $1 million for amount of games finished.
The Angels’ desire to upgrade the bullpen has seemingly taken them to Ryan Madson, who missed last season with Tommy John surgery but could be a big addition if he reverts back to form next year.
A source confirmed to MLB.com on Tuesday morning that the Angels and Madson are closing in on a one-year contract, following an initial report by CBSSports.com. Details are still being ironed out and the team hasn’t commented on the deal, which wouldn’t be official until Madson passes a physical.
A Madson-Angels pairing would in many ways be ideal, given Jerry Dipoto’s aspirations to add to the ‘pen but also balance that with the need for starting pitching, particularly Zack Greinke. Madson’s new contract is expected to be low in base salary and high in incentives, perhaps mainly based on games finished.
Madson, represented by Scott Boras, was born and raised in Southern California, currently lives in Temecula, Calif., and rehabbed from Tommy John surgery in Anaheim under the watch of Angels doctors. He had a base salary of $6 million during his lost season with the Reds in 2011, then declined his half of the $11 million mutual option for 2013 in order to get the $2.5 million buyout (the Reds would’ve declined their half anyway).
The Angels ranked fourth with a $159 million payroll last season, but cleared a lot of it by not resigning fan favorite Torii Hunter – quickly signed to a two-year, $26 million deal by the Tigers – paying $3.5 million to buy out Dan Haren’s option and sending more than 90 percent of Ervin Santana’s 2013 contract to the Royals.
With the remaining money, the Angels hope to fill two spots in their rotation and strengthen a bullpen that has totaled an American League-leading 47 blown saves the last two years.
If this deal gets finalized, and Madson bounces back, they can perhaps scratch that last part off their list.
– Alden Gonzalez
There is a CBSSports.com report that the Reds are in the serious stage of talks with free agent closer Ryan Madson, even saying that things were “heating up.”
A source told MLB.com on Tuesday night that the club has contacted almost every player on the market at one time or another. The source downplayed the report on Madson, saying it was unlikely unless Madson’s agent — Scott Boras — came well off the demand of a four-year, $44 million contract he had been reportedly wanted.
The Reds have maintained talks with the other free agent closer on the market — Francisco Cordero. Reds general manager Walt Jocketty said last week that the offer for Cordero would be for no more than one guaranteed year.
– Mark Sheldon
Contrary to swirling Internet rumors — and essentially a process of elimination — the Angels are “very, very unlikely” to sign free-agent closer Ryan Madson, general manager Jerry Dipoto told The Los Angeles Times on Thursday.
Dipoto’s statements are consistent with those he made from the Winter Meetings in early December, when he said he was looking for someone to “complement [current closer] Jordan Walden, not replace” him. But Madson’s market has dried up considerably as teams have used a deep talent pool of closers to fill their ninth-inning needs, and it took a major hit when the Red Sox traded with the Athletics for Andrew Bailey.
Madson’s present scenario, his Orange County, Calif., roots and the Angels’ bullpen struggles last season seemingly made the two a fit. But the Angels have already spent nearly $330 million on Albert Pujols and C.J. Wilson this offseason. And now, Dipoto has basically shot down his team’s chances of adding a proven closer like Madson.
“We’re trying to add depth, and in a perfect world, we’d like to find another guy to join Jordan Walden, Scott Downs and [offseason addition] LaTroy Hawkins to help with those last nine outs,” Dipoto told the LA Times. “But closer has never been the real priority.”
You probably shouldn’t completely rule it out just yet, though. Madson’s agent, Scott Boras, can be real creative and Dipoto has already displayed an element of surprise. If Madson is willing to take less money, and perhaps even sign a backloaded deal — like Pujols and Wilson did — maybe, just maybe there’s still a glimmer of hope.
As we’re experiencing with the Nationals and those links to Prince Fielder that don’t seem to go away, there are very few certainties in the free-agent market.
– Alden Gonzalez
The Konerko deal was somewhat surprising, considering talks between the two
sides seemed to be on life support just a day ago. But even after signing Adam
Dunn, Chicago was able to give Konerko a three-year, $37.5 million to form what looks like one of the best lineups in baseball for 2011.
