Results tagged ‘ tigers ’

Tigers may not need to seek sub for V-Mart

The Tigers got some good news on Tuesday, when designated hitter Victor Martinez underwent successful left knee surgery in Florida. He is expected to be able to resume full activity in four to six weeks, putting him on schedule to be ready for Opening Day on April 6.

“We are very happy the surgery went well and that Victor will be ready to compete for the start of the 2015 season,” team president/general manager Dave Dombrowski said in a statement.

Barring any setbacks, Detroit won’t have to be without the veteran slugger for long, if at all. That probably means the club won’t be looking to the trade market for a temporary replacement, according to MLB.com’s Jason Beck.

It obviously would have been difficult for the Tigers to find anyone who could replicate Martinez’s production, especially at this late stage. Martinez hit .335/.409/.565 with 32 homers and 103 RBIs last season, leading the league in OPS and finishing second in AL MVP voting. A free agent this offseason, he re-signed with Detroit for $68 million over four years in November.

— Andrew Simon

Moncada working out for Padres, mixed reports on interest

Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada is reportedly working out for the Padres on Monday, according to Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports.

While Passan adds that San Diego “plans to be aggressive” in pursuing Moncada, a source tells MLB.com’s Corey Brock that the Padres might be done with their offseason spending spree after signing James Shields to a four-year, $75 million deal on Monday.

As for Moncada, the five-tool infielder is also believed to be receiving serious interest from at least 10 other teams — a list that includes the Dodgers, Yankees, Red Sox, A’s, Giants, Rangers, Cubs, Tigers, Phillies, and Cardinals. The Yankees, Red Sox and Dodgers have all been mentioned as potential frontrunners to land Moncada at various times this offseason.

Though naturally a shortstop, the 19-year-old phenom can also play second or third base. Along with bolstering the rotation by signing Shields on Monday, the Padres have already added Matt Kemp, Wil Myers and Justin Upton to their outfield corps this offseason.

While Moncada would just be the latest blockbuster move for the Padres this offseason, it’s unclear at this point whether or not the club is willing to spend big on yet another player after signing Shields.

— Paul Casella

Moncada hoping to sign somewhere soon

Now that he’s officially been declared a free agent, top Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada told MLB.com’s Jesse Sanchez that he hopes to “sign with a team soon.”

The 19-year-old Moncada has already held private workouts for the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Giants, Rangers, Rays, Tigers and Brewers. Other teams could also make a push to sign Moncada now that he’s actually allowed to sign a deal.

“My goal is to sign with a team soon, start training with them, and make it to the Major Leagues as fast as I can with whichever team that might be,” Moncada said in Spanish to MLB.com in his first interview since arriving in the United States in late November. “I know I’m going to do the best I can for as long as I can in this sport.”

Naturally a shortstop, Moncada can also play second or third base. The Yankees and Red Sox have long been mentioned as the potential favorites to sign Moncada, but the Dodgers have also been floated as one of the most likely landing spots.

— Paul Casella

David Price avoids arbitration with Tigers, sets record

The Tigers and left-hander David Price have agreed to a one-year, $19.75 million contract for the 2015 season to avoid salary arbitration, according to Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com.

It’s the richest deal for a player in an arbitration year. Price, who earned $14 million last year, is eligible to become a free agent following the season.

Price, 29, was 4-4 with a 3.59 ERA in 11 starts for the Tigers after being acquired from the Rays in a trade last season. He was a four-time All-Star with the Rays and won the American League Cy Young award in 2012.

— Austin Laymance

Tigers acquire Alfredo Simon from Reds

The Tigers have acquired right-hander Alfredo Simon from the Reds in exchange for infielder Eugenio Suarez and Minor League pitcher Jonathon Crawford.

Simon fills the void in the Tigers’ rotation left by the trade of Rick Porcello to Boston for outfielder Yoenis Cespedes. Simon, 33, was 15-10 with a 3.44 ERA over 32 starts in 2014. He had a great first half of the season, going 12-3 with a 2.70 ERA in 18 starts to earn his first All-Star selection.

Crawford, 23, was the 20th overall pick in the 2013 First-Year Player Draft. He spent the 2014 season with Class-A West Michigan, going 8-3 with a 2.85 ERA in 23 starts.

Suarez, 23, made his big league debut this year and played 85 games with Detroit, mainly at shortstop. He can also play third base. Suarez hit .242 with four home runs and 23 RBIs with the Tigers.

“We are excited to be acquiring two players we think will have a positive impact on our organization for years to come,” Reds president of baseball operations Walt Jocketty said in a statement.

–Austin Laymance

O’s among the teams interested in Cespedes

The Orioles reportedly view Red Sox outfielder Yoenis Cespedes as a potential fit in Baltimore, according to Rob Bradford of WEEI.com, though Bradford adds that there is “nothing remotely imminent” at this point.

