Results tagged ‘ Walt Jocketty ’

Cairo re-signs with Reds

The first transaction was completed by the Reds on Wednesday as utility infielder Miguel Cairo was re-signed to a two-year contract. The terms aren’t known, but GM Walt Jocketty said ‘it’s less than market.”

The deal was agreed to on Tuesday night.

“Miguel played a big part in the success of our club this year,” Jocketty said. “He had a very good year. He’s a veteran player that keeps himself in great shape and is always ready to play and fills in a lot of ways. He’s instrumental in the makeup of the clubhouse. He wanted a two-year deal. We talked about it. The price was right so we did it.”

In 90 games with the Reds, Cairo batted .290. He made 38 starts at four positions (26gs at 3B, 9gs at 1B, 2gs at 2B, 1gs at RF).

In other news — talks are ongoing with the agent for Arthur Rhodes.

The two asides are still divided on money.

“We met with his agent again today. We made some progress but we’re a ways a part,” Jocketty said.

It appears that LHP Denys Reyes is headed to the Phillies, which were reportedly taking a look at Rhodes too. That lessened his options a bit. At 41, Rhodes was seeking a multi-year deal.

“He is but he’s not going to get it from us,” Jocketty said. “I think he is OK with that.”

– Mark Sheldon

 

Hernandez back with Reds

Ramon Hernandez was re-signed by the Reds to a one-year, $3 million contract on Monday.
Hernandez, along with Ryan Hanigan, helped Reds catchers lead the National League at their position with a .296 average. 

In 97 games this season, Hernandez batted .297 with seven home runs and 48 RBIs.  He became a free agent earlier this month because his $3.25 million vesting 2011 option was only guaranteed had he played 120 games.

“We wanted to provide our young pitching staff with some continuity. We felt all of our pitchers were comfortable pitching to Ramon,” Reds general manager Walt Jocketty said in a statement. “We also like his production at the plate. Our catchers were very solid last year offensively.”

– Mark Sheldon

 

Arroyo, Gomes options picked up

The Reds exercised the $11 million club option for 2011 on RHP Bronson Arroyo and the $1.75 million option on OF Jonny Gomes Wednesday. Not picked up were the $4 million option on SS Orlando Cabrera ($1M buyout) and the $12.75 million option on RHP Aaron Harang ($2M buyout). Both Cabrera and Harang become free agents.

None of these moves come as a shocker. Arroyo has been one of the Reds’ most consistent pitchers since he joined the club in 2006. He won a career high 17 games this season and has 200 innings pitched in six-straight seasons.

Gomes drove in a career-best 86 RBIs while batting .266 with 18 homers.

I have a call into the voice mail of GM Walt Jocketty. I expect he will still pursue Cabrera at a lower price, which he indicated he’d do when asked last month. There’s no word yet on progress towards a contract extension on Arroyo.

 

– Mark Sheldon

Reds have option decisions

Another new rule change for this off-season is that player or club options must be resolved within three days of the World Series ending. That means Thursday.

For the Reds, that affects these four players:

SS Orlando Cabrera ($4 million mutal option, $1 million buyout if club declines, $500K if he declines)
OF Jonny Gomes ($1.75 million club option)
RHP Aaron Harang ($12.75 million club option, $2 million buyout)
RHP Bronson Arroyo ($11 million, but could be $13 million based on No. of innings pitched — I don’t have that number handy)

There could be an announcement as early as Wednesday.

“I think we’ve got a pretty good idea but I want to go through it one more time,” general manager Walt Jocketty said from Arizona on Tuesday. He was planning to watch some Fall League games this week.

Jocketty said during the playoffs the Reds already planned on picking up Arroyo’s option, and might even try to extend his deal. The club was leaning towards retaining Gomes. As for Cabrera, Jocketty previously revealed he wasn’t inclined to bring him back for $4 million but had interest at a cheaper price.

 

– Mark Sheldon

All quiet with the Reds

It’s been crickets and tumbleweeds around the Reds during this final week before the Trade Deadline. (That means it’s been quiet). General manager Walt Jocketty confirmed as much on Wednesday morning.

“It’s quiet. I don’t expect anything to happen, not with us,” Jocketty said. “A lot of times it doesn’t start to escalate until the last few days. Maybe when we get back home, it might change.”

Jocketty has been making and taking calls this week but nothing has gotten to the interesting phase it seems.

“Not a lot but a few. Talking to other clubs, there’s always some outlandish proposals,” he said. “The sense I get from other clubs is two factors. People don’t want to give up their young prospects and clubs don’t want to take on additional payroll. That makes it hard to make a deal. Again, that may change closer to the deadline.”

Even if it’s quiet — Jocketty has pulled off deadline trades each of the last two seasons that no one saw coming. Last year, the Reds acquired Scott Rolen minutes before the deadline and in 2008, the Reds dealt Ken Griffey Jr. to the White Sox.

— Mark Sheldon

Reds to look at Izzy?

Former All-Star reliever and free agent Jason Isringhausen told radio station KFNS in St. Louis that he is scheduled to throw for GM Walt Jocketty and the Reds this week.

Isringhausen last pitched in the Majors for the Rays in June 2009 before his elbow blew out and he had Tommy John surgery. Jocketty is very familiar with the ex-closer because he had him with the Cardinals from 2002-08 (including the World Series winning 2006 season) as he posted 217 saves with a 2.98 ERA. He told the radio station he’d likely need a couple of weeks in the Minors before he’d be ready for the big leagues again.