With the Cubs, Pena is reunited with his old esteemed hitting coach, Rudy
Jaramillo, and receives what super-agent Scott Boras referred to as
a “pillow contract” — because, as Boras said, it’s comfortable for both
sides. That deal is for one year and $10 million, as Pena will try to rebuild
his worth after hitting 28 homers but batting below .200 in 2010.
Here’s more from around the league on Wednesday …
* No more fooling around for the Yankees. They’re ready to make ballyhooed
free-agent starter Cliff Lee a
preliminary offer of six years and between $140 and $150 million, MLB.com’s
Bryan Hoch confirmed. Will that be enough, considering reports of mystery teams
offering seven years?
* The Rangers met with Carl Crawford‘s agent, according to MLB.com’s T.R. Sullivan.
* Adrian Beltre is still open to signing with the Athletics, according
to Boras. Boras also said negotiations for his third-base client are moving
quickly, and that the Angels are a very possible suitor.
* There had been several reports that the Red Sox would be interested in
trading for Mets outfielder Carlos Beltran. But Boras, who represents
him, says Beltran plans
to be a Met in 2011. That’s significant, considering he has a no-trade clause.
* Five teams are seriously pursuing Zack Greinke while another three are
“on the periphery,” according to FOXSports.com. It still seems like
he’d be tough
to move, however. The Royals are specific with what they want: pitching and
* The Red Sox, according to CBS Sports, are zeroing in on Magglio Ordonez
to fill their outfield void, which would not be good news for Crawford. The Tigers are also checking.
* The Twins continue their
interest in resigning Carl Pavano, but they have competition. The
Brewers, according to MLB.com’s Adam McCalvy, have
also met with Pavano. The Nationals are another club known to have
* In less-heralded one-year deals on Wednesday, the Mariners signed
non-tendered designated hitter Jack Cust; the Royals brought
in outfielder Jeff Francoeur; the D-backs were reportedly on the verge of signing catcher Henry
Blanco and veteran lefty Mike Hampton (Minor League deal); the
Braves acquired non-tendered lefty reliever George Sherrill; and the Dodgers were close to bringing back Russell Martin.
– Alden Gonzalez
One of the annual events at the Winter Meetings has become the State of Scott Boras address. It usually isn’t planned ahead, it just sort of happens. Today, the circumstances were ripe. Boras was at the press conference announcing the signing of Carlos Pena with the Cubs, so the assembled reporters gathered with him in the hall once that was over.
Boras discussed the latest on free agent clients Adrian Beltre, Magglio Ordonez and Rafael Soriano, while also talking about Prince Fielder’s uncertain future, and a lot more. Here is a sampling.
Beltre: “Well that’s a very busy market for Adrian. We’re in the middle of lot of negotiations with a lot of teams for him and they’re ongoing. “
The Angels are a team that could be a fit for Beltre, and Boras maintains — contrary to recent reports — that his client still has interest in the Oakland Athletics.
Magglio:”Actually we had a workout today with Magglio where he got a chance to illustrate where his baseball abilities were at, just to show he’s 100 percent. That took place this morning. Teams got to see that. I really don’t know [how many teams] because I haven’t gotten the report. I know that Detroit was there for sure.”
The Red Sox are a team that could compete with the Tigers for the services of Magglio Ordonez.
Soriano: “The closer market is always an interesting one in the sense that teams never ever want anyone to know that they’re interested in a closer. Mainly because there are few closers who are the sure 90 percent closers available and they never get to free agency. It’s almost like a dynamic where you don’t want anyone to know in your organization that the candidates you have to be a closer are not efficient for the role because you may end up with them. unlike starters, because there are five of them. Clubs I think are very cautious about interest in closers because it has such an impact on those who may have to do the job if they in fact don’t get the contract with the closer that’s a free agent.”
Prince: “I can’t really address that. I think that, in each situation, a general manager has got to look at the probability and whether the ownership wants the player to stay vs. the prospects and/or draft picks they may get. In each scenario, it really depends on the judgments of the variables given to the general manager. sometimes ownership gets to reflect on what goes on in the marketlplace and they may evaluate their positions on what they want to do with their existing players. We’ve certainly, had discussions last year. Doug and I met at the GM Meetings. We continue to talk. Whether mark and I are going to sit down, I don’t know. Doug and I are going to have meetings further about prince’s short term and potentially long-term situation.”
Fielder is eligible for free agency at the end of the season and Adrian Gonzalez, who was just traded to the Red Sox, is likely to sign a contract worth roughly $154 million over seven years.
Strasburg: He began his rehab oh, a month and a half, two months ago. Working out every day. Our Sports fitness people are working with him daily. He’s well into … the doctors say it’s obviously going to be the middle of next year before he’s going to be looking to get back to things.
There was a bit of controversy about Strasburg’s mechanics following the revelation he had to have surgery.
“I think we’re going to leave that to the Washington Nationals. There’s a lot of things that have been said. But we’ve been through the Tommy John situation with a whole host of pitchers in my career. To suggest when you’re a young thrower with all that ability, to determine when that occurred or why that occurred … certainly the medical staff has, with the certainty that many prognosticators have placed out there, they’re not quite so certain that’s the case.”
Manny Ramirez: “Manny has certainly told me we’re out looking for a one-year contract. But remember, too, that this is Manny Ramirez. We’re talking about a contract that certainly will have incentives in it. But I think there are short-term contracts for players, and there are short-term contracts for players who have a historical history of being a great player like Manny. We found out Manny had some medical maladies that had to be surgically repaired in the offseason, that we did not know about and that he played with during the season. I think it had a pretty big impact on his performance. He’s ready to go. he’s a guy that’s got his full health. Obviously, he’s looking for a situation that allows him to DH and play a bit, that he really thinks will aid him to stay in the batter’s box.”
Carlos Beltran: “Carlos is doing well. obviously having gone through his surgery early in the season last year helped him. His return to play, he’s doing fine. He’s working out with a conditioning plan daily. His plan right now is to be a New York met. He has a no trade clause. If anything were brought to him, I think it would depend on what the situation were. I would say certainly now that his expectation would be to be a Met next year.”
The Red Sox have had least had mild discussions with the Mets about Beltran.
“He has a no-trade clause, so whatever decisions that he and Jessica make are going to be around the idea that any other information will come forward. I can only say that’s something the Mets would have to bring to Carlos. To date, Carlos’ plan is to be a Met, because he does control whether he is a Met or not. For those reasons, unless something unforeseen happens, I would say he will be a Met.”
Johnny Damon: “I think Johnny’s open to playing on winning teams. He definitely wants to be a part of an organziation that’s got a chance to do something. I think any club that he feels has a chance to win, he’d be interested in.”
– Ian Browne
Joe Crede’s agent Scott Boras says he talked to the third baseman right before coming to the Winter Meetings to get an update. Crede, who spent two seasons with the White Sox and one with the Twins, did not play last season. He’s battled back ailments. Says Boras: “He’s healthy, ready to go, and he’s going to continue his career. He’s ready to come back and play.”
– Carrie Muskat
The Angels apparently have let bygones be bygones and are meeting with agent Scott Boras, who numbers among his stable of clients Adrian Beltre, Rafael Soriano and Jayson Werth. Boras and the club reportedly had a falling out over the Mark Teixeira negotiations two winters ago, but the agent said he has met with general manager Tony Reagins and other club officials this winter, according to ESPNLos Angeles.com
Reagins confirmed that there have been discussions in the report by Mark Saxon, who suggests that Soriano is the Angels’ top target among the Boras clients to fill the void left by the trade of closer Brian Fuentes to the Twins. The Angels’ primary target continues to be outfielder Carl Crawford, but they could expand their payroll to add Soriano as well. – Lyle Spencer
Nobody is better at creating a market for his clients than Scott Boras, and perhaps this is just another one of his ploys. But because Adrian Beltre is coming off winning a Silver Slugger and could’ve won a Gold Glove, and because the Red Sox would most certainly want to resign him, what Boras said recently is worth noting.
While on MLB Network Radio on Thursday, the super agent said he has never had more interest in one of his free-agent clients than he has had for Beltre this offseason, which may be hard to believe considering Boras has represented the likes of Alex Rodriguez and Mark Teixeira, among so many other franchise-type players.
Boras said: “I would have to say in my years of doing this I’ve never had so much interest in one player. I’m not sure that the media quite understands what Boston did for Adrian Beltre, but I think his leadership has come to surface. We’ve had a number of teams contact us, vastly more than we ever expected, and we expected a good number, certainly. But there are teams wanting to move players to make room for him.”
Looks like Beltre’s 2011 destination won’t be known any time soon.
– Alden Gonzalez