It’s unclear at this point who the Red Sox would target in return, but Orioles left-hander Wei-Yin Chen would have to be considered a possibility. Chen, like Cespedes, is set to become a free agent following next season.

The Red Sox are also said to still be discussing a potential deal with the Tigers, according to ESPN’s Jayson Stark, that would involve swapping Cespedes for Rick Porcello, another starter entering the final year of his contract.

Boston doesn’t appear to be close on any potential trade involving Cespedes, but it’s starting to seem more and more likely that the Red Sox will solve their logjam in the outfield by moving Cespedes in exchange for starting pitching.

— Paul Casella

Scherzer market set to take off

With Jon Lester reportedly deciding to sign with the Cubs, the market for fellow free agent starter Max Scherzer should now begin to take shape.

That was immediately apparent on Wednesday, with CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman reporting that — with Lester’s decision looming — owners from two unidentified teams had flown to the Winter Meetings on Tuesday to meet in-person with Scherzer’s agent, Scott Boras. Though it’s unclear who exactly those two owners were, the market for Scherzer figures to come into focus in the coming days.

The three teams that ultimately came up short in the Lester sweepstakes — the Red Sox, Giants and Dodgers — could all turn their attention toward Scherzer, while Heyman also mentions the Yankees, Cardinals and Tigers as other possibilities. Reports surfaced on Tuesday that the Tigers were ready to spend big money to bring back Scherzer, but general manager Dave Dombrowski denied such a notion, saying instead that the club’s position has not changed.

Scherzer is said to be looking for a contract north of $200 million and, with Lester out of the way and so many teams still in the market for an elite starter, he seems likely to land one.

— Paul Casella

Romo talking to Giants

Free agent reliever Sergio Romo has reportedly had talks with the Giants, according to FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal. He had previously reported that the Tigers had also engaged in talks with Romo, but he later recanted that report.

The Astros were also believed to have interest in Romo, though that door is likely closed with Houston reportedly closing in on deals with both Luke Gregerson and Pat Neshek.

The Giants demoted Romo out of the closer’s role last season, but the right-hander seemed to have rediscovered his touch by season’s end. After struggling to a 4.74 ERA over 40 first-half outings, Romo notched an impressive 1.80 ERA in 24 outings after the All-Star break. San Francisco also has plenty of money to spend after missing out on in its pursuit of both Pablo Sandoval and Jon Lester.

The Tigers, meanwhile, have insisted that they remain confident with Joe Nathan and Joakim Soria at the back end of their bullpen, but it wouldn’t be surprising to see them ultimately pursue some insurance. After all, Detroit’s bullpen posted a 4.29 ERA last season, third-worst in the American League.

Romo’s market could develop even further with Gregerson and Neshek now reportedly off the board, as well as top relievers Andrew Miller and David Robertson.

— Paul Casella

Tigers intent on keeping Scherzer

The Tigers’ primary focus is on re-signing marquee free agent Max Scherzer, according to ESPN’s Buster Olney.

The market for Scherzer has been relatively quiet so far this offseason, though that’s likely to change over the next 24 hours with fellow free agent starter Jon Lester expected to announce his decision.

Olney writes that the Tigers are not only “prepared to spend big, big dollars” to sign Scherzer, but that they also plan to keep co-ace David Price in the fold for 2015, as well. Again, there has been very little talk surrounding Scherzer to this point as teams wait to see where Lester ends up.

Aside from the Tigers, other teams that have been linked to Scherzer in varying extents include the Red Sox, Yankees, Dodgers, Nationals, Phillies, Cardinals, Cubs, Giants, and Blue Jays. The team that ultimately signs Lester will obviously drop off that list.

Regardless, the final cost for Scherzer figures to be enormous, given the amount of deep-pocketed teams that are in the market for an elite starter. Scherzer, keep in mind, turned down a $144 million extension offer from the Tigers last spring.

— Paul Casella

Red Sox extend one-year offer to Masterson

The Red Sox have reportedly extended a one-year offer to free agent right-hander Justin Masterson, according to Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe.

The Red Sox are pursuing Masterson as a potential starter, not a relief option. That said, they are certainly not alone in their pursuit. It was reported on Monday by CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman that the Rangers also have an offer in to Masterson, while a number of other teams, including the Marlins, White Sox, Royals, Giants, Cubs, Tigers, Indians and Twins are all known to have interest as well.

Teams are banking on a bounceback year for Masterson, who is coming off a season in which he posted an unsightly 5.88 ERA over 28 injury-hampered outings (25 starts) between the Indians and Cardinals. Now seemingly healthy, teams are hoping to find a bargain with a one- or two-year deal for the 29-year-old righty.

— Paul Casella

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 812 other followers