Results tagged ‘ Skip Schumaker ’
Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports is reporting that the Reds and free agent IF/OF Skip Schumaker have agreed on a two-year contract, pending a physical. I am working to confirm that myself.
Schumaker, 33, played for the Dodgers last season and batted .263/.332/.322 in 125 games. From 2005-12, he played for the Cardinals. He would be reunited with his old Cardinals GM, Walt Jocketty, in Cincinnati.
A left-handed hitter, Schumaker is a career .300 hitter with a .357 on-base percentage against right-handed pitching and a .211 hitter with a .280 OBP vs. lefties. Defensively, he can play second base and all three outfield spots.
– Mark Sheldon
A few Cardinals tidbits:
* John Mozeliak and Bill DeWitt met with Dan Lozano for about an hour, and Mozeliak expects to speak with him again tonight. Mozeliak did not go into much detail as to the pace or results of the talks, but acknowledged that he wouldn’t be surprised if things pick up with Albert Pujols and various teams in the next few days.
* Per Mozeliak, the club is not assuming it has any “last right of refusal” for another team’s offer to Pujols. He said he has not asked and team Pujols has not indicated.
* Jesse Sanchez reported earlier today that the Cardinals are one of five teams in the hunt for Octavio Dotel. However, Mozeliak indicated that there’s really not much movement with Dotel right now.
* Mozeliak reiterated that the Cardinals will not be adding a starting pitcher, even if they do not sign Pujols.
* The Cardinals have spoken with Pujols directly since the season ended, not just with Lozano.
* Mozeliak acknowledged that it’s unlikely — “not inconceivable,” but unlikely — that the club has BOTH Skip Schumaker and Ryan Theriot next year. One or the other could well return, but probably not both.