Results tagged ‘ vernon wells ’
The Yankees have designated outfielder Vernon Wells for assignment to clear room on their 40-man roster, ESPN.com’s Buster Olney reported on Friday.
Wells, 35, spent one season in New York, where he hit .233 with 11 homers and 50 RBIs in 130 games. The 15-year veteran has seen his production decline over his last three seasons — the previous two with the Angels — as he’s hit .227 over that span.
The three-time All-Star and three-time Gold Glover spent the first 12 years of his career with the Blue Jays.
— Joey Nowak
The acquisition of Josh Hamilton was, in many ways, a two-for-one signing because it also allows general manager Jerry Dipoto to trade a suddenly-expendable player for another starting pitcher.
Question is: Can the Angels take on more payroll in the process?
Hamilton’s five-year, $125 million contract will pay him $17 million in 2013 ($15 million in salary, plus a $10 million signing bonus that’s dispersed evenly over the course of his five-year contract). That, in addition to arbitration projections and minimum contracts, puts the Angels’ 2013 payroll at roughly $159 million, which is about where they finished at last year.
Asked about expanding it further in case of adding a pricey arm, Angels president John Carpino basically said it would be considered on a case-by-case basis.
“Instead of putting [the payroll] at a place where it’s, ‘This is where we’re at,’ it’s, ‘What’s the opportunity cost of doing it?'” Carpino said at Hamilton’s Saturday news conference. “So, if something became available that’s an opportunity cost, it just comes down to wanting to win. But it also has to make sense fiscally.”
Teams are a lot more willing to give up a would-be free agent than a cost-controlled arm, of course.
That’s why, with R.A. Dickey off the board, names like Ricky Nolasco of the Marlins ($11.5 million in his walk year), Gavin Floyd of the White Sox ($9.5 million in his walk year) and Matt Garza of the Cubs (projected $10 million in his final arbitration year) seem to be the most feasible. Rick Porcello of the Tigers (projected $4.7 million in his second arbitration year) has also been mentioned.
Peter Bourjos, who’s still a year away from arbitration and will make about $500,000 in 2013, appeals to many teams. Kendrys Morales, Vernon Wells and — seemingly to a lesser extent — Mark Trumbo can also be made available.
The Angels’ preference would be to acquire a young, pre-arbitration starter who won’t add to the budget (Jeremy Hellickson and Matt Moore of the Rays comes to mind). But whether or not that situation presents itself remains to be seen.
— Alden Gonzalez
As the offseason ensues, and the chances of Torii Hunter returning to the Angels continues to look awfully bleak, the list of potential suitors for the veteran right fielder continues to grow.
On Monday, CBSSports.com reported that as many as 13-14 teams have checked in on Hunter, with the Tigers, Rangers and Braves being the most aggressive. The Dodgers are out on Hunter, according to ESPNLosAngeles.com, which said Hunter will make a decision on his 2013 destination within the next couple weeks.
As for the Angels? They haven’t offered Hunter anything more than a one-year, $5 million contract since mid-September, a source said, because they have plenty of depth in their outfield and need to allocate funds to shore up their pitching — specifically a rotation that has only two 2012 members guaranteed to return and a bullpen that blew 22 saves.
General manager Jerry Dipoto previously admitted that it’s “not likely” Hunter returns, and Hunter’s agent, Larry Reynolds, echoed those same thoughts. They could free up more money for Hunter if they get something back on the $42 million owed to Vernon Wells over the next two seasons, but that doesn’t seem favorable right now, either.
Hunter, 37, batted a career-high .313 with 16 homers and 92 RBIs in 2012. His production, health and athleticism at this stage in his career, coupled with his leadership and character, make him an appealing, affordable free agent. So does not having to give up a Draft pick to sign him, since the Angels didn’t tender a $13.3 million qualifying offer to Hunter.
“My plan is to win no matter what, and of course I’m going to try to get with a ballclub that’s trying to win,” Hunter recently told MLB.com. “That’s the plan.”
CLEVELAND – There has been considerable talk about the need of another bat or a reliever, but Angels manager Mike Scioscia seems content with his roster. Before Monday night’s game against the Indians, Scioscia didn’t dismiss outright the notion of a non-waiver Trade Deadline deal being made by Sunday – but didn’t sound overly encouraged or even enthused about the prospect.
Owner “Arte Moreno has spent enough money,” Scioscia said. “We need to get it in-house. It’s realistic. It’s not a wing and a prayer. I think we’ll get better, and I’ve already seen signs of it.”
In Scioscia’s mind, a return to form by Fernando Rodney after missing five weeks with upper back issues “is like a huge trade acquisition.” Rodney couldn’t have looked much better in his first appearance since returning to the bullpen, striking out two of the three hitters he faced in Baltimore on Saturday with fastballs only.
“It’s hard to get a guy who can throw anywhere from middle [relief] to late in the game and have the possibility to close,” Scioscia said, referring to Rodney. He brings back-end balance in the form of two right-handers (with closer Jordan Walden) and two lefties (Scott Downs and Hisanori Takahashi).”
There have been reports connecting the Angels to the Padres and Heath Bell, but the Angels have been down that road before and the asking price was way too high for their taste.
Scisocia seems convinced the Angels’ offense has the right pieces but just needs Bobby Abreu, Torii Hunter, Maicer Izturis and Vernon Wells to produce closer to the level of their track records. – Lyle Spencer
Frigid weather notwithstanding, the Angels are geared up for their season opener against the Royals.
“Every Opening Day is a new experience,” clubhouse leader Torii Hunter said. “We have a great blend here of young guys who can’t wait to get started with their careers and older guys like Vernon [Wells], Bobby [Abreu] and myself who can teach them some things and show them the way. I really like our team. I think we’re ready for a big year.”
Angels manager Mike Scioscia echoed Hunter’s sentiments, adding that he’ll feel even better when Kendrys Morales returns from his foot ailment to fortify the heart of the lineup.
“We’re definitely excited, ready to get after it,” Scioscia said from the visitors’ dugout about 2 1/2 hours before game time at Kauffman Stadium. “We feel good about where we are. I know we have some growth. I hope we can continue to improve as we get into the season and get a little deeper.”
That depth was a reference not only to Morales, who could be back in about three weeks, but also setup man Scott Downs, whose recovery from a broken bone in his left big toe is right on schedule. — Lyle Spencer
As much as the 2011 offseason will be remembered for Cliff Lee and his suitors, for the Red Sox’s offensive overhaul and for even the Royals and Zack Greinke, it stands to be remembered for the Angels, too.
A week ago, that memory would have been of a team that seemingly sat idle. The Angels’ well-known top target, Carl Crawford, was scooped up in front of their eyes at the Winter Meetings in Florida. Their next free-agent mark, Adrian Beltre — who plays third base, a position where they sorely needed improvement — went to a division rival that seemingly had less of a need at the hot corner, Texas.
Then came Friday, when Los Angeles struck a deal with the Blue Jays to bring in outfielder Vernon Wells. Wells, 32, thus far hasn’t lived up to a seven-year, $126 million deal thus far, and $86 million and four years remain on the deal. The Angels are assuming all of that contract, with Mike Napoli and Juan Rivera sent away in the deal.
On Wednesday, Wells was officially introduced in Anaheim, and the Angels have now officially made a significant move.
Whether they’re significantly improved, though, and improved in a cost-effective manner — that’s still unknown, and is probably the most open-ended storyline of the offseason.
Around the league, others were busy around the Hot Stove Wednesday, even with Spring Training less than three weeks away:
? The Reds and right-hander Johnny Cueto finalized a four-year, $27 million contract, allowing them to skip arbitration. The 24-year-old went 12-7 with a 3.64 ERA in 31 starts last season, setting several career high marks.
? Coming off the worst season of his to-be Hall of Fame career, Yankees captain Derek Jeter started working out in Tampa, Fla., with hitting coach Kevin Long. The 36-year-old shortstop signed a three-year, $51 million deal this offseason after hitting a career-low .270 batting average in 2010 — 44 points below his lifetime mark of .314 — with 10 home runs and 67 RBIs in 157 games.
? Adding another veteran, the Yankees inked right-hander Bartolo Colon to a Minor League deal that reportedly could pay him as much as $900,000 if he makes the Major League club out of camp. Colon, 37, did not pitch in the bigs in 2010, but pitched well in the Dominican Winter League.
? Left-hander Andy Pettitte, could be on his way back to New York. Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said that the door remains open as Pettitte works out in Texas, and according to SI.com, the club’s latest contract offer stood at one season for $12 million. This season would be the 17th for the 38-year-old Pettitte.
? One of the Mets’ marquee names, Johan Santana, has not begun his throwing program as part of his rehabilitation from left shoulder surgery last September, general manager Sandy Alderson said. Santana was cleared Jan. 14. “I think the [physical therapists] recommended that he continue to do certain exercises, and when he feels like he’s ready to toss, he will,” Alderson said. “He’s medically cleared, but to my knowledge, he hasn’t actually started throwing yet.”
? The Mets introduced Chin-lung Hu, a utility infielder on Wednesday, a move that got more attention than might be expected because of the cultural draw. Hu, 26 and acquired from the Dodgers in a trade last month for Minor League pitcher Mike Antonini, would become the Mets’ first Taiwanese-born player if he makes the team. There have only been six Taiwanese-born players in Major League history.
? The Angels and ace right-hander Jered Weaver are discussing a contract extension. Weaver, an All-Star for the first time in 2010 while leading the Majors in strikeouts, has requested $8.8 million in salary arbitration, with the Angels offering $7.3 million. Weaver is eligible for free agency after the 2012 season. Scott Boras is his agent.
? Yasiel Balaguer, an 18-year-old Cuban outfielder, is to work out for the Marlins. Balaguer arrived in Miami in November after leaving Cuba while traveling to Mexico. His athleticism and defense have drawn comparisons to Andruw Jones.
? The Astros and right-hander Wandy Rodriguez, who turned 32 last week, avoided arbitration with a three-year deal that guarantees him $34 million. It also contains a vesting option for 2014 that could bring the total value to $44.5 million.
? The Twins added another experienced arm to their bullpen competition by claiming left-hander Dusty Hughes off waivers from the Royals. Hughes, 28, was 1-3 with a 3.83 ERA, 24 walks and 34 strikeouts over 56 1/3 innings for KC in 2010.
? The Rockies brought back utility man Alfredo Amezaga on a Minor League contract with an invitation to big league camp. The Rockies also signed veteran catcher Chad Moeller to a Minor League deal as a non-roster player.
? San Diego signed Jorge Cantu and also reportedly signed right-handed reliever Greg Burke. Burke is on a Minor League deal.
? The D-backs and catcher Miguel Montero <a href="" http:="" arizona.diamondbacks.mlb.com="" news="" article.jsp?ymd="20110126&content_id=16514398&vkey=news_ari&c_id=ari"avoided"" arbitration="" with a one-year, $3.2 million contract.
— Evan Drellich