The Reds just signed former Cardinals reliever Russ Springer on Thursday. It’s clear Jocketty wants to supplement the bullpen but perhaps this is a sign the prices are too high for Cincinnati to trade for a reliever as the deadline nears.

UPDATE — Jocketty confirmed that the session will happen. He told me this afternoon that the signing of Springer and the look at Isringhausen is a reflection of what he’s seeing lately out there.

“There’s not a lot available on the market,” Jocketty said. “I know these guys. I know what they can do if they’re healthy and still able to perform at the level they were. They’ve been through it. They know what it’s all about. It fits in a little bit with our plan.”

– Mark Sheldon

More bullpen help for Reds?

The Reds added a veteran reliever when they signed 41-year-old RHP Russ Springer to a Minor League deal on Thursday. Springer will report to Triple-A Louisville. But GM Walt Jocketty may not be done tweaking the bullpen, which has several young pitchers as the Reds seek to win the NL Central.

“I think probably what I’d be looking for more than anything is probably a little more experience in the bullpen, bullpen depth,” Jocketty said on Thursday. “I still like our club the way it is. We have some guys coming back, [Edinson] Volquez coming back, we still have [Aroldis] Chapman trying to get ready to go out of the bullpen. So it may not be that critical of a need but if there was one area, Chapman could be a help, but he still doesn’t have the experience. That’s part of the reason we signed Russ Springer today to a Triple-A contract. He was going to retire and then decided to come back.”

Jocketty also didn’t express much optimism about the state of the trade market.

“I talked to a few GMs during the break and there’s a lot of talk right now,” he said. “There’s not a lot of guys that are available. Part of the problem is I see talking to different clubs is no one wants to take on money and no one wants to take the money even if you trade prospects. Financially it might be tougher this year than it has in the past.”

– Mark Sheldon

Roundup: Cardinals give GM a 3-year extension

It turns out John Mozeliak‘s deal with the Cardinals won’t expire just yet. The club awarded its general manager a three-year contract extension on Thursday, which will keep him with the club through 2013 and keep him from walking away at the end of this season, according to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. 
Mozeliak joined the Cardinals via the scouting department in 1995 and later served for five years as assistant GM under Walt Jocketty, who’s now with the Reds — the team leading the Cardinals in the division by a game. Mozeliak, named senior vice president and GM after the ’07 season, is most noted for acquiring Matt Holliday before the non-waiver Trade Deadline, then signing him to a seven-year contract at the end of the season — one that saw St. Louis claim a National League Central title. 
Here’s more from around the league … 
* The Reds are “looking hard” for right-handed relief help, ESPN’s Buster Olney wrote in his Twitter account. Kerry Wood, Olney speculates, could be an option. 

* The Dodgers placed late-inning lefty reliever George Sherrill on waivers recently, a baseball source told MLB.com’s Ken Gurnick. Sherrill, owed $4.5 million this season, posted a 1.70 ERA in 72 games last year, but has a 7.32 ERA in 34 appearances this season.

* The Padres may be in contention, and Adrian Gonzalez may be under contract for another season after this one, but the Red Sox still like him, and would still like to attain him, according to a report from WEEI.com.  

* The Angels are not willing to trade outfield prospect Mike Trout, USA Today’s Bob Nightengale wrote on his Twitter account. 

* Rice third baseman Anthony Rendon, expected by many to be a top pick in the upcoming First-Year Player Draft in June, suffered a fracture-dislocation of his right ankle while playing in a USA Baseball Collegiate Team exhibition against Korea on Wednesday night, writes MLB.com’s Jonathan Mayo. He will require surgery and will miss the rest of Team USA’s summer season. 

– Alden Gonzalez

Reds one of three teams in on Lee

The Reds made a hard run the last couple of days at getting Cliff Lee from the Mariners. Reds GM Walt Jocketty believed his club was one of three teams that had a chance. From reports, I’d imagine the Yankees were definitely the other team that didn’t get him. Obviously, Lee was dealt from Seattle to Texas today in a six-player trade that moved premier prospect Justin Smoak to the Mariners.

“We felt we made a pretty substantial offer,” Jocketty said. “Obviously, they felt the Texas deal was better.”

Asked if he would pursue another starting pitcher, Jocketty said this:

“If you’re talking about significantly upgrading, this guy was a significant upgrade. I’m not sure there’s another guy like that out there that we can get right now. We’ll keep looking.”

Jocketty did not disclose the players Seattle asked for or his own proposals.

“It’s just one of those deals you would have liked to have done because we wanted to show our club we’re doing everything we can possible,” he said. “They’re doing their job on the field and we’re trying to do our job in the front office to keep us where we’re at.”

 — Mark Sheldon

Reds, Mariners discuss Lee?

Trade Deadline speculation this summer continues to have the Reds as a possible destination for Mariners lefty Cliff Lee. Seattle is receiving offers for Lee and Reds general manager Walt Jocketty would not confirm or deny that the club is one of those teams in the hunt. A report in the Cincinnati Enquirer on Monday said the Reds and Mariners talked last month while the two teams played at Seattle.

“We’ll do whatever we can to improve the club,” Jocketty told MLB.com Monday. “It’s going to have to be a significant improvement to disrupt what we’ve got, the chemistry and so forth of the club.”

Lee, a free agent at season’s end, is making $8 million this season. The Mariners would likely want Major League-ready prospects and the Reds have several. The first name that comes to mind is Triple-A Louisville first baseman Yonder Alonso, who is blocked at his primary position by Joey Votto.

– Mark Sheldon

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 646 other